shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my rhodolite. Photo inside

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So here is a photo. It''s a pretty dark stone which does bug me a little. It goes real dark in indoor shadows.Perhaps thats the nature of rhodolite garnets? Anyone know? Of course the cut is wonderful. It''s very purple and flashes some interesting colors including blue! I never expected blue flashes :) It reminds me a little of an amethyst or purple spinel.
Size is 8.24. PG graded the color a 4 plus and clarity a 5.

Maybe I can get a few more photos later.

rhodolitepic398.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The color reminds me of a plum.

rhodolitepic373.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Looking darker.

rhodolitepic473.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about my hands. I wash them a lot because I spend so much time around pre school kids. My hands look about 10 years older than my true age.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and nice cut! Congrats!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a very pretty color and I love the cut! Are you planning on setting it?

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE that stone! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
30.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I guess my plan was to set it so I probably will. I''d need to find a very airy setting though. I love bezels but think this one would really darken in a bezel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s beautiful, I love the cut on that stone!! I didn''t know you worked with pre-school children. People that work with young children have my deep respect and admiration. That is such a hard job.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don''t work with them as in I get paid. My daughter belongs to a co-op pre school, so all the parents work there. On days I''m not working I''m there a lot too just to help out. All the parents also participate in all the fundraisers. It''s actually very time consuming but it''s been great for my daughter and I love getting to know all the other families. Probably TMI but oh well :)

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love the cut and the color.

My stones look different with certain lightings. Some stones look better outdoors, others in the shade, and some under atificial lighting.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty - I really like it
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It''s absolutely gorgeous. I bet you can get it to glow grapey purple in the right light....
10.gif

Keep playing with it, and give us some more pictures, please.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know who the cutter is as soon as I saw the first picture. Nice stone.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 5:06:18 PM
Author:innerkitten
So here is a photo. It's a pretty dark stone which does bug me a little. It goes real dark in indoor shadows.Perhaps thats the nature of rhodolite garnets? Anyone know? Of course the cut is wonderful. It's very purple and flashes some interesting colors including blue! I never expected blue flashes :) It reminds me a little of an amethyst or purple spinel.
Size is 8.24. PG graded the color a 4 plus and clarity a 5.

Maybe I can get a few more photos later.
Very nice stone, the cut is wonderful. My Malaya garnet can be dark at times, when the light is not strong. However, my stone surprised me with its ability to shift in color from orange to red in different light, which I think makes up for it being dark at times. Your stone sounds interesting and I am sure its varying colors will keep you entertained. I love playing with my garnet in different light, as it often surprises me. Something tells me that your garnet will continue to surprise you as well.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone, I love the color!!!
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow it''s gorgeous!!! What a delish color!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a really cool stone IK. I do hope you enjoy it.
3.gif
Seeing yours has made me realize I need more garnets...

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe I should make a list of stones, and how they look in various light. Garnets, especially ones that are of the red and orange color are definitely ladies of the night. They show the best color in incandescent light. In florescent and shadowed daylight close up and turn darker, with the color shifting to a much cooler (blueish) color. This is just the opposite for red and pink tourmalines.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks, Gene!

i too think a bezel will darken this stone up more than you''d like.

mz

ps thread jack: wow, InnerKitten, i remember when you were expecting your beautiful little girl! how time flies and how fast she is growing up. she''s adoreable.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t think this cut would be effected at all by a bezel setting. A really well cut stone gets all it''s light through the crown, and reflects it all back out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
true, but i think its a trick played by the mind sometimes. since she already thinks its a bit dark, the bezel may just draw attention to that fact.

i think it would be lovely with a bezel but the pavillion left open.

don''t know how deep this particular stone is but i''ve seen stones that were shallow set that way: in fact, i saw a 7 plus carat richard homer cut spess in santa cruz recently [set in yellow gold and for between $6k and $7k, at the Vault if anyone is interested] that faces up larger than my 8.18 spess but is way way more shallow. now that stone wasn''t dark at all but the setting was very open [no bezel] and despite being shallow the pavillion was left open. quite a looker!

i''m not a big rhodolite fan because they tend to be dark, but i gotta say that this stone sounds like it has a lot of personality and flashes of blue in a garnet would be simply hard to resist.

mz

ps gene, i had my mali out on the table and my husband actually noticed it there! it was in a more difussed light at the time: he thought i was testing him to see if he''d noticed i''d bought a new stone.....i assured him that this was the very same i bought 1.5 years ago. i think he''s even more impressed with the stone now than he was when i bought it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few really well cut stones that are too dark for bezels. I would not bezel them.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME STONE.....LOVE IT!

Lori

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Lovely cut and color! Beautiful stone!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
could be it just looks that way when bezeled. You ladies know way more than me, I don''t own a single piece of jewelry.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! Looks very sparkly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results