shape
carat
color
clarity

Good news, bad news, and then some good news again

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
So the good news. I have finally picked the components of the e-ring!

I settled on an old european cut sapphire cut by Roger Dery. It is a 1.7 darker sapphire but the cut won us over. There is something about the old european cut that adds character to the stone. It faces much smaller than the carat size suggests, but i like the higher crown and smaller table. Its not the royal / medium blue everyone seems to love on here, but my SO prefers the darker tone. Here is the pic below.

sapphirebluerd1_72ct_7994.jpg

Having nailed down the stone the next step was the setting. We had fallen in love with Van Craeynest, but the price ($8000!) gave me pause. After a couple of weeks i finally gave in and made the call. Here is the bad news. Van Craeynest is largely shut down. They currently do not have the personnel to manufacture the more complicated settings. I can't tell you how bad i felt for the owner as he really couldn't confirm when they would be back on line. They did have some remaining settings on hand, but they were all well over $10k. I really hope they don't end up going out of business as there is truly no equivalent in rings of that style.

vc_1012_1.jpg

Good news again! I discovered Singlestone. Initially i had a hard time getting over the Van Craeynest settings... There is something about the Van Craeynest settings that give them a certain look of strength and quality that no other ring seems to have imo. Singlestone rings tended to be more dainty. But alas i found it, the perfect match:

singlestone_wg.jpg

singlestone_plat.jpg

So finally, i am all set. 8 - 10 weeks and i'll have the final result for you. The last decision is whether to go with white gold or platinum. Singlestone uses an unplated white gold (first picture) that gives the metal a certain warmth that i prefer over platinum (second picture). On the other hand, i think platinum is more practical. If anybody have opinions between which to go with, id be happy to hear it!

Well, thanks everyone for all of the help! Particularly Chrono who has always had an answer to my questions. Over the past months my knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds. At this point i think i knew more than 90% of jewelers i met locally when it came to sapphires.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with plat. It's a harder metal and will retain those details better over the years.

Can't wait to see it all together!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I love the Singlestone setting you selected! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum because the details will hold up better in the long run.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Spectacular setting. I'm so sad to hear about VC though.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the color of the sapphire is gorgeous and can't wait to see the finished product.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
WOW. That is going to be amazing. Can't wait to see it!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Go for the platinum. Better for the long term. Since you're gong for such a high-end, detailed ring, you want to make sure the details last.

GORGEOUS setting. I also really like your darker sapphire. Lately I have been drawn to them. I don't think yours is too dark, either, at all. Just very rich and luscious.

Sad to hear about VC. I dreamed of owning on of their pieces someday...

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Fabulous choice! I am so excited for you.

Platinum- it is a classic and durable choice, and, I like it better with your blue- oh what a beauty!

So sorry to hear about VC- I had left messages and not gotten through in the past weeks- I agree that nothing compares.

I love your Singlestone choice; we must have similar taste, lol, as I inquired with them as well. It should be wonderful and breathtaking, I am looking forward to seeing your ring!

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
The stone and setting is going to make a gorgeous ring! I vote for platinum, too.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I think i am going to lean heavily towards Platinum. I'd hate to have this ring lose its form a decade from now. Its a shame the platinum doesn't have the same warmth as the white gold as i feel that tone is truer to the antique / vintage look that i'm aspiring to achieve here. Was platinum commonly used at the turn of the 19th century or is that a newer development?

With respect to Van Craeynest... I felt horrible. I really wish the best to them. In addition to this major roadblock, my impression is that they are having a hard time with the business model. Their cost of production must be extremely high. From my experience, Van Craeynest was at from 30% - 80% more expensive than Singlestone. Perhaps it was just a matter of the rings I looked at.
Question for you all. Is “hand forged” synonymous with “die struck”? Does one have qualities that the other one doesn’t?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
devaughnb|1402763527|3693170 said:
Is “hand forged” synonymous with “die struck”? Does one have qualities that the other one doesn’t?
No. They are different processes. Die struck can have more detail and the metal is more dense. There are few companies doing die struck, because you have to make a different mold for each item of jewelry and storing them would be very difficult. Hand forged has everything made by hand.

From Victor Canera:
Hand Forging is the direct crafting on metal of a piece of jewelry and doesn't involve the use of wax, moulds or casting. A design is formed in the mind of the designer, ingots of platinum or gold are melted and then pressed, bent, formed or pulled into the different parts that comprise a piece of jewelry.

