shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Old Gold

slperan

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I'm in contact with GOG based off the reviews from this site. I have my grandmothers wedding ring that is very special to me, do you think it's fine to send it to GOG to get placed in the setting of my choice? Just worried something could happen to the diamond, it's .90 but it has a lot of sentimental value. Suggestions? Get set by GOG or someone local?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If GOG has the setting you want, then yes it will be fine. I've worked with them several times and couldn't be happier. Do you have insurance on the stone? That would be the question to ask - does GOG have insurance to cover the stone during the setting process or do you need to have a policy on it first?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG has a very good reputation on these boards. That said there is always a risk with unsetting and resetting a stone no matter where you send it or who does it. Verify with GOG that your stone is insured during the process so at least if anything does happen you will be reimbursed for the value. Post pics when it's done!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you worried about it being lost/stolen while shipping it, or worried something could happen to it while at GOG.
GOG is very reputable, mail it "Registered Insured" and you will fine.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1394409224|3630698 said:
Are you worried about it being lost/stolen while shipping it, or worried something could happen to it while at GOG.
GOG is very reputable, mail it "Registered Insured" and you will fine.

Just also be aware that to ever actually claim a loss with insured postal packages you need to have proof of the value of the item, meaning an appraisal or a receipt. Since this is an heirloom piece you may want a value appraisal first before you send it out.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
GOG is absolutely reputable but I would advise not to send USPS but instead, overnight, insured UPS overnight!

It is always exciting to do an heirloom reset, good luck!

slperan

Rough_Rock
I have an appraisal but not insurance (yet), the ring is currently in the lock box. I'll make sure to send it insured, I think GOG uses fedex?
All the advice is great! I'll be sure to ask GOG about them. Thanks everyone!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, fed ex is great for businesses but they don't insure high value items for individuals (unless it's insured through your own separate policy). That's why I recommend ups insured, signature required, they will do any amount, you pay a little extra but well worth it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1394412788|3630747 said:
Yes, fed ex is great for businesses but they don't insure high value items for individuals (unless it's insured through your own separate policy). That's why I recommend ups insured, signature required, they will do any amount, you pay a little extra but well worth it!

We have always been told here that you have to either send USPS or pay the vendor to use their shipping label, if they'll do it. (Apparently it is possible thru UPS, but I do not think that is as safe as USPS Registered Mail.)

I would have the current ring insured before it is sent. I don't think most jewelers cover a customers stone while being set. Then when the diamond is in a new setting, you can have the appraisal updated and then update the insurance.

slperan

Rough_Rock
Should I ship it via USPS in a Flat Rate 2-BD box? If I buy insurance from Jewelry Mutual do I need to insure it from USPS as well?
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm also looking into getting my center stone recut by Brian Gavin since the appraisal says it weighs .9 carats with 6.-6-6.04x4.03 dimensions. It's very white but doesn't have a lot of 'fire.'

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have never purchased from GOG before but have had the pleasure of meeting Rhino/ Jon. I think you will be in very good hands. They are a family run business and Jon is really one of the nicest people who will ever meet. ;))

And POST A PICTURE please! I love me some old cuts!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking at a specific setting or custom? If not, you might consider looking at some stock settings somewhere such as Stuller or James Allen and then have someone local set it.

slperan

Rough_Rock
I've been in contact with GOG regarding the Gabriel & Co setting ER 6996 http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER6996W44JJ and using 3 of my grandmother's stones (center and 2-3mm) or having a custom ring made in a similar design. The center stone is a round brilliant not a old cut-sorry!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ship Priority Mail Insured in a flat rate box all the time for items valued under $5k.

However, if the item is an heirloom and irreplaceable, then I ship USPS Registered Mail, First Class, Insured. It takes longer but is the most secure method of shipping items under $25k.

Always double box your items, never tell what is in the package, and do not write out a jewelry store name on the address. In this case, you would not write out Good Old Gold, you'd put GOG and then the address. Tape around all edges of the box. Those ends can very easily be opened on priority mail boxes if not taped!

I do insure in mailing regardless of whether the item is already insured or not. If it is lost while in transit, I'd rather not file against my jewelry policy as that might have long term consequences such as higher rates, particularly if there is ever another claim. Plus, all policies are different and I would not assume that the item was covered while shipping unless you have that in writing on your policy.

anthony-roman

Rough_Rock
GOG is quite reputable these days. So yes your diamond would be perfectly fine. But don't go for any local brand or something if you want your diamond returned back to you without any damage.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is what I would do...
once you have the appraisal get it insured through jewelers mutual.
Then it will be insured while it is being reset.
However it will not be covered in transit.
There is always a small risk when resetting a stone and gog or pretty much anyone else will not cover it while it is being set unless you bought the diamond from them.
However JM will cover it.
Then when it is reset submit an appraisal of the new ring to JM and your good to go.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
slperan|1395771349|3641121 said:
Should I ship it via USPS in a Flat Rate 2-BD box? If I buy insurance from Jewelry Mutual do I need to insure it from USPS as well?
yes, JM will not cover it during shipping.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're not planning on having it set before you have it recut right?

The correct order would be to have it recut first (if possible) then reset.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results