shape
carat
color
clarity

Got it! What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bobby

Rough_Rock
Finally, here it is.

6.40 x 6.34 x 4.02mm
Round Brilliant Cut

Weight: 1.00ct.
Clarity: SI-1
Colour: G
Cut: Ideal

Depth: 63.2%
Crown: 34.5 / 15.5%
Pavilion: 41.1 / 43.4%
Table: 53.10%
Girdle: Sl. thick
Culet: V. Small

:appl:

Architect

Rough_Rock
From the info you gave on the stone, it seems like it is a pretty good cut stone, but it is not an ideal cut. The depth of the stone should not be much more than 62% to fall in the range of ideal. I prefer stones with higher tables than 53% also. The stone scores a 2.2 on HCA which is in the very good range.

bobby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Just got the Diamond Grading Report and it clearly states that the
cut is an "ideal" one. The rock was detailed by Gem Scan and the germologist is a GIA Grad.

Can anyone explain why this would be?

bobby

Rough_Rock
Hey Archi, take a look at the below site on ideal cuts. A diamond is in the eyes of the beholder.
My preference is a small table. The price was very right with this rock.

http://www.tradeshop.com/master/ideal.shtml

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Architect,

Actually, when the table is small the depth can be deeper because the crown will be higher.

Bobby,

The diamond has slightly deep pavilion which causes partial light leakage under the table but it is still very nice stone :)

[/u][/u][/u]

Attachments

• bobby.gem
    1.2 KB · Views: 24

bobby

Rough_Rock
Hi Leonid. Thank you very much!

I noticed the measurements are off slightly. 2nd and 3rd number. Would this make a diff?
6.4 x 6.34 x 4.02 mm

Also noticed a poor score on Leakage(Stereo) " Table only." I'm going to read the GEM advisor Help section to completely understand.

Once again, thanks u!

bobby

Rough_Rock
Last thing...asking price is $6650 CND.

Approx. 4150 USD. (exchange 1.59) Whatcha think?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price is comparable to similar online stones, I ran a quick Pricescope search. A similar diamond (G, SI, 53% table, 62% depth) is going for $4500 with one of the online vendors on Pricescope.

I ran a quick search using known crown and pav angles and found that the cheapest G, VS2 1.00c stone for an excellent scoring HCA stone (under 2.0) was around $6000. There was not an SI1 to compare.

So if you are fine with the steep depth and smaller table, and the stone speaks to you, then get it..sounds like the price is definitely right. Have you viewed other 1.0c stones next to it? You might possibly see a difference..an ideal with a lower depth and/or larger table might look slightly larger than this diamond. If you will view the link Leo gave above, you will see that the AGS ideal cateogry is very broad. I too learned this while searching and was confused. How could a diamond rated AGS000 get a 2.5 or 3.0 on the HCA? But it really is about liking what you *SEE*. At the end of the day, you will view the stone with your eyes--not calculators or charts. Our stone is an AGS 7, as far as you can get from an AGS 0, but its gorgeous.

Best of luck! :)

Architect

Rough_Rock
Bobby,
The reason I did not agree on the ideal cut of your diamond is because the depth was just outside the ideal range from the AGS charts. The charts show that 63% is the limit for AGS 0 ideal. But when all the other factors are thrown in, the total cut can be ideal. I made a similiar purchase of a diamond that had an ideal cut, but with a table of 58%. I definitely agree that the beauty of a diamond is in the eye of the beholder. There are endless combinations of table and depth percentages that will produce beautiful stones and the term "ideal cut" is one that seems to be very debatable since there have been several diamonds outside those ranges that produce bright and fiery stones.

bobby

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara. Thanks for your advise. I actually compared a 1.05, with a 55.6 table and 60 depth .Believe it or not I thought the smaller table sparkled much more and I did not notice a size diff when I looked at both stones on the same setting. (Size did matter and I did compare. Is .05 that small?)

The problem here in canada is that most diamonds are certified by Gem Scan. Gem Scan will not give you specs(cut) unless you make the request(pay) and wait a few weeks. No one does this! Believe me. Many retailers and wholesalers thought I was on crack making these requests. I decided to go the extra mile and get as much info as possible. I got a detailed report from Gem Scan and a replacement value from them for $18,500 CND. $11,600 US. All official documents etc.

I understand the depth % is a little steep on this rock, and the table could be larger. With that said it did rate a 2.2 on the HCA(probably better than 50% of the stones out there on the mkt) and the stone should be closer to a VS2 vs SI1. Gem Scan classifies the rock as Ideal which brings the percieved value up and make me feel good. That's what really counts right. Cheers!:wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results