shape
carat
color
clarity

Good source for sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know any sources where I can get a good quality sapphire, non-treated and at a BM jeweler?
I know, I''m picky!

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
Also, the sapphire does not have to be blue.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
No such thing as quality from a B&M especially not heated

and if so, expect to pay through the roof

a lot of the sale consultants don't even know what a nice unheated sapphire even looks like, believe me!

which area do you live maybe someone can help you, most people here buy online

I purchased my stone from a local jeweler here in central NJ

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Also everytime I went to Robins Diamonds I was completely disatisfied with every time they brought in a sapphire for me to look at.
I specifically asked for unheated, with a rich deep blue and all they could come up with each time was either grey washed out stones or blue with icky green undertones.
After the 4th try, I was discouraged and brought in my blue sapphire I purchased and said, see this is what I was looking for! Their first reaction was OOhhh!
6.gif
30.gif

Wow! is all they could say, as almost like they never saw a pure blue sapphire before, well at least working there.

Yellow is pretty reasonable as far as sapphires go
and pink is starting to get up their with blue color prices

All I know is unheated blues are $1500 per carat to $2500
other colors i''m not too familiar with.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 12:13:11 PM
Author: MustangFan

a lot of the sale consultants don''t even know what a nice unheated sapphire even looks like, believe me!

Hi MustangFan,

Do you have pictures of both heated and unheated that you could post? I''m just beginning to learn about sapphires and it''s always helpful to see pictures. I''ve been to www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com and have found that site very helpful. Any others you''d recommend? Sorry to threadjack.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 5:45:06 PM
Author: zoebartlett

Date: 2/21/2007 12:13:11 PM
Author: MustangFan

a lot of the sale consultants don''t even know what a nice unheated sapphire even looks like, believe me!

Hi MustangFan,

Do you have pictures of both heated and unheated that you could post? I''m just beginning to learn about sapphires and it''s always helpful to see pictures. I''ve been to www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com and have found that site very helpful. Any others you''d recommend? Sorry to threadjack.
check out www.cherrypicked.com

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies! I live in New Jersey and have, thus far, been unable to locate a decent sapphire. I really like pink sapphires, but I am concerned about the fact that most are treated in some way.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you like Natural Sapphire''s stuff you can actually go to their headquarters and view stones. The information is on their website and they are in NY. You just need to make an appointment and bring a photo ID.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I highly reccomend GemSmith in central NJ
They are located in Toms River
They were so helpful and actually listened to me with the color I described. In the first shot, they brought in 5 stones and I picked out my pear in two visits!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 5:45:06 PM
Author: zoebartlett

Do you have pictures of both heated and unheated that you could post? I''m just beginning to learn about sapphires and it''s always helpful to see pictures.

I don''t think there is anything to "see" when comparing heated and unheated sapphires...except the higher pricetag on the latter.

Heat (only) treated sapphires can be very lovely and I think would do for most consumers. Lack of treatment seems to be more important to collector types (like me). If budget, size, and color are issues.... I''d look for a heated stone.

widget

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
to be honest, if I showed you a heated stone and unheated you wouldn''t be able to tell the difference, at least not to the untrained eye.
heating is a common practice and is accepted in the gem world

My stone is heated and I believe a little over $1100 per carat

hope this helps

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
pinkcvi405-1.jpg

pinkons97-1.jpg

The top stone is the unheated $1126 per carat the bottom is heated $643 per carat
There isn''t any "eye" difference. Some people are more comforted that it is all natural and will pay top prices for the comfort. Just like for some people the label "Tiffanys" makes them happier and they are willing to pay a lot more, it''s totally up to the person

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
pinkrne73-1.jpg

Heated sapphire $163 per carat

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the lighter pink colors, the richer ones seem to be more desirable though

oliver

Rough_Rock
hi
i am a small operation handminer from the anakie gemfields. i might have what u are looking for maybe
emsmile.gif

i do not have mass but quality,
so good luck

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MustangFan! As long as you could get a quality stone at a reasonable price, it doesn''t matter too much if it''s heated or not. If it''s frowned upon to get a heated one because the quality isn''t good, I''d lean more towards unheated. We''re planning a trip to NYC in April to visit the Natural Sapphire Co., so we''ll see what they have.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
The quality is not compromised on heated stones

I''m not an expert, but I believe diffusion is a treatment to look out for though

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Good job mustangfan -- you''re right on.

Heated vs. Unheated
This is a tricky area to navigate, because the consumer market seems to be changing a little. There are some cultures/religions that require unheated untreated gemstones (and require them to be set so they touch the skin). There is also newer demand from consumers for untreated gems. There is a combination of forces causing this -- partially related to education, and partially a desire for the unique. Many don''t realize the history of gem treatments... which do date back as long as the gem trade has existed. Heating of sapphires is well over 1,000 years old; however, technology has changed and improved. Plain old heating is considered an acceptable treatment by the trade. It is also a permanent treatment.

There are other treatments that are not considered acceptable. These include things like bulk diffusion. Maybe heat treatment gets a bad rap, because heat is usually involved in most every treatment (whether it is acceptable or not).

Anyway, there will be a price premium for equivalent quality stones if one is unheated vs. heated. Even though there will be no visual difference that you can see. Most people cannot see the difference, even with a 10x loupe. Generally, with the guidance of a trained gemologist and a microscope, you may be able to see why they think something is heated or unheated.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
thanks rio for backing me up and touching on the subject in more detail!

Is symmetry in the stone important? I hate crooked stones
41.gif

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Symmetry is important. It doesn''t carry the same weight as it does in diamonds, where the cut may be the primary factor of its beauty. With a sapphire, the color is going to be the primary determinant of its value. The cut, and elements of it, such as symmetry and polish, will be important in fine sapphires; but much less so than the color. Many very fine sapphires are re-polished to address this issue. Most rough gets cut at or near the source (in Sri Lanka for example). And they are traditionally cutting to maximize the weight. A trader may be able to improve the value of the stone, by selecting stones that can be re-polished to fix any mistakes with proportion or symmetry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results