shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
I was in Jared yesterday with my girlfriend and we are in the process of picking out her engagement ring. We''ve done some looking for a little while so I''m fairly familiar with the way diamonds are categorized and such. Anywho, while we were there looking at rings and diamonds we came across a very beautiful diamond and I''d like to know if I''d be getting a good deal.

.84 Carat
Color (F)
Clarity (VS2)
Round Cut

It''s priced at 3,600, which in comparison to similar diamonds in their selection it doesn''t match up. For instance, diamonds of the same size, lower color and lower clarity are actually HIGHER. The lady said in has only been in the store a short while and believes it is priced incorrectly (as in stupidly priced, she will sell it for the marked price regardless). She did not appear to be trying to "make a sale" or hustle me into anything. She is going to double check the specifications for me to make sure only the price is low. Is this a good deal? I already put it on layaway because the rock looked FANTASTIC in the setting we picked out and I don''t want to miss out on the ability to get this larger stone (otherwise I have to go to a .72)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
First I have to ask who graded it? That makes all the difference in the price. If it''s GIA or AGS, you''re getting a good price.

If it''s any other lab or there isn''t a cert. It''s probably not a true F, VS2 and it that case, you''d be over paying.

For similiar ideal cut stones, you''re starting at over 4k but the cut does make a difference. If your .84 isn''t a great performer, a smaller size stone will still outshine it. As far is it looking great in the store, most diamonds look great in jewelry stores. It''s all about their lighting.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 11:39:37 AM
Author: elle_chris
First I have to ask who graded it? That makes all the difference in the price. If it''s GIA or AGS, you''re getting a good price.

If it''s any other lab or there isn''t a cert. It''s probably not a true F, VS2 and it that case, you''d be over paying.

For similar ideal cut stones, you''re starting at over 4k but the cut does make a difference. If your .84 isn''t a great performer, a smaller size stone will still outshine it. As far is it looking great in the store, most diamonds look great in jewelry stores. It''s all about their lighting.

True, all diamonds look great to an untrained eye - that''s why I''m doing my research here!
21.gif

I cannot remember which certification it had, but it was certainly GIA or AGS and I''m leaning towards AGS because that is what most of them were that we looked at. So it seems like a good deal for the time being? Is there anything else I should be aware of while I still have it in my grasps in layaway?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Fine out which lab graded it. If it is AGS, is it an AGS0?

Come back and post the table, depth, crown angle and pavilion angle. The pros will let you know.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 11:47:31 AM

Come back and post the table, depth, crown angle and pavilion angle. The pros will let you know.

I will call them on Monday when they are open again as ask about that information. Until then, what is the general opinion of Jared? Does really even matter who sells the diamond (not ring) if it is certified by a reputable source and priced appropriately?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 11:58:27 AM
Author: cartisdm

I will call them on Monday when they are open again as ask about that information. Until then, what is the general opinion of Jared? Does really even matter who sells the diamond (not ring) if it is certified by a reputable source and priced appropriately?
Welcome!

As Elle says, post the info above plus the girdle and diameter measurement, polish and symmetry then we can take a look. You can do a search for Jared to read others experiences with them, their Peerless brand are AGS0 cut grade I believe, I also understand you will pay a premium for this - typically brick and mortar sellers can be more expensive than online.

Also when buying a diamond it is worthwhile considering any vendor benefits such as upgrade policies and what the various terms are should that ever be a consideration, so sometimes it can matter who sells the diamond if such services are important to you.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:01:58 PM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

As Elle says, post the info above plus the girdle and diameter measurement, polish and symmetry then we can take a look. You can do a search for Jared to read others experiences with them, their Peerless brand are AGS0 cut grade I believe, I also understand you will pay a premium for this - typically brick and mortar sellers can be more expensive than online.

Also when buying a diamond it is worthwhile considering any vendor benefits such as upgrade policies and what the various terms are should that ever be a consideration, so sometimes it can matter who sells the diamond if such services are important to you.

I know the diamond is not from their Peerless collection, though we did (briefly) look at those too. I don''t know enough about how it all works to know if the AGSO certification you mentioned is done for diamonds in their other collections as well.

I will take a look at some of the other threads about Jared. It is hard to think about upgrade policies etc because it''s in the future and all you can think about it affording the ring now!
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only Jared''s Peerless diamonds are AGS0 and they are lots more expensive than you can find with the online vendors here. I was ring shopping with someone recently who was trying to get an idea on size of different stones. Interestingly enough, the Peerless stones are offered in .50, .75, 1.00, and then they jump to 1.50. No inbetween from one to one and a half carat. Must cut out alot of buyers though - there is alot of room in between one and one and a half carats!

Jared''s is different from most mall type stores in that they do offer the AGS0 cut stones. They also have GIA stones available as well. However, you would need to educate yourself on table, crown and pavillion angles to know what to look for. We were sitting with a sales lady pulling up stones on their website. She was trying to push one in particular that was GIA certified but I pointed out it was in the steep/deep range. She looked at me like I had two heads so I''m guessing they are not as educated as they should be. She went on to tell me that she was a ''diamondtologist'' - just sounds like a made up title to me!

