shape
carat
color
clarity

Good HCA but sales rep sales this diamond might be too included

thesearchbegins

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I'm quite interested in this diamond for an engagement ring. I liked the HCA on this diamond, but the sales representative told me that this is not a good stone because of the many inclusions (some on the face) and tried to talk me into another option with a higher HCA score (above 2 rating) but a VS1 clarity grade with less inclusions.
I was wondering what the experts think of the cut of this stone (is this a good quality cut?) and if you think the inclusions will be noticeable or eye clean at this size 2.18ct?

Any and all advice from this group is greatly appreciated, thank you sincerely!

EVS2 SCREENSHOT  REVIEW.png

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want to see video and photos of this stone to know whether the inclusions are affecting the light return or if they aren’t actually an issue. The certificate does note surface graining and pinpoints as well as the clouds but those aren’t noted as the grade setting clarity characteristics.
Have you seen the stone yourself in good light?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a vs2 - I don’t personally like surface graining, but I doubt it would make this diamond not eye-clean even at this size.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I liked the HCA on this diamond, but the sales representative told me that this is not a good stone because of the many inclusions (some on the face) and tried to talk me into another option with a higher HCA score (above 2 rating)
HCA is a rejection tool not a selection tool! Pass for < 2, fail for > 2.

After filtering with the HCA tool, you need to still look at the specifics of the diamond: videos, proportions, advanced images with available etc. if to see if it is any good.

What is your budget? Do you have any particular preferences for size, color, clarity (or as long as eye clean)? Are you open to using other vendors? Do you like 60/60 style stones or do you just want something well cut? We can help you find better options.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it would be eye clean but it sure wouldn't be " mind clean " in my opinion. Those inclusions are going to be reflected in the stone and there are just too many IMO.

thesearchbegins

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses! This is incredibly helpful - thank you all, deeply appreciated!

@Diamond_Enthusiast thank you for asking - my current parameters are:
(1) a really excellent cut is the top priority (which can be hard to tell for me)
(2) Color within D, E, F
(3) Carat I've been looking more at measurements than carat size
(4) Clarity VS2 or above

Last edited:

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
(1) a really excellent cut is the top priority (which can be hard to tell for me)
(2) Color within D, E, F
(3) Carat I've been looking more at measurements than carat size
(4) Clarity VS2 or above
If your top priority is cut, I suggest you choose a WF ACA - you'll get the best of the best in cut with advanced images (ASET, idealscope, H&A images) to prove it. WF also has an excellent upgrade policy (new option only needs to be $1 more) if she ever wants to upgrade down the track.

Here are one two options that matches your criteria:

With the second option, I see the inclusion on the table but it says it is eye clean. I suggest you ask WF about how eye clean it is so they can give you more details.

Register with WF first before your purchase to get $100 first order discount.

If you want to compare the stones or just want to see more details, you can ask WF to get comparison videos, more photos etc. too to help with your decision.

If you are interested in these stones, ask WF to put it on hold/reserve for you while you consider/get more visuals to decide.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
a really excellent cut is the top priority (which can be hard to tell for me)

You need to do more research into what qualifies as a "really excellent cut".

Triple X on a GIA report has no real meaning since GIA calls many poorly cut diamonds XXX. Many of their XXX diamonds will look blah, even if they are D-IF. This is because their cut standards for XXX are way too loose.

Cut determines the beauty of the diamond, much more than non eye visible inclusions.

thesearchbegins

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions @Diamond_Enthusiast and @Kim N! I'm aiming to stay below $30K for the stone, if anyone happens to come across one at a lower price range, I'd love to take a look. I'll do some looking on my own as well.
@Wink I completely agree - I don't really focus on GIA tripleX as I have seen several diamonds that weren't great but were rated tripleX. I think AGS scores are more rigorous, but there's a lot of other factors to consider beyond that as well.

FWIW, I like that 60-60 style because I personally prefer brighter and spreadier stones. VS2 with multiple inclusions would not bother me if it was eye clean for me. So I would be happy with the stone as long as it looks beautiful to the eye.

If you want an ACA, those are going to be above budget with the specs you mentioned. So it comes down to what parameter you’re willing to budge on. If you can go up to 35k - the 2.095F seems like a good deal. But if you want to stay below 30k, you will likely need to compromise on size and/or colour to get the ACA.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Definitely run a PriceScope search for diamonds, if you haven't already.

Some other search engines to check out:
RareCarat.com
StoneAlgo

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
If you want an ACA, those are going to be above budget with the specs you mentioned. So it comes down to what parameter you’re willing to budge on. If you can go up to 35k - the 2.095F seems like a good deal. But if you want to stay below 30k, you will likely need to compromise on size and/or colour to get the ACA.

This is true!

If you are willing to compromise on color and clarity one notch to get the best cut, here is an ACA that is larger than your initial option posted:

Brian Gavin Diamonds is another vendor of super ideal cut diamonds. Absolutely gorgeous stones! Upgrade policy is less generous than WF but still reasonable (need to upgrade on 2 aspects - clarity, color or size). Here are the options within 30K budget:

If stay with F color and accept SI1 clarity, Brian Gavin takes preorder and will cut you a stone:

If you go down to G color and have VS1 clarity, preorder option:

If you go to G SI1, back wire price is $30,458

Again, register with Brian Gavin before purchasing to get $100 off first purchase.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't a super-ideal, but it looks quite nice and is within your color/clarity parameters and under budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results