shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Jewelers in NYC for Emerald Cocktail Ring

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
I have a very special ring that was a gift from my mother, it’s too big for me and it’s vintage so some of the halo is a little smooshed, anyone know of a good reputable jeweler in nyc who can resize cocktail rings and fix them?

Ps, somehow all the photos are sideways

1E2480FA-9DB9-4172-9460-CDCE246B3181.jpeg B076BAC6-B212-429B-A714-BB6644FFD42C.jpeg
1E2480FA-9DB9-4172-9460-CDCE246B3181.jpeg

Attachments

• 592ADB8E-2977-4B1E-A66E-105133258DCC.jpeg
    592ADB8E-2977-4B1E-A66E-105133258DCC.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 36

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always been happy with the bench work done at Greenwich St. Jewelers in lower Manhattan. I've not had any work done there recently, but the prices I paid in the past for, e.g., tweaking a setting, mounting a colored gem, were reasonable imo.
Their work is done in-house, so you can have face-to-face interaction with the bench who's actually doing the work.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
No recommendations but your emerald is beautiful! :kiss2:

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion @MollyMalone, I'll check them out. Out of curiosity, what's the expected price to pay for resizing a ring? $25? I'll probably try another ring first because I'm really nervous about destroying this one.

@PieAreSquared thank you! My mom had the most beautiful jewelry.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Resizing is going to depend on the metal and how much size you need. If it is too big you might look into sizing balls or those curli-q ring sizes on amazon.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion @MollyMalone, I'll check them out. Out of curiosity, what's the expected price to pay for resizing a ring? $25? I'll probably try another ring first because I'm really nervous about destroying this one.

@PieAreSquared thank you! My mom had the most beautiful jewelry.
I can't swear to it and this was several years ago, but I seem to remember that Greenwich St. Jewelers charged me $75 for the re-sizing (I needed the ring to be sized up, not down). Think it's unrealistic to think you can get a ring re-sized -- by an expert bench using a laser welder (which is the only MO I'll consider nowadays) -- in NYC for $25.

Don't know how much too big your mother's ring is for you, but you might consider having, e.g., sizing beads, a "speed bump," or a "horseshoe" sizer installed on the inner shank. Not a super-cheap fix (and I personally dislike the feel of sizing beads, but am ok with the horseshoe), but these can keep the ring from spinning (and your ring is, gloriously, top-heavy) & can be removed should your own finger size increase. E.g.,

Is the ring currently insured, does it already have a lab report, are you interested in both/either of those? AGL -- better than GIA for colored gems in the opinion of most of us here on the CS forum -- is right there in midtown at 5th and 47th:
And I can happily recommend David Wolf at Just Appraisers at 5th and 49th. He's well credentialed and enjoys an excellent reputation; his office is nicely equipped; he's very nice, personable and informative. I think you'd really enjoy sitting and chatting with him as he evaluates the ring.

It is an absolutely smashing ring, a wonderful memento of your mother :love:

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, we are nearly ring sisters!
It’s very beautiful.
The emerald will have to be removed from the setting if they need to work on the prongs, diamonds. Also if they don’t have a laser for resizing. Emeralds don’t handle high heat and can’t be pickled (that the solution jewellers put jewellery in after working).
So it can cost a few hundred dollars.
And don’t try cleaning the ring with anything other than a soft toothbrush with water and a speck of dishwashing liquid.
No ultrasonic cleaner.
955C2B1E-1A06-4D58-A92D-591E2C3C7A87.jpeg

Sparklemore

Shiny_Rock
I recommend Enhoerning Jewelry... they do amazing work and fast too!

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow I didn’t realize it’s so pricey, but of course if anyone’s touching this ring I want nothing but the best. I currently have a curly sizer on it, while it fits fine on my middle finger, it’s loose on my ring finger and I’d love to be able to wear it on both. For now I think it’s better to not touch it until I find a jeweler I trust.

I have an appraisal from a lab called Labtrade that I’ve never heard of. I’m not interested in getting an official cert since I don’t plan on reselling and I’m not going to insure it since I don’t wear it daily. It’s a 6 ct emerald plus 2tcw of diamond it’s a really substantial ring that I wear to dinners and shows.

Your emerald is beautiful too @bron!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results