shape
carat
color
clarity

Good price for a diamond ring...or not? Help!

wickerman

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm a Newbie to this forum and would like an opinion on a diamond engagement ring that i just purchased from Goodwill. I would greatly appreciate any help you guy's can offer. Also, time is of the essence because of a limited return policy! also, if i have posted this question in the wrong area of this forum please forgive me and Mods, feel free to move? I uploaded a few links to the ring in question.. Thank you all!
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=26285527

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wickerman, don't want to hurt your feelings, but return that ring. You can do a lot better on James Allen / BlueNile 1ct J/K Si Excellent cut for roughly 3.5k including the ring setting.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my goodness, return it as quickly as you can!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wickerman -

Yup, it's a dog. Ditch it fast!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poorly cut...please return!

wickerman

Rough_Rock
I had hoped this may have been a great deal and that i was also helping out the folks at Goodwill at the same time. Oh well.... Thanks so much for all the replies! The quest continues :angel:

wickerman

Rough_Rock
yes, Glad i could help:) It looks like you have a great Thread started and very helpful to a novice like myself. Btw, if anyone has suggestions (websites or otherwise) for a nice engagement ring please feel free to send me a Link? As far as the 4 C's requirements i'm thinking Si1 - VS2, ideal - fine cut, G - H, and 1 - 1.4 carats. Not sure if I'm supposed to post my email here or if you guys wanna just chime in on this thread? Thanks again for the help and for sharing your knowledge!

everstone

Rough_Rock
wickerman|1450476302|3963213 said:
yes, Glad i could help:) It looks like you have a great Thread started and very helpful to a novice like myself. Btw, if anyone has suggestions (websites or otherwise) for a nice engagement ring please feel free to send me a Link? As far as the 4 C's requirements i'm thinking Si1 - VS2, ideal - fine cut, G - H, and 1 - 1.4 carats. Not sure if I'm supposed to post my email here or if you guys wanna just chime in on this thread? Thanks again for the help and for sharing your knowledge!

What's your budget? I will say that what you're describing ranges from $5000-6000 starting, diamond only. Certainly not close to the $3000 ring you first posted.

wickerman

Rough_Rock
Budget of $3,500 to $4,000 for complete ring, set, shipped USA.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring you bought from goodwill was a 1.03 non-ideal cut, L SI2.

Just making sure you know that a G-H (4-6 grades higher), VS2-SI1 (1-2 grades higher) ex-ideal cut is going to cost substantially more than that one you bought at auction.

You will likely have to at least look at G-I AND give up some carat weight to stay in budget.

But super sleuths find beautiful diamonds for people in all budget ranges here all the time.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something is going to have to give with your budget and requirements for size, clarity and colour. I believe these are worth looking at depending on what you prioritise. I've put size and budget ahead of colour and clarity with these. Because you seem to be wanting a finished ring and to be finished I've not searched through James Allen, White Flash and the like. Others are better at that than I am anyhow.
www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-95ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-i-j-si1/
www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-02ct-est-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-l-m-vs1/
www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-90ct-est-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-l-m-vs/
www.rubylane.com/item/1105910-EM1599/18K-Hearts-Fire-0-70-CT
www.rubylane.com/item/1003549-3470j/Appraised-vintage-Platinum-Diamond-engagement-ring
www.rubylane.com/item/745125-000800/Vintage-Mid-Century-Diamond-Engagement-Ring
www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-antique/1-07ct-antique-transitional-cut-diamond-solitaire#.VnSo8OK2pco

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringo865|1450481274|3963254 said:
The ring you bought from goodwill was a 1.03 non-ideal cut, L SI2.

Just making sure you know that a G-H (4-6 grades higher), VS2-SI1 (1-2 grades higher) ex-ideal cut is going to cost substantially more than that one you bought at auction.

You will likely have to at least look at G-I AND give up some carat weight to stay in budget.

But super sleuths find beautiful diamonds for people in all budget ranges here all the time.

Agreed. 1.01, H, SI1 scoring 1.8 on HCA is $5,340 without a setting. www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-774165 That's pretty much the going rate. You can get a plain, nice setting in 14K for $400 - $600 but that still puts you over budget substantially.

At $4,00 you can expect to drop down to K colour, SI1 or SI2 clarity, compromise slightly on cut and keep the size. Or go J - K colour, VS2 - SI2 clarity, better cut and drop in size to 0.80 - 0.90. Or some other combination of factors. It's a healthy budget you have, but it's not large enough to have it all. For example, this 0.92, J, VS2 seems nice at $3,450 and that'd leave you around $500 for a simple setting, www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.92-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-709666

wickerman

Rough_Rock
This is great information and I appreciate the help very much.. I still haven't made a decision on which one to go with though. As far as "Bang for the Buck" have any of you ever bought a decent ring from an auction site? ebay,etc...?

wickerman

Rough_Rock
Rhea, thanks for the auctions sites you linked.. Lots to choose from but it seems the good prices do come with a trade off, being most have no proper certification and are poorly cut. (still searching)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
wickerman|1450843874|3965149 said:
Rhea, thanks for the auctions sites you linked.. Lots to choose from but it seems the good prices do come with a trade off, being most have no proper certification and are poorly cut. (still searching)

Not all of those are poorly cut. Some of them are very nice, just antique faceted. They are well cut for the faceting type.

As for whether we have scored a nice ring off sites. Yes. But many of us have years of experience hunting rings on those sites. And even then it takes luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to recommend this combo of stone and setting:

Setting:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-crown-bezel-engagment-ring-item-53324
Stone options:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.14-carat-k-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-684413
or
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.93-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-796980

The bezel will cover the tint from the side of the stone. The collar of pave will give it a some bling on side view. And the basket allows for a flush fit band. And the bezel is enhance the size of the stone. Personally I'd go for the J. But you seem to want to hit the one carat mark, so I posted the K for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results