shape
carat
color
clarity

Got duped out of $600 on Etsy - Gastones

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Tl;dr I got totally duped by an Etsy gem dealer who took $600 from me and then closed her shop and websites.

I bought a $600 ruby on Etsy on Sept. 17 from Gastones, a husband-wife gem cutting team - Greg and Katie Gaston. I didn’t hear a peep after I placed the order (I waited patiently given Covid+small business), and then reached out to the seller. She told me she was going through a divorce and would send the ruby ASAP, so I actually even sent her a nice quote about life changes and said I understood, etc. and the seller even told me I was her favorite customer!

Then she marked it shipped. I asked for a tracking number several times, and finally filed a non-delivered item case on Etsy on Oct. 2 - then she closed her shop and NEVER SENT THE RUBY and kept the $600! Etsy let her close the shop even though there was a non-delivered item case open, and neither she nor Etsy replied to my dispute for days either, even after I escalated the case. I chatted Etsy support chat 3 times, and all they have said is that they will check with the seller and label this urgent. I can’t believe I was so duped! They had an Etsy site with 22 reviews, Facebook, a website, YouTube, and an Instagram. She even has her AGTA certificate in her photos. Only the Instagram and YouTube are still up - they’ve shut down everything else overnight.

What do I do? Any tips? Etsy has been a black box nightmare to deal with. I have spent hours chasing this down to no end.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Did you use PayPal, credit card?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aghhh I’m so sorry this happened to you!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I am sorry! How did you pay? I would contact your CC company or PayPal and get your money back that way.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
@NonieMarie, @pearaffair, @missy - thank you all for your support! Also so great to see old friends here!!

I paid by CC, which you would think is great - except you can’t file a case on both your CC and Etsy per Etsy rules, so if you file with your CC, Etsy will close your case!! I just found this out the hard way.

Attachments

• ADA647E7-4876-4CDD-8690-D70E7D955785.png
    ADA647E7-4876-4CDD-8690-D70E7D955785.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@NonieMarie, @pearaffair, @missy - thank you all for your support! Also so great to see old friends here!!

I paid by CC, which you would think is great - except you can’t file a case on both your CC and Etsy per Etsy rules, so if you file with your CC, Etsy will close your case!! I just found this out the hard way.

Hi @Indylady! I am glad to see you but not for the reason you are here. :(
I would call your CC company nonetheless and you should be able to get your money back that way. Forget about Etsy. Take them out of the equation. They have shown themselves to be less than professional or cooperative.

Not the same thing but I ordered something that was marked as delivered but I never got it. Called the company and they said they have to wait a month plus to do an "investigation" before they can give me the money back. I called my CC company and told them I never got the item and they refunded me on the spot. HTH!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I also say go straight to the payment method and get your funds back!
Don't be hard on yourself, showing compassion isn't a flaw. You weren't foolish, they pulled the rug out and there is no way to foresee that on your end.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @missy!! You’re totally right, my CC company has been historically a LOT better than this. Fingers-crossed things shake out ok! I was so stunned by Etsy, I have used it for years and usually had great experiences - though I never had to go through a dispute before.

@ItsMainelyYou - aww, thank you so much! I felt so silly. I’d sent her a nice quote that was meaningful to me about life change, and I waited a long time to even open the case because I was really giving her the benefit of the doubt and didn’t want to stress her through a difficult time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy!! You’re totally right, my CC company has been historically a LOT better than this. Fingers-crossed things shake out ok! I was so stunned by Etsy, I have used it for years and usually had great experiences - though I never had to go through a dispute before.

@ItsMainelyYou - aww, thank you so much! I felt so silly. I’d sent her a nice quote that was meaningful to me about life change, and I waited a long time to even open the case because I was really giving her the benefit of the doubt and didn’t want to stress her through a difficult time.

Fingers crossed for you. It should work out!

And I 100% agree with @ItsMainelyYou. You are a nice person and any one of us could have been fooled by these criminals. You did nothing wrong at all. You were kind and compassionate and sympathetic to her supposed situation. Don't change. The world needs more people like you.

You will prevail and get your money back!

(((Hugs))).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I thought Etsy would be better. So sorry this happened to you. My son has had problems on Ebay. Ebay only cares about the buyers not the sellers. It has become more and more prevalent to have unscrupulous buyer who say an item is not right in some way. Then the seller has to pay for them to return it, refund their money also and then they don't send the item back. There is nothing you can do if that happens to you.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I thought Etsy would be better. So sorry this happened to you. My son has had problems on Ebay. Ebay only cares about the buyers not the sellers. It has become more and more prevalent to have unscrupulous buyer who say an item is not right in some way. Then the seller has to pay for them to return it, refund their money also and then they don't send the item back. There is nothing you can do if that happens to you.

I would urge your son to never refund the payment until he gets the item back & makes sure that it came back to him in the same condition otherwise he will be taken advantage of by buyers as they got a refund without even having to send the item back! Always get the item back first, always!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
@luv2sparkle - that’s so crummy!!! WOW!!! How are folks so shameless? I can’t believe the buyer isn’t required to send tracking, etc. when sending the package back. There are enormous ‘trust and safety teams’ at tech companies that are supposed to handle these matters, but basically just favor the credit card companies that they partner with (ie the guy who had paid by CC). I think there is potential for a huge consumer lawsuit if there is a way for the seller to organize.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Indylady - I am so sorry this happened to you and hope your CC resolves it in your favor fast.