This page is informative about the different types:

http://jcrs.com/JCRS_for_consumers/jewelry_information/precious_metals/workmanship.htm

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the final product, it will no doubt be stunning!

Sad to hear about VanCraeynest though, I guess I waited too long to get a pendant made.
It definitely makes me cherish the VC piece I own though.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
They may still make pendants!

Its only the more complicated pieces that are currently halted. Give them a call to make sure.

D

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering, does anyone know the current situation regarding VC?

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cookie,

Thanks for asking the question. I'm curious too. I called about a pendant recently and learned that it was no longer in production since Stan retired. I have been absorbed with other things the last couple of years and I guess I just missed the boat. :((

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'd also love to know about VC's status -- I love their work. If you don't get a response here people on RT may know.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
This is long overdue... You all were such a great help in choosing a stone and setting. I finally received the stone from SingleStone in December, an 18 month process. Overall, i was very pleased with the results.

First, the stone. The sapphire is from Roger Dery and was 1.8 carats if memory serves me correctly. It is a darker blue which my SO preferred. We adored the old european syle cut given the vintag-ish style we were trying to replicate. The only drawback of the cut was that the stone appears much smaller than its weight suggests. Had it been available i might of gone for something a little larger, but shopping for the "right" sapphire is a remarkably difficult endeavor.

Second, the setting. The ring was a custom platinum design from Singlestone. The design was inspired by two of their rings that caught my eye. In my case it took about 6 months for the final product... I think this is key if you are going the custom route. Allow yourself enough time so that you never feel like you need to rush. I was somewhat surprised at how small the piece was once i received it, since i had become accustomed to looking at the ring in magnified pictures. In the blown up pictures the workmanship shows some slight assymetries but to the naked eye we think it looks fantastic. Originally, we had planned to go with Van Craeynest, but unfortunately there was no new production. Hopefully, this has changed as those rings were also incredible.

I can't thank you all enough for the help! The references to both SInglestone and Roger Dery came from Pricescope. Also, all of the stuff i learned here made the process far more enjoyable, and i think, resulted in a very nice ring.

9_photo_4_0.jpg
9_photo_2.jpg
20141207_145006-1.jpg 20150718_231848.jpg
20150718_231936.jpg

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow, that is a tall crown and I love it! I really love the color too and that setting is stunning! Love the intricate metalwork. :appl:

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning!! What a special ring! I love the detail.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow :love: :love: :love:
Your ring came out amazingly beautiful! The color, cut and high crown of the stone and the perfect detailing of the Single Stone setting has led to a stunning ring. Do you have any handshots?

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Delicious! I love tall crown and small table combinations. There is something in that cutting style that makes me drool :lickout:. And combined it to the beautiful halo setting result is always irresistible. Love :love: . Hand shots, please....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring, stop apologising for the stone being dark, it's beautiful, the colour - it's just personal taste!!! In the UK a top blue sapphire is a darker "Royal" colour (think Princess Diana) - they like them that way!!!! In the US stones a bit paler in colour are considered top blue but there is no right or wrong colour it's just a matter of personal preference and yours is stunning - magnificent setting too!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is stunning!! Great job on creating a unique and memorable ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! SS is very expensive but does fantastic detailed work. Any hand shots?

As for Van Craeynest, I thought I read that they have opened shop again.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
I'll be sure to add some hand shots this evening after work!

The color was a big debate for us. Admittedly i was hell bent on purchasing a royal blue stone simply because my impression was that it was the ideal. However, when i showed her this one she preferred it above everything else we encountered... And we compared this stone to at least 3-4 dozen sapphires that we found here in Montreal.

Singlestone is quite expensive! The price of the setting easily exceeds the stone. But I wanted this ring to be completely hand done, and I thought it would be even nicer to be able to put a face and name to the artisans who crafted it. A couple of weeks after I gave her the final product, I put together a mini album on how the ring and stone came together. For the stone, there were pics from Roger's site and a brief video of his adventures procuring these stones. For the setting, I had images of the various stages of the ring's construction, even the CADs. If there is any interest i could put those up as well. The journey itself was a lot of fun, however, not everyone's SO is quite as patient as mine :)

D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love it if you started a new thread on it, especially if you post a million pictures. Consider that as payment for the CSers' help. :lol:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I think your patience has really paid off - quite a stunning ring! The sapphire is spectacular, I love seeing a precision cut round sapphire - that in itself can be a rarity. I would also love to see more pics :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results