carat
color
clarity

Got duped out of $600 on Etsy - Gastones

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sorry this happened to you. :(sad

Once again, this is why I'll only use Craigslist.
Meet in person, with cash.

I'm not a gambler.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sorry this happened to you. :(sad

Once again, this is why I'll only use Craigslist.
Meet in person, with cash.

I'm not a gambler.

Kenny nothing is 100% safe nor foolproof. I still remember the Craigslist murders in 2009. Personally I would never meet with a stranger from Craigslist. Of course we are all different and all do what we need to in order to feel safe.

As long as one pays with a CC one should be secure in their purchases as if something goes awry the CC company won't hold you responsible and your money will be refunded.

Deidre

Rough_Rock
I take the “gambling” comment to mean that there’s a level of uncertainty when you shop on Etsy, regarding the item you’ll actually receive. I’ve been shopping on Etsy for a few years, and sadly, I don’t feel as certain of my purchases as in the past. The pictures are often stock photos, and Etsy doesn’t seem to keep the scam shops out as they should. A buyer shouldn’t have to worry if he/she is receiving actual 14k gold or actual gemstones, but it has become that way on Etsy, lately. :(

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not as comfortable shopping on Etsy as I am on eBay.
I feel that eBay is a stronger more established platform and are more protective for buyers. The feedback system of eBay is more transparent, buyers can and do leave neutral or negative comments if the transaction was not satisfactory.
eBay doesn’t let a seller close their account with feedback outstanding and eBay has a more sophisticated system of tracking IP addresses so if a bad seller is kicked off the platform they can’t simply or easily open up another eBay account.
Etsy to me seems more favourable towards sellers and it’s also a cheaper platform ie lower fees for sellers.
any online purchase comes with risk of course.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find shopping overseas is always a bit of a worry
I trust Amazon and its associated (trust does not equate to like) i have a Bruce Springsteen related place i shop and of course the offical store - i think the merch part is actually live nation who im not keen on but ive always got my stuff - id prefer they bill when i place my order but that's my hang up dealing with the fluctuating exchange rate
Id be too scared to use Ebay
But i do use the NZ equivalent trade me
I'm pretty much 100% certain I'd have zero problem with pearl paradise

But I have seen a couple or three or four (five six seven) things now im interested in from estey
I think I'll be asking around here before i hit the buy now

Im nervous about buying from China and i don't want to be mucking around with having to send stuff back
But Ive only ever brought overseas stuff from the US

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE: My credit card company gave me the $$ back. Gastones is back on Etsy and of course, still has never responded to me on Etsy or elsewhere.

Altogether - glad and grateful I got my $$ back. Definitely a little too scared to try an unknown vendor anytime soon; I suppose we should all remember it just takes a few minutes to make an Etsy account and that docs and diplomas can be forged.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE: My credit card company gave me the $$ back. Gastones is back on Etsy and of course, still has never responded to me on Etsy or elsewhere.

Altogether - glad and grateful I got my $$ back. Definitely a little too scared to try an unknown vendor anytime soon; I suppose we should all remember it just takes a few minutes to make an Etsy account and that docs and diplomas can be forged.

I'm glad you were made whole, sucks that Etsy isn't more on top of the scammers and copiers, they've proliferated the last few years. :/

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. I'm sorry you went through what you have. But I am just stunned by Etsy and how they have handled this! Thank you for sharing your story. I will heed the warning about Etsy, for sure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results