shape
carat
color
clarity

good housekeeping vs REAL women

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
have ya''ll seen this? it''s the end of a LONG day and it made me giggle.

The Good Housekeeping Way #1
Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
The Real Women''s Way
Just suck the ice cream out of the bottom of the cone, for God''s sake. You are probably lying on the couch with your feet up eating it anyway.

The Good Housekeeping Way #2
To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
The Real Women''s Way
Buy Smash mashed potato mix and keep it in the pantry for up to a year.
The Good Housekeeping Way #3
When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking tin, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won''t be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
The Real Women''s Way
The Cheese Cake Shop sell cakes. They even do decorated versions.
The Good Housekeeping Way #4
If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it''s still cooking, drop in a potato slice.
The Real Women''s Way
If you over salt a dish while you are cooking, that''s tough, Please recite with me the Real Women''s motto: "I made it and you will eat it and I don''t care how bad it tastes."

The Good Housekeeping Way #5
Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
The Real Women''s Way
It could keep forever. I don''t eat it.
The Good Housekeeping Way #6
Brush some beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield beautiful glossy finish.
The Real Women''s Way
Sara Lee frozen pie directions do not include brushing any egg whites over the crust so I don''t do that.
The Good Housekeeping Way #7
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
The Real Women''s Way
Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and drop it in 8 ounces of tequila. Drink the Tequila. You might still have the headache, but at least you will be too drunk to give a hoot!
The Good Housekeeping Way #8
If you have a problem opening jars, try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
The Real Women''s Way
Go ask mister tight-arse, cutelegs, single neighbor to do it for you.
The Good Housekeeping Way #9
Freeze leftover wine into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
The Real Women''s Way
Leftover wine?????

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that was one i had NOT seen before!
tooo funny! ahahahahaha..

thanks ginger

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that is sooo true, love it. Thanks Ginger. That put a smile on my face!!!
9.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
That made me giggle too.

Although, I have to ask -- does putting an apple in with the potatoes really keep them from budding? Would you have to regularly switch apples to prevent mold?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ginberB....had to come out of lurkdom to thank you for that. Needed a giggle today. Blenheim...I''m going to experiement with The Real Woman''s Way #7...why don''t you play around with The Goodhousekeeping Way #2 and we can report our results back to the group later
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha i love the dessert ones of course...sucking it out the bottom of the cone, classic!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Haha, Matatora. If I didn''t have a meeting with my thesis advisor early tomorrow morning, I might join you...
9.gif

I would need to actually buy potatoes before trying the Goodhousekeeping Way #2. The last bag I bought not only sprouted, but then got unbelievably moldy and I think that the basket they were in now has a permenant rotten smell.
14.gif
I doubt that an apple could have prevented that, but I thought that I''d ask for future reference.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not Matatora...I''m Matata and happy to report that the tequila helps with hedakes but reeks haveuc with one''s abilllitie to spel. However, my cat just took a crap on the carpet right by my feet -- his loving way of telling me to pay attention to him rather than the computer
20.gif
-- and my mood, so recently lightened by the tequila, is on the downward slide and I''m heading to the kitchen to refresh my drink.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Matata, sorry I messed your name up.
7.gif

Is that headache still gone this morning?
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the last one--freeze "leftover" wine and save for use in sauces, etc. What leftover wine??? We don''t have that problem in my house, lol!
9.gif

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
There was a Xerox copy of an article floating around here at work a few years back. It was from the ''50s and I think it was from Good Housekeeping. It was a list of maybe 20 "tips on how to be a good wife." Next to it was a picture of a woman standing over a hot stove, all made up, and with a big smile on her face as she stirred one of several dishes. The tips were unbelievably June Cleaverish. Things like "Have a drink ready for when your husband comes home. Have the children clean and orderly. Have a hot meal ready. He''s worked hard all day--don''t tell him about yours. If he''s late, don''t make a fuss or ask why." Wish I could remember more, because most of them made my jaw drop. It was perfect propaganda for some events of the next decade, that''s for sure.

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
haha!!! i LOVE it!!!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2006 3:29:49 PM
Author: Waited2Long
There was a Xerox copy of an article floating around here at work a few years back. It was from the ''50s and I think it was from Good Housekeeping. It was a list of maybe 20 ''tips on how to be a good wife.'' Next to it was a picture of a woman standing over a hot stove, all made up, and with a big smile on her face as she stirred one of several dishes. The tips were unbelievably June Cleaverish. Things like ''Have a drink ready for when your husband comes home. Have the children clean and orderly. Have a hot meal ready. He''s worked hard all day--don''t tell him about yours. If he''s late, don''t make a fuss or ask why.'' Wish I could remember more, because most of them made my jaw drop. It was perfect propaganda for some events of the next decade, that''s for sure.
Someone actually posted that article in the Stay at home Mom thread a while ago...it is hysterical! Sometimes I think my husband has read it, or his dad has and those attitudes rubbed off a little on my DH, lol! I just say "hey, I''ll bake all the pies you want when you tell me I can stop working, ha ha!"
2.gif

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 4:36:47 PM
Author: monarch64

I just say ''hey, I''ll bake all the pies you want when you tell me I can stop working, ha ha!''
2.gif

Exactly.

Found the image!

http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/images/goodwifeguide.gif

Apparently, from google info, this may just be a popular hoax.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I like the last one " A good wife aways knows her place" - right, on PS that is.
31.gif
a little plug

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Also i was wondering as my English is not that good, does "housekeeping wife" mean Wife that Keeps the House after divorce? For Good.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 7:46:55 PM
Author: Pricescope
Also i was wondering as my English is not that good, does ''housekeeping wife'' mean Wife that Keeps the House after divorce? For Good.
Why Irina that is correct, there is nothing wrong with your English at all!!!!lol
2.gif
11.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
haha... I love it!!!

Although, I have to admit, I do #8 when FI (or any other guy) is not around to help me open those dang cans...
14.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I just read my Good Housekeeping! I definitely love and laughed hard and out loud at #7 and #9...wowee!...Too funny! I needed a good laugh...today was tough...thanks for this!
emotion-5.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
BTW...it is my birthday here on the West Coast at 12:01am...just thought I''d mention that...thanks for the chuckles before bed...
emmoon.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 5:58:42 PM
Author: Pricescope
I like the last one '' A good wife aways knows her place'' - right, on PS that is.
31.gif
a little plug
Oh this is absolutely GREAT!
face23.gif

Keep them comin'' ladies!
9.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a REAL WOMAN!!
9.gif

And proud of it.
36.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
what I''d like to know, please..is where do I find one of those ''good wives'' for our house?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results