shape
carat
color
clarity

Goofy question... would you want an odd number of glasses?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swear, this silly question is keeping me up at night, LOL!

My Etsy store is going great (thank you PSers for all your input when I was thinking of doing this!), but I have a stupid dilemma. Because the stuff I sell is vintage I often come across 3, 5, 7 of things. I don't list in odd numbers (although sometimes I do mention if I have an "extra" of something special, like a named maker of a special glass, if a buyer wants it), but I'm going to be left with an ungodly number of one-offs if I don't figure out what to do with all these leftovers! Like yesterday, I got a set of 5 wine glasses and a set of 7 crystal coups. So.. 4 and 6...? Or should I actually do 5 and 7? My thinking is that if something breaks in shipping at least I have another one I could send to someone, but then again, maybe someone would want an extra in case THEY break one at some point? And frankly I'm not going to charge any more for the extra one.

One other thought is to offer one-offs, extras, "oddballs" in case someone is looking for something specific and only needs one. But what are the chances of having that single glass someone wants to replace from the set they inherited from grandma... ???

Anyway, I realize this is kind of a ridiculous thing to be asking, but if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It think it's perfectly OK to offer glasses in odd numbers.
Collectors will want them regardless of the number in the set.
I'm glad you are having good luck selling on Etsy!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It think it's perfectly OK to offer glasses in odd numbers.
Collectors will want them regardless of the number in the set.
I'm glad you are having good luck selling on Etsy!

Thank you so much for the reply!

Do you think that's still the case if they aren't "anything special" though? So not like Fostoria Versailles in Topaz, but literally some random (buy pretty!) regular ol' champagne coups not from a famous maker... ?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sell them in odd lots, maybe someone likes having one extra or already has three and needs three more. Worst that could happen is they don’t sell after a while and then you change course.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the reply!

Do you think that's still the case if they aren't "anything special" though? So not like Fostoria Versailles in Topaz, but literally some random (buy pretty!) regular ol' champagne coups not from a famous maker... ?

There are two kinds of customers that will buy your glasses.
Glass collectors, and young couples who are just looking for pretty table settings in colors that they love.
I think that the collectors who are looking for a pattern or special color like uranium/vaseline glass (which I love :kiss2: ) will be okay with any number of pieces.
The younger customers will just love the shapes and colors.
These people don't necessarily care that they are no-name and they might not even care to do the research to find out who made the glasses, what the pattern is or when they were made.
I think you're OK with odd numbers.
Besides, you don't want to get stuck with all those singles.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I swear, this silly question is keeping me up at night, LOL!

My Etsy store is going great (thank you PSers for all your input when I was thinking of doing this!), but I have a stupid dilemma. Because the stuff I sell is vintage I often come across 3, 5, 7 of things. I don't list in odd numbers (although sometimes I do mention if I have an "extra" of something special, like a named maker of a special glass, if a buyer wants it), but I'm going to be left with an ungodly number of one-offs if I don't figure out what to do with all these leftovers! Like yesterday, I got a set of 5 wine glasses and a set of 7 crystal coups. So.. 4 and 6...? Or should I actually do 5 and 7? My thinking is that if something breaks in shipping at least I have another one I could send to someone, but then again, maybe someone would want an extra in case THEY break one at some point? And frankly I'm not going to charge any more for the extra one.

One other thought is to offer one-offs, extras, "oddballs" in case someone is looking for something specific and only needs one. But what are the chances of having that single glass someone wants to replace from the set they inherited from grandma... ???

Anyway, I realize this is kind of a ridiculous thing to be asking, but if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it!

@Dee*Jay I always buy an extra one or two or something if I can in case one or two breaks..I would list them as 5 and 7.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's fine. You might have people that already have part of a pattern, or that like to purchase extras due to breakage, or simply don't care.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sell them in odd lots, maybe someone likes having one extra or already has three and needs three more. Worst that could happen is they don’t sell after a while and then you change course.

You're absolutely right -- I can always change my method if things don't "work"!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ton of sets of dishes, glassware, and flatware. I am way too OCD to ever buy a set with an odd number. But there have been numerous times I have tried to complete a set.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two kinds of customers that will buy your glasses.
Glass collectors, and young couples who are just looking for pretty table settings in colors that they love.
I think that the collectors who are looking for a pattern or special color like uranium/vaseline glass (which I love :kiss2: ) will be okay with any number of pieces.
The younger customers will just love the shapes and colors.
These people don't necessarily care that they are no-name and they might not even care to do the research to find out who made the glasses, what the pattern is or when they were made.
I think you're OK with odd numbers.
Besides, you don't want to get stuck with all those singles.

It's funny you mention uranium glass! I got a super cute set of SEVEN (HA!) etched juice glasses last week. Of course I listed SIX. :cheeky:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's fine. You might have people that already have part of a pattern, or that like to purchase extras due to breakage, or simply don't care.