Called the company and they said they have to wait a month plus to do an "investigation" before they can give me the money back.
Just a FYI, I shipped something USPS insured once and it was lost. It was $$$ so of course I wanted a refund right away. USPS made me wait for one month since my original contact (so a total of 5 wks after the item was supposed to be delivered) before I could make a claim in case it magically showed up. In cases like this it is difficult to know if the vendor is giving you a run around or if USPS is making the vendor wait before they can file a claim.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
@Indylady - I am so sorry this happened to you and hope your CC resolves it in your favor fast.

Just a FYI, I shipped something USPS insured once and it was lost. It was $$$ so of course I wanted a refund right away. USPS made me wait for one month since my original contact (so a total of 5 wks after the item was supposed to be delivered) before I could make a claim in case it magically showed up. In cases like this it is difficult to know if the vendor is giving you a run around or if USPS is making the vendor wait before they can file a claim.

True - I can totally see that - but the seller hasn’t responded to a single message since marking it shipped (has not responded to me or the Etsy claim/Etsy staff) and closed their shop, so I’m inclined to think she’s not busily following up with USPS lol. If it shows up though, frankly I’d love that!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rootin' for a speedy credit to your CC account, @Indylady !!

Report them to AGTA and ITV as well.
Perhaps an AGTA member has to pay extra to be listed in the online directory (the print edition issued every other year includes all AGTA members). But Ms. Gaston -- who posted an AGTA membership certificate dated April 21, 2020, on the etsy shop page (still visible via Google Cache) -- isn't showing up here :think:

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
Etsy really doesn’t care at all for buyers, so don’t expect any help there. I had a similar issue, though with furniture, not jewelry. Waited and waited for my item. Sent messages which were ignored. Come to find out etsy closed the shop due to complaints but didn’t bother to contact any purchasers with open orders, let alone refund them. I got a quick refund from my cc. Etsy was a joke to deal with.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would really be messed up is if they popped up again. people like this usually do

I'm team get your money and screw Etsy. They have a history of doing this unfortunately.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that’s terrible. Best of luck getting a full refund!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Rootin' for a speedy credit to your CC account, @Indylady !!

Perhaps an AGTA member has to pay extra to be listed in the online directory (the print edition issued every other year includes all AGTA members). But Ms. Gaston -- who posted an AGTA membership certificate dated April 21, 2020, on the etsy shop page (still visible via Google Cache) -- isn't showing up here :think:

The plot thickens! Incredible work, @MollyMalone, and so great to see you! This is all quite strange. I’m very curious if Katie Gaston is actually an AGTA member or not. Great info about the AGTA print edition too - I always learn more on PS even after years here.

Everything is online these days - seems unusual for an association to post only a partial list online, or, even if there is a fee - seems unusual the trade member wouldn’t pay it for the sake of customer trust and reputation. I’ll see what I can find re: membership lists, and update the thread.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @OreoRosies86 for the support.

@Arcadian, I had no idea Etsy had a reputation for this! UGH. A nightmare. So lovely to see you, though!

@m-cubed, wow, great to know it’s not just me. I’d never had occasion for a dispute before, so I used them confidentially for years, lol! Now I’m sorely surprised.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Indylady! I am glad to see you but not for the reason you are here. :(
I would call your CC company nonetheless and you should be able to get your money back that way. Forget about Etsy. Take them out of the equation. They have shown themselves to be less than professional or cooperative.

Not the same thing but I ordered something that was marked as delivered but I never got it. Called the company and they said they have to wait a month plus to do an "investigation" before they can give me the money back. I called my CC company and told them I never got the item and they refunded me on the spot. HTH!

I’m with @missy. CC companies are much more responsive given laws and their own rules. Sorry this happened to you. Some people suck!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to her Insta and hit contact, it has her phone and email.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Go to her Insta and hit contact, it has her phone and email.

How do you find the ‘contact’ button? So sorry - I am not a regular Instagram user. Thanks for the help! So great to see you @autumngems!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Just want to add my 2c that I also had a terrible experience with etsy when a seller lied to me. It was enough to make me shut down my etsy account and never use it again (and I used to buy a ton of jewelry on etsy).

Going the route of your cc company is right. Fingers crossed for you.

Deidre

Rough_Rock
I went through a similar situation with an Etsy seller back in the spring of this year. The item showed as having a label made, but the seller delayed shipping for a month. I had to open a case, and thankfully, Etsy sorted it out for me. Interestingly, that same shop is gone now. They had many complaints, and honestly, I think the seller was mainly scamming customers - and his items didn't seem ''hand crafted.''

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from any shop...on Etsy or anywhere else, with only 22 reviews. I know it's important to support small businesses, but $600 is a large purchase (imo) to trust with someone who just opened.

I'm sorry you went through this, and it upsets me that Etsy doesn't have better customer support. Etsy isn't like Amazon I know, but they should still care about the integrity of the sellers using their platform.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
OP, what ended up happening?
Did you ever get a refund?
Did they ever offer an explanation or an apology?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results