shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the ring picked out! now what?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ordieth

Rough_Rock
OK! I finally have everything figured out!
16.gif
Well... almost...
21.gif

Here is the ring I am going to get
30.gif

Center Stone:
0.82 ct G SI1 Round Ideal Cut
. Depth %: 61.1
. Table %: 56.2
. Crown Angle: 35.6
. Crown %: 15.9
. Star : 54
. Pavilion Angle: 40.4
. Pavilion %: 42.4
. Lower Girdle %: 78
. Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 6.04-6.07X3.69
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

/images/site/d_lostF.jpg/images/site/d_lost.jpg

This is my Setting!!!
30.gif
30.gif

3 Stone Truffle Ring with Round Center and Round sides

904-b.gif

All I have left are 5 or 6 questions....

1) I found the ring online for about 300 dollars less, but the B&M store I went too has it in stock, and will set the ring for me (but they will tax me). Should I buy the ring online, and have a jeweler set it, or should I just let them do it for the extra money?
22.gif

2) Insurance, who is the best and how should I go about getting it? (I have heard that Chubb is really good, should I get the ring appraised first?)

3) Once I buy the diamond, should I get it appraised if it has an AGS report?
33.gif

4) Should I try to get this ring as an X-mass gift... or wait till I save up the last of the 2k I need?
38.gif

5) Any other things I should be asking myself before I do all this?
31.gif

Thank you for all your help, this is so exciting!!!
36.gif
36.gif

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
You should get the diamond appraised BEFORE you buy it if possible and its a good idea even if you have the AGS report. I went with Chubb for my insurance but I think they have a minimum... talk to an agent about it. In the event of a claim they pay you in cash, plus if during the time between you getting the insurance and the loss, if there is a price increase they pay up to 150% of the insured amount. You can purchase the replacement item where you want to replace it. I say get the ring as an x-mas gift if you can afford it. If not wait, you can always make an opportunity to propose. Its not worth going in debt if you can help it.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Another thing... with the insurance I would recommend going with an independent agent that sells a chubb policy. Even though they probably get some sort of commission, its someone that will fight for you in the case of a loss. I took this off another post... so its someone elses opinion but "a good Chubb agent is Bill Castro at www.totaldollar.com"

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, that Vatche setting likely comes in different sizes depending on the size of the center stone and the side stones will be adjusted accordingly. Are you sure the setting the jeweler has in stock is the right size for your stone?

I think a Christmas proposal would be lovely if it won''t pose any financial hardship.

I personally do not see a need for another appraisal on a stone from WF which will come with an insurance appraisal and an AGS report. But you will need the jeweler who sets the stone to write you a new insurance valuation which will include the setting.

I plan to change my ring to Chubb once I get it in the right setting. I am using a Chubb agent in my state.

The Vatche is a fine quality setting and I think your ring is going to be beautiful!!! Can''t wait to see the pictures!

Ordieth

Rough_Rock
Thank you both.
21.gif
I will call my local agents too see if they offer the ring insurance. (their websites dont seem to....
40.gif
)

Date: 11/21/2006 9:03:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
First of all, that Vatche setting likely comes in different sizes depending on the size of the center stone and the side stones will be adjusted accordingly. Are you sure the setting the jeweler has in stock is the right size for your stone?

I think a Christmas proposal would be lovely if it won''t pose any financial hardship.

I personally do not see a need for another appraisal on a stone from WF which will come with an insurance appraisal and an AGS report. But you will need the jeweler who sets the stone to write you a new insurance valuation which will include the setting.

I plan to change my ring to Chubb once I get it in the right setting. I am using a Chubb agent in my state.

The Vatche is a fine quality setting and I think your ring is going to be beautiful!!! Can''t wait to see the pictures!
Thank you for haveing such good information for me diamondseeker2006.
35.gif

"Financial Hardship" is such a strong phrase....
9.gif
I am sure I can handle it, I am just nervous about spending so much money in one shot...
40.gif
But it''s all for love, so I think it will work itself out.
30.gif

The Lady who showed me the vatche ring said that the current center stone was a .90, but was unable to give me any measurements of the stone. However, she did ask about fitting a .82 into the ring, and said it wouldn''t be a real problem.
21.gif

I will be sure to ask about the new insurance valuation from the jeweler for the ring, and I can''t wait to post pictures of the finished product... I hope it looks as good in real life as it does in my head....
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results