Moral of this story is buyer beware - just double check before you make a purchase. I''d also very much suggest you contacting some of the online vendors here - prices are surely much better!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a good price if it''s a good cut stone. A smaller stone with a really good cut will out shine a larger, poorer cut stone. It''s not just about it shinning and looking good at the jewellery store, any stone can do that! For your budget you could easily come up with a .75 or larger, G or higher, SI1 or higher ideal cut stone if the .82 turns out not to be the stone for you.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock

Ok, I called Jared today and this is what I was able to get:

.84 carat Round Cut, Color F, VS2

Graded by IGI

The lady didn't know what table, depth, crown angle, or pavilion angle was. I don't either, but I figured she's the one that works in the jewelry store....Regardless, she also gave me the following numbers. Maybe they will mean something to you

5.87 to 5.94 X 3.82mm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 1:06:33 PM

Ok, I called Jared today and this is what I was able to get:

.84 carat Round Cut, Color F, VS2

Graded by IGI

The lady didn't know what table, depth, crown angle, or pavilion angle was. I don't either, but I figured she's the one that works in the jewelry store....Regardless, she also gave me the following numbers. Maybe they will mean something to you

5.87 to 5.94 X 3.82mm
That is the diameter measurement. IGI are considered to be less strict on grading than GIA or AGS, without the above info such as the crown and pavilion angles we have no way of knowing how well the diamond is cut. It sounds as if this lady in the store isn't well up on the importance of a diamonds cut....Do they have any AGS0 cut grade diamonds they could show you? Also what is the depth percentage on this diamond, is that listed on the report?

This page explains how the grading labs rank.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, I think it is deep. 3.82/5.9 = 0.647 or 64.7% depth. Definitely not ideal cut. I would skip this stone, will face up smaller than ideal cut stone of same weight and probably leak light.

EDT:
Ideally cut, a stone of 0.84c should have a diameter of around 6.05mm, this is only 5.9mm, which is more the spead of a 0.79c stone. So you are paying for a heavier stone that looks smaller and probably leakes light, making it look smaller still.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 1:20:22 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Lorelei, I think it is deep. 3.82/5.9 = 0.647 or 64.7% depth. Definitely not ideal cut. I would skip this stone, will face up smaller than ideal cut stone of same weight and probably leak light.

Ideal cut, should have a diameter of around 6.05mm, this is only 5.9mm, which is more the spead of a 0.79c stone.
Thats what I made it now I found my calculator, I am not good without it! cartis I would as above ask about AGS0 cut grade which they should have and see what else they can show you.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 1:27:18 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 4/13/2009 1:20:22 PM

cartis I would as above ask about AGS0 cut grade which they should have and see what else they can show you.

Well, I went to the Jared in Newport News, VA while visiting my girlfriend. It will be a while before I''m back in that area (3 hour drive). Until then, I think I will check out the diamonds listed online. We''ve settled on at least a .79 or larger because of the way it looks in the setting. Honestly, clarity and color as not that important to her - we just settled on that particular one because we didn''t want to miss out on a opportunity if it was one.

I haven''t looked on this site or anywhere for individual diamonds. I''m sure it''s self explanatory but feel free to suggest anything you think might suit my situation

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your budget for the stone?

dia24

Rough_Rock
Here''s a few that are close to your original $3600 price that look great.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2095770.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2095767.htm

And a few for even less...

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2097578.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2097579.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982371.htm

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:43:51 PM
What is your budget for the stone?

Well, the $3,600 was a stretch but I know my need for a large diamond puts me in a tough spot. I don''t want to go higher than that, and I''d prefer to be around 2,600 (if that''s an unreal expectation let me know)

I will also check out the above links closer when I have a chance later

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Change to links. Good selections here, basically if you want size for a given budget, drop clarity and color. Color to as low as you are comfortable with, clarity to eye-clean at SI1 even 2 level is possible.

phildominator

Rough_Rock
To throw out an important $$$ point as well...

No sales tax when buying online from a site like Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, James Allen, etc...

Some online sites also offer discounts for wiring the money.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I like THIS one from James Allen for $3450 (Pricescope bankwire discount)

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Check out this video: http://vimeo.com/2309461

Maybe consider looking at Color I and J as well.

It''s easy to over-analyze color while shopping...I did. Once the stone is in the ring itself, though, color''s harder to distinguish -- some people can, some people can''t.

In the store, you''re comparing two stones on a white background. In reality, the stone''s on a ring on flesh-toned skin. Rarely do two women lay their rings right next to each as well.

-- Also to note, a top-notch cut will also make the diamond look whiter.

-- Color doesn''t impact the diamond''s performance (ie sparkle, fire, etc), either. It''s the cut. I''ll take a "J color, Ideal Cut diamond" over a "D color, poorly cut diamond" anyday.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Another thing with buying the ring online is I need to make one full payment, so I'll have to have the money upfront. (Please, no crap about buying a ring using payments - I've gotten it before). With that in mind, it might force me to keep the price of the diamond under 2,500.

The setting is a two crossing diamond bands, very beautiful. Currently a marquee setting but Jared will fix that right up. If I can find a picture I'll post!

EDIT: I found a similar picture

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it won't let me attach the picture....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 11:17:26 PM
Another thing with buying the ring online is I need to make one full payment, so I''ll have to have the money upfront. (Please, no crap about buying a ring using payments - I''ve gotten it