shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my diamond - black spot

Unusual_Minimum

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I just bought my first diamond from Ritani. What bothers me is that if it is just sliiigtly tilted, as you do with hands a lot, it gets that black spot at the tips of the diamond. Is this normal? Should I exchange this? Or is this normal? It is a 1.32 oval diamond E SI1. Here is link to Ritani with video and certificate. https://www.ritani.com/products/1-3...-si1-clarity-igi-lg559269829-sku-d-4o1qzappz9

Here is Imgur links to video and photos taken by me in various lights. Thank you so much in advance for all help!

Bijouteried

Shiny_Rock
Hello!
I just bought my first diamond from Ritani. What bothers me is that if it is just sliiigtly tilted, as you do with hands a lot, it gets that black spot at the tips of the diamond. Is this normal? Should I exchange this? Or is this normal? It is a 1.32 oval diamond E SI1. Here is link to Ritani with video and certificate. https://www.ritani.com/products/1-3...-si1-clarity-igi-lg559269829-sku-d-4o1qzappz9

Here is Imgur links to video and photos taken by me in various lights. Thank you so much in advance for all help!

Hi there! I'm not a gemologist, but are the black spots you are referring to near the top in the video? The casual observer might not notice these inclusions, especially because they may not look at it as intimately.

Having typed that, I will admit that if anything bothers me about a new purchase then keeping it is not worth my peace of mind. I want to feel joy when I look down at my gems. :)

Unusual_Minimum

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I'm not a gemologist, but are the black spots you are referring to near the top in the video? The casual observer might not notice these inclusions, especially because they may not look at it as intimately.

Having typed that, I will admit that if anything bothers me about a new purchase then keeping it is not worth my peace of mind. I want to feel joy when I look down at my gems. :)
323694170_462145772770835_6804630358077620177_n.jpg
Thank you for your reply! These spots is what is bothering me. There is some lights not reflecting very well I think, but maybe all oval have this? I am highly considering to exchange it, but my budget is not very big :( Edit:The diamond itself does not have inclusions in these places, so these spots must be due to a poor cut : (

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Any and all help to find an alternative at Ritani for up to $900.
Need as many oval pros to jump in and help if you would be so kind, please.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your reply! These spots is what is bothering me. There is some lights not reflecting very well I think, but maybe all oval have this? I am highly considering to exchange it, but my budget is not very big :( Edit:The diamond itself does not have inclusions in these places, so these spots must be due to a poor cut : (

obstruction just like the bow tie in the image.
@DejaWiz can you help explain that im not at my pc.

Bijouteried

Shiny_Rock

Ah....I think you are correct. It looks like it is due to how the light reflects through the facets, and I have seen that in other ovals as well as the bow tie.

I also know how it is to shop within a budget--we get the best we can within our means and try to have fun doing it. :)

Have you seen any other diamonds you like on their site? Maybe you can check the GIA report numbers on Rare Carat to see if they rate it highly.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
NOT an oval cut expert but for shopping purposes in the future look how the different facets in the photo correspond to the dark spots when you saw the diamond in person. Where the facets look wider, you get light leakage, and where they are closer together, you get less light leakage. The experts can help you much more. Come back and post pics!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Unusual_Minimum

Rough_Rock
obstruction just like the bow tie in the image.
@DejaWiz can you help explain that im not at my pc.

I did read this thread with your answer on a similar question! https://www.pricescope.com/communit...iamond-in-certain-lighting-conditions.269866/

Does all ovals have this black window at certain angels?

I think the diamond have grown on me and that I will keep it! Took a video with some natural daylight and no dark elements or clothes nearby and it looked much better. I got it at a very good price and using more money on a diamond might make me afraid to use it every day. Thank you all for your kind responses, especially @DejaWiz that actually picked this one out for me! :)

This is exactly how I look, you even got my bowtie right! ;-)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would need to find an oval with a different faceting pattern on the crown. A lot of ovals are cut like yours but some are cut
differently and do not get this "end cap" darkness.

Have I mentioned lately how hard it is to find a really nice cut oval???

Unusual_Minimum

Rough_Rock
You would need to find an oval with a different faceting pattern on the crown. A lot of ovals are cut like yours but some are cut
differently and do not get this "end cap" darkness.

Have I mentioned lately how hard it is to find a really nice cut oval???
I don’t understand how I am supposed to know when I find an oval like this

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can look at the crown (topside) clarity plot.

Here is what yours looks like with an "end cap" (on the left) and then the one on the right does not have the "end cap" look.
oval end caps.png no end cap.png
Here is the link to the second stone (its a mined diamond).

I looked through a ton of lab ovals on JA but they all seem to be cut like yours. That's why I had to go to a mined diamond to find
the other pattern.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results