shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my feet wet!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you all know I have been thinking about a colored gem purchase for quite a while. I didn''t know what gemstone or what color to get. I just knew that I didn''t want blue ''cause I already have several blue gemstone rings. My birthstone is garnet and I''ve always disliked the dark dark red garnets that I''ve seen.

So, I just ordered a Spess Garnet from www.acstones.com !

Hope I like it when I get it. From her picture I like the color mix and I like the cut and the size.

What do you all think, be gentle now it''s my first purchase.

Spess 2.03ct 7.1mm.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great. I like the specialty cut on it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooooo, I am so excited for you Stone Hunter; yummy!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono and Skippy.

I do like the cut and it has more size mm wise than another stone I was looking at.

I want to set it in a ring so now it''s time to look at stock settings. I wonder what I could feed or promise my kids to get them to hang out at a jewelry store while I look in a catalog?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuller and Adwar have online catalouges, which you can browse with relative peace at home.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful stone!!!!

Linda

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone, Stone Hunter! That''s going to make a great ring.

I too knuckled under to the sale prices and bought a few things from ACStones as well.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
oooh that''s beautiful.

I''m looking to ''wet my feet'' but unsure whether or not I want an emerald or garnet all I know is that I want an asscher cut stone set in a chunky lucida-style white gold ring. Unfortunately I''m having a nightmare trying to find a completed ring. Does anyone have a reliable source?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet,
Me too! I looked at ALL the inventory at ACS today to see if there's anything I just HAD to have. Unfortuantely, no.
15.gif
But then again, my wallet is happier for that.
12.gif
So, what did you get?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I think this is neat...I love to play!

RHRwithspess.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, gorgeous stone!! I can''t wait to see it when you get it in person!! Hope there will be plenty more pics.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I''m ready for real life photies!!!
30.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Oh Stone Hunter, that stone is gorgeous. I really like the cut and the color is lovely. It will look fantastic set in a ring.

And yes, I confess to also making a purchase from AC Stones today. LOL! I have had my eye on one of Barbara''s pink spinels for a while now. And thanks to the sale, it became mine today!

31.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous spessartite, Stone Hunter. I can''t wait to see your finished piece of jewelry.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2007 3:58:45 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I think this is neat...I love to play!
WOW you''re really really good at photoshop! That''s lovely.

I have small fingers from bottom to knuckle so that setting wouldn''t fit me. I''d like something fairly open that will show the faceting on the pavillion. Of course that''s what I think without having seen the stone in person yet.

An open basket setting and then the shank swirling to meet it? I cant'' quite describe what I have in my mind and I have looked at stuller and adwar and not really seen THE setting.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANKS for your support Linda, Kismet, Po10472, IWanna, Catmom, Joolskie, and Marcyc!

I am a total novice at picking colored stones. I hung out here and asked so many questions and everyone was so helpful. I have high hopes for this stone. Now I have to wait for it to be mailed and wait for it to arrive.

While waiting I''m going to look at settings. Then once I get it, photograph it, and post my photos on PS... I''ll take it to a local jeweler and see what they have to say about settings and cost.

I am going to try an independant jewelery store first but my husband suggested Jared for setting the stone?!! Any thoughts on that??

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a great looking stone, round is my favorite shape.
Yes, was looking at the acs sale. There were a few blue sapphires I had my eye on if they were available was pretty seriously going to buy, to make into a ring in honor of newest daughter. But alas they were already SOLD. I was putting smaller fun items in my cart but ended up taking them out, as I should not be making impulse purchases at this time.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANKS. I've looked online at Adwar and Stuller. Adwar is very hard to use. Stuller has a couple of possibilities. I checked out Wink and Pearlmans. Any other ideas for settings?

I want a NICE setting but not super expensive.

ETA: Is 18k gold stronger or does it last longer than 14K gold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of malleablity, 18kt is softer than 14kt, but it is still very strong, otherwise no one will be making settings in 18kt. Are you going with a white or yellow metal?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that color is TO DIE FOR!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 11:40:31 AM
Author: Chrono
In terms of malleablity, 18kt is softer than 14kt, but it is still very strong, otherwise no one will be making settings in 18kt. Are you going with a white or yellow metal?
I don''t have the stone yet so I don''t know if I''ll do white or yellow. It''s what looks best with the stone.

It seems that my 18k WG settings aren''t wearing at the back (palm side) like my 14K YG. Is this an illusion? That''s what i meant about durability.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 11:58:11 AM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 8/8/2007 11:40:31 AM
I don''t have the stone yet so I don''t know if I''ll do white or yellow. It''s what looks best with the stone.

It seems that my 18k WG settings aren''t wearing at the back (palm side) like my 14K YG. Is this an illusion? That''s what i meant about durability.
I like to set warm stones in yellow gold, but others like the contrast of a cold metal with a warm stone. It seems really strange that your 18kt WG is holding up better than your 14kt WG jewellery. Are both getting the same amount of "wear" time on your hands?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually the WG has gotten daily wear for 15/16 years!

YG shows more wear after 10 years/ 5 years .

I thought I read on here that 18k WG was harder than 14K YG... but maybe I dreamt it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter,
You could be right. Perhaps the alloy in 18kt WG makes it a harder material than 14kt YG. I''d sure like a definite answer from the experts. Perhaps a topic on this on RT will provide some answers.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 11:55:29 AM
Author: musey
Oh that color is TO DIE FOR!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
THANKS! I''m really really looking forward to getting this stone. Right now I''m trying to distract myself by looking for a setting.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I don''t know how I missed this thread..

I love spess garnets and have a few of those now (one from Dan Stair and the rest from ebay
31.gif
). I love them, they just glow especially when looked at held up and I will continue to buy more as it is my son''s birthstone..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 7:54:23 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Oh, I don''t know how I missed this thread..

I love spess garnets and have a few of those now (one from Dan Stair and the rest from ebay
31.gif
). I love them, they just glow especially when looked at held up and I will continue to buy more as it is my son''s birthstone..
Good. I''m hoping I''ll really love it ''cause garnet is my birthstone too! Have you set any of your stones? Any recommendations on settings? Should the pavillion be open cause you said "especially when looked at held up?"

How do you like your Dan Stair stone?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 12:14:26 PM
Stone Hunter,
You could be right. Perhaps the alloy in 18kt WG makes it a harder material than 14kt YG. I''d sure like a definite answer from the experts. Perhaps a topic on this on RT will provide some answers.
Correct, 18k white gold is more durable than 18k yellow. An appraiser on here wrote that one time and I remember it every time this question comes up. So definitely go for 18k if you go with white gold.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. Good to know others remember it too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results