shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fansidar

Rough_Rock
As a long-time browser of this forum, but first-time poster, I was wondering if y''all could help out a guy in search of the perfect engagement ring for his gal. Here''s the specs of a diamond that caught my eye:

Cut: round brilliant, hearts & arrows
Size: approximately 1.55 carat
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 59.6%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 34.2 degrees
Pavillion Angle: 40.6 degrees
Girdle: thin to medium
Cutlet: 0.5%
Polish: excellent (according to GIA certificate)
Symmetry: excellent (according to GIA certificate)

Price is around 15K.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good deal? I''ve used all the features on this site to compare it to other diamonds, but would appreciate the opinion of my fellow netizens.

Also, any recommendations for a good independent appraiser in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Fansider,

That looks like a great diamond.

Here is a list of American Society of Appraisers Gems & Jewelry appraisers in the Los Angeles area:

Darold C. Allen, AM
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 623-3773
Gems & Jewelry

Charles I. Carmona, ASA
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 624-0137
Gems & Jewelry

Andrew Y.K. Kim, ASA
Los Angeles, CA 90014-1750
(213) 688-7837
Gems & Jewelry

Paul D. Thompson, ASA
Los Angeles, CA 90004-3705
(323) 463-9410
Gems & Jewelry

All of these people are trained and qualified.
Please don't try to sandbag the appraiser by holding back the GIA certificate until he is done. It is not fair to you or him. Diamond grading is subjective and if he sees anything different than does GIA, it will just upset you. Give him the certificate and if he agrees with it ok, if not, he will say so.
Enjoy your Big D!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
What do you consider paying over cost that will be what we determine if your price is good
2.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Hi DimonBob -

Quick question for you - why would the appraiser need the GIA cert in advance? Aren't they being paid for their own analysis of the diamond?

I would think that giving them the cert in advance would impair their ability to view the stone impartially since they now have an expectation of what the diamond will be. All grading decisions would be based somewhat on the cert, whether its a conscious decision or not.

I'm probably way off base, couldja help me understand?

Thanks -

Adrienne

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
If the diamond is mounted your under limiting conditions for color grading and weight estimation. If its loose then I see no reason not to give it a shot certless. Two ways you can look at it. I can see both views
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Fan looks like a great stone!! The HCA gave it ALL Excellents and a score of 0.5...somewhat rare!
1.gif

Good luck!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
My personal opinion is that it's fairest to the consumer to give them an impartial opinion not influenced by having seen the cert first.

I usually give them a sheet to read I've written entitled "Diamond Grading- Is It A Science?" while I appraise their diamond. Then we go over the specs point-by-point, comparing it with the cert.

That way they find out my unbiased opinion as to whether their stone is graded "dead-on", or is "high graded" or "low graded" (again, in my opinon). This information contributes to their decision making process if considering a diamond purchase, or gives them more complete knowledge of what they already own.

In the end, I usually advise the client that it's best to use the grading provided by the the gem lab if it is issued by a lab known for stringent grading (GIA, AGS or HRD). The only instance in which I don't use the lab's grading is if I absolutely can't justify their opinion.

Fansidar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the responses.

To quote a friend on good price: "Cost is good, but below cost is better. Free, of course, is best."

Seriously though, I am a firm believer that every honest business should be entitled to make a reasonable profit.

If 15K is around where most other internet diamond sellers would sell a comparable diamond, and a well-informed buyer would not reasonably expect to be able to buy such a diamond at a lower price, then it is a good price.

All of this just a long way of asking: Anyone think I'm paying too much for what I'm getting?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Buy the diamond - not the price.

There is a lot more than the considerations, you're making.

You are thinking of spending a significant amount..... $ 15,000!

Do you want to risk your money on opinion that isn't expert, or a judgment made without seeing the stone. Makes me laugh sometimes, that consumers will base their purchasing decision on someone's opinion without seeing the diamond and doing the proper testing..... wonder if these people are wrong, will they pay any damages that they led you into?

Some people don't mind a gamble, but its a lot smarter to have the stone tested and get the complete facts, so your decision is made prudently.

Rockdoc

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems to me that Fan *IS* making his decision prudently based on the research he has done AND by taking it to an independent appraiser as well....therefore isn't he planning on covering his bases quite well?

As he notes, the 'opinion of my fellow netizens' is what he is looking for. I highly doubt he will make his final decision based on random online forum members going 'thumbs up', esp since he is also soliciting independent appraiser information as well.

Good luck Fan!
1.gif
I hope this stone turns out beautiful for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results