shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a job! So not excited........

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scheesh..... I feel like such a brat :nono: This is just bit of a vent, so I don't really expect any replies.

I recently moved city and have been temping whilst I searched for a permanent job for almost 2 months now.

Finally the agency calls me today and says I got one of two jobs I interviewed for! She is very excited and happy for me - says that client was very fussy and I should feel honoured. I made no secret that I would have prefered the "other" role I interviewed for but she was clear that they wont make a decision soon and I'd be silly to miss this on the off chance of getting the other one - she is correct of course so I have accepted it.

So why on earth do I feel so bad? :confused:
The job is nothing I haven't done before and I'm sure I'll cope but just have a sinking feeling about it all.... I simply cannot afford to turn down a permanent work and I know that everyone has to make sacrifices but I just feel so darn blue about this. ;(

You ever get that gut feeling that just says...... "don't"???? :sick:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, how I know that feeling.

A few years back, I had a fantastic job, something I loved, but it was a two year project and once it was finished, I was out of work. I interviewed for another fantastic job and didn't get it - I was offered a different position with the same organisation, one with a higher salary, one that I was qualified to do but would not have applied for. It was a job, though - I took it because I had to. On paper, it looked amazing, but my gut instinct was "this will be hellish."

I had that sinking feeling too. OMG, I did not want to do it. It felt like something I'd already done, I wasn't impressed with what I'd seen of the department, I was distinctly underwhelmed when I met the apparently rather dull witted man who would be my boss. My new coworkers seemed parochial and aggressive. If I could have run away, I think I would have done it! It was the most un-promising job.

So, fast forward three years and I quit to go back to school. I cried on an off for my last three days, It was ridiculous. These people were the best colleagues I could ever have asked for, once I found my feet in that job I got to do so many new things and really stretch myself to develop and learn new skills. My boss was the biggest cheerleader I ever had, one of the smartest guys I know and an inspirational mentor to me. After my first few weeks, I settled in and actually looked forward to going into the office every day. I was so, so sad to leave.

Anyway, the point of this long post is, sometimes when it comes to work, your gut instinct isn't right. Sure, sometimes it is, but you just never know. Congratulations on your interview success - things seem to happen for a reason, and this could be something really great for you. If it isn't? You can move on. I think it's easier to find work when you are in work. Go for it, and I wish you all the very best of luck in your new position.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry HotPozzum :(sad it's never fun to wonder what you might be missing out on.

I do agree with JenniferW - do your best to give it a shot, it might just prove your gut wrong afterall. And if not - you can always look again in a year, you know? It doesn't have to be long-term unless YOU want it to be - and you might just find you do, in a few weeks or months!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that feeling all too well. A few years ago, I was in a similar situation - where I could not turn down an employment offer. I took a job doing something I'd done forEVER. However, it was even more antiquated than I could have possibly dreamed when I took the job, (I work in IT, so antiquated can be VERY bad indeed) and the corporate culture was gawdawful in general, and such that it treated its programmers like recalcitrant children and like having to pay them one dime over minimum wage was a big PITA. I've never been so miserable in all my life. I'd get in the car every morning and be nearly in tears on the way in to work every day. Awful. Within a year I was able to find another job and get the heck outta Dodge, thankfully.

I guess the point is, like the others said, give it a chance - because apparently right now you MUST, but if you continue to feel that sinking feeling after getting the lay of the land, use that time to try your darndest to get OUT. I understand necessity, but if you have any other option at all, life is too short to spend that much of your time being genuinely miserable.

Good luck, and I hope it turns out better than you think.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally get how you feel and I hope the position turns out better than you think but even if it doesn't it will only be temporary. And as others have said it is better to look for a job while you have a job. The way the economic climate is currently having a job that pays a decent salary is too valuable to pass up but I do understand the way you are feeling.

We were (and still are really) in a similar position a few years ago and my dh couldn't afford to pass up an offer he was less than enthusiastic about. It was a necessary evil and we were lucky he had the opportunity though it was not the opportunity he was hoping it would be. I wish I could say we are in a better position now but we are not. However, we are able to enjoy our lifestyle without any major changes which would not have been possible without that job. He is currently still looking but there are no opportunities as of now but we are grateful he still has a job for sure.

So currently having a job is still better than not and fingers crossed for you that this position will lead to a better more satisfying one for you (and for all others in that situation). Good luck and hang in there!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Could you ask the other company that you interviewed for if you could get an earlier decision? I know many companies will consider requests like that if the candidate needs to know, like in your case. Tell them you have another offer but you'd prefer them!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it hurts to tell the other company you have an offer, would prefer to work there, and ask for them to move things along. I think that is totally fair. That said, I know how it feels to take a job you're less that psyched about. Work takes up so much of our lives so we want to love it. But, in the end, it's just work. Situations change at work too. You could love the other job but then get a bad manager, then hate it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why cant you accept this job and start, and then keep your hat in the ring for the other. If they make you the offer, you can leave your current and go there. It is not exactly good manners, but your own needs come first.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314036581|2996687 said:
Why cant you accept this job and start, and then keep your hat in the ring for the other. If they make you the offer, you can leave your current and go there. It is not exactly good manners, but your own needs come first.

Ditto!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314036581|2996687 said:

Agreed. You could always call the other place though and say,"just wanted to let you know that I received an offer today gor another job. Truly I would love to work for your company as I feel it is a better fit for me. I wanted to tell you that I need to either accept or turn down this position in a few days, I don't want to accept and miss an opportunity that is a better fit for me. If at all possible - do you know how close you are to making a decision?"

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your wise advice. I started today and was pleasantly surprised! :appl: The job is part of a finance department so i was expecting a quiet, boring *nerdy* department but everyone was very chatty and friendly. I think you are completely right in that I should just go into this with an open mind. Fingers crossed it gets even better tomorrow! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news-so glad it seems to be a good place to work!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news!!! You may find that this place &job is a perfect fit for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results