shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cerealcity

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased the following diamond:

AGS-000, F, VS2

Table = 56%
Depth = 62%
Crown = 34.2 degrees/ 15.2%
Pavillion = 40.9 degrees/ 43.0%
Girdle = 1.4% to 2.2% Faceted
Pointed Culet

I purchased the diamond from DirtCheapDiamonds for $3,176 and appraised by D. Atlas. The diamond scored .8 on the Holloway Cut Adviser and has a nice hearts and arrows pattern. Others have indicated I paid approx $500 too much because the diamond is "warped" or the crown% + girdle% + pavillion % do not equal the depth %. Also, they indicated that the diamond is cut too deep. Any comments would be appreciated.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
"Warped" diamonds were introduced by Fred Cuellar... Try to do the search on this board for his name.

. See what Cut Nut and Ghost_In_The_Net wrote about it. In particular:

"The reason that when measuring in the Sarin machines the Sum of Pavilion height, Girdle thickness and Crown height don't add up to the Total depth is due to one reason. Each institute measures a different part of the girdle. AGS and AGL institutes grade the girdle by the valleys.
HRD on the other hand grades the Girdle by the Bezels and If you'll check in the Sarin machine in the HRD institute you would see the in fact the velues do add up."

It is quite usual for Sarin or AGS (they use Sarin machines) to have this problem. We recommend using crown and pavilion angles anyway because they are more accurate and do not depend on the variation of the girdle thickness and culet size.

Re: too deep pavilion. One shouldn't consider pavilion alone but in combination with crown angle. Even GIA admitted that there are many combinations of proportions that produce beautiful diamonds. This particular combination is just fine :)

Ask the person (Fred?) who said that you paid too much to offer you another diamond and post the numbers here for comparison. Maybe you'll get a great deal?[/u]

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I just went to Fred' website and did a search for Dirtcheap. :)

Gor couple of predictable results:

As usual, Fred's using “warped” tactic to scare people and get the business for himself. He is smart... :(sad [/u][/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results