You all are so wise. This is why I ask my PS friends about stuff (even the "stupid stuff" :lol:).

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ton of sets of dishes, glassware, and flatware. I am way too OCD to ever buy a set with an odd number. But there have been numerous times I have tried to complete a set.

Gussie, I think of your beautiful table settings All The Time! I wish I had your talent for arranging things -- your arrangements are always magazine-worth!

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
One other possibility is to list the even number (like 4 or 6) and just send the extra one along in the package. That way, if one does break in shipping, the buyer doesn't have a complaint. And if none break, who wouldn't be happy to receive an extra?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re looking for replacements, as I’ve had to do in the past, then odd numbers are often a God send.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other possibility is to list the even number (like 4 or 6) and just send the extra one along in the package. That way, if one does break in shipping, the buyer doesn't have a complaint. And if none break, who wouldn't be happy to receive an extra?

This actually did cross my mind... hmmm... maybe I should!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Two odd lots equal an even lot! Maybe someone enjoys having different patterns out on a table for larger gatherings. It’s less formal and can be rather eye catching!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re looking for replacements, as I’ve had to do in the past, then odd numbers are often a God send.

So maybe I SHOULD off the one-offs then?! I was thinking of putting up kind of a generic listing and saying if someone is looking for something specific to reach out as I may have it. At this point I've got an ungodly number... some of which I started organizing the other day, and I only made it though a fraction. I also have a load of twosies, which I'm debating what to do with (again, unless something is by a maker like Tiffin or Cambridge I don't think pairs are that desirable able a cool color or something else unique).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several mashed-together sets of silver plate. I used to buy stuff on odd lots all the time.

Are you allowed to mention the name of your shop?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't buy glasses in odd numbers, not sure why.

My sister only buys set in odd numbers. I'm under strict instructions that once I break one of my parent's champagne glasses (set of 6) I'm to give her 1 so she has her odd and I have my set of 4.

My friend collects singles and uses them at dinner parties as talking points.

I think it's an anything goes type of situation! There's no right.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two odd lots equal an even lot! Maybe someone enjoys having different patterns out on a table for larger gatherings. It’s less formal and can be rather eye catching!

Funny you mention this --I did have an idea along these lines few weeks ago that panned out well. I took 18 (yes 18!) different champagne coups, organized them into lots of six in a way that made sense (e.g., sizes that went together) and sold them as "mixed sets." All three sets sold right away. I will do that again when I get enough things that coordinate, but the true mismatches -- do you think that would be interesting to anyone?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops -- work emergency just popped up! Be back in a bit!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's weird.
In America sets always seem to come in an even number.
I've noticed some sets from Japan come in an odd number.

I mentioned this to a friend from Japan and she said when intended to be sold in Japan it will be an odd number, but when intended to be sold in America they'll pack an even number.

Apparently even set numbers vary. :bigsmile:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the idea someone mentioned upthread about sending the extra. That’s a nice surprise for the buyer and will probably result in more sales down the line.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at the odd number as an extra piece. So yes, I would buy items in odd numbers.

Congratulations on the success of your store.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
An odd number wouldn't phase me. If anything, it's a spare in case a piece breaks.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
If I were shopping for vintage glassware, an odd-numbered set would not deter me. I feel like just selling the odd number sets would be much easier for you, so that you don’t end up with a bunch of one-off glasses.

At the same time, if you’re willing to store and list a bunch of one-offs you could really be someone’s hero should they need a replacement. You could also take all the one-offs and make “party sets” at a discount.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would offer odd number of items as they are as the odd one can serve as a spare.

DK :))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buy 6 get one free could play well with some people.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Funny you mention this --I did have an idea along these lines few weeks ago that panned out well. I took 18 (yes 18!) different champagne coups, organized them into lots of six in a way that made sense (e.g., sizes that went together) and sold them as "mixed sets." All three sets sold right away. I will do that again when I get enough things that coordinate, but the true mismatches -- do you think that would be interesting to anyone?

I do! Some people do shabby chic, others sophisticated chic. Does that make sense? Maybe one person has a quirky sense of style and will be drawn to a truly mismatched set. I guess you really don’t know until you try it. Good for you on the quick sale of the champagne coups!! That worked out well for you and a few lucky shoppers!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay, I know you don’t want to end up with lots of odds and sods, but when I’ve needed replacements, lots of the listings I’ve seen have said

“description of item - number available”. If I’ve wanted 1 or 2, and there’s 3 available, I’ve often just gone for them all so I have spares.

I’ve got a discontinued Royal Doulton crystal pattern, and a discontinued Thomas china dinner service and I’m pretty sure, I’ve got odd numbers in the dinner service, purely because on seeing what the seller has, I’ve decided to just buy the lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results