shape
carat
color
clarity

Good stone for a bezel-set pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Been absent for a while after the smoke cleared from getting engaged...but I''m back for more!

My grandparents have offered to get me a diamond pendant as a graduation gift, and I''d like to get the full bezel pendant in 14k white gold. I''d like to keep the total price not too far above $1000, and I want to stick with WF because I''ve worked with them before.

I''m looking at 0.4-0.6ct round stones, in the I-J color range (I''ve been told that color matters less for pendants because people don''t look up close) and VS2-SI1 clarity. These diamonds caught my eye:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-912985.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-912979.htm#

Which one would you recommend, or would you choose another one altogether? Do you think it''s worth paying for a larger stone (is the size difference between 0.4 and 0.5 appreciable)? Any other advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, that would make a lovely pendant. Ask if they are eye clean. I would notice a difference between a .4 vs .5 but just a bit. What a nice gift.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the bezel set pendant would be lovely. I would go for the largest ct. weight eye clean diamond you can get. I think the difference between .4 and .5 ct is noticeable.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I ''m grateful to have such generous family members.
1.gif

Of the 2 stones I listed, do you think one is better? The first is less expensive and has slightly better spread for carat weight, although it''s really not much different. But the first also has a thin girdle and a feather on the girdle...is that a problem?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2008 7:38:27 PM
Author:jstarfireb

I''m looking at 0.4-0.6ct round stones, in the I-J color range (I''ve been told that color matters less for pendants because people don''t look up close) and VS2-SI1 clarity. These diamonds caught my eye:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-912985.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-912979.htm#
HI:

I would surmise that statement would be more a case for clarity than color. At any rate, I have a beautiful diamond halo ACA pendant .55 points, J color and I "notice" the body color.

cheers--Sharon

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d take the largest one. Either stone would make a beautiful pendant.

There are several WF bezel pendants on PS. Mine is an M I1. The cut is ideal and hardly shows the color. It made a nice size pendant with a thin bezel. WF makes a thicker (standard) bezel which makes the stone look larger.

It''s a very nice project to have to "work" on !!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 10:07:11 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Thanks! I 'm grateful to have such generous family members.
1.gif

Of the 2 stones I listed, do you think one is better? The first is less expensive and has slightly better spread for carat weight, although it's really not much different. But the first also has a thin girdle and a feather on the girdle...is that a problem?
They are almost the same size in diameter so either one is fine. No worries on the girdle unless it is extremely or very thin.

mandielee

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t worry nearly as much about a very thin girdle or one with a feather on a stone that will be well-protected in a bezel pendant as I would about one prong-set in an engagement ring. The most "dangerous" point in that stone''s life will be setting, so as long as WF is taking all that risk themselves, you probably have nothing to worry about. In fact, I''d almost consider a thinner girdle on a pendant stone as a feature - more of that weight going where you can see it!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks - you''ve all been very helpful! I think I''m going to get the 0.507/J/SI1 since it is eye-clean and won''t break my grandparents'' bank. I''ve seen some really beautiful ideal cut J stones here, so I don''t think I''ll be bothered by the color. My ACA princess is an I anyway, and I love it. Any last-minute suggestions before I take the plunge?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Also, what would you all think about going up to H in color and sacrificing size a tad? I'm looking at these H/VS2s:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-913001.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-913001.htm#

We're talking about a 0.4mm difference in diameter...is it worth it to drop the size so I can go for a higher color? I don't think I'd notice the difference between J and I, but 2 color grades may be significant enough to notice.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well I ordered the J/SI1 today, and if the color bothers me, I have 10 days to exchange it. Can''t wait to see my new pendant!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you''ll be happy with your pendant. You''ve chosen a nice size. I was looking at the same range and changed my mind at the last sec to the .4 range rather than the .6.
I chose to get the thin walled halo but I can''t wait to see yours. I am so tech challenged that it''ll be a while before I get to post pics of mine...
Congratulations on getting such a lovely graduation present. WF are wonderful to work with.
Lisa

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, I''d love to see your pics when you get a chance! I thought about the thin bezel but then decided that 0.5 was probably big enough not to get lost in all the metal of a standard bezel. I think I''ll be very happy with it, since there''s something about that J/SI1 stone that kept drawing me in as I was considering other stones. I''ll post pics when it arrives!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
thank goodness my son knows what he''s doing!

pendant1785687687.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, Lisa! Hopefully mine will look that good too.
3.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The pics have arrived, and the pendant will be here tomorrow!

Resize-JB_0529.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Neckshot...I love it!

Resize of P1010001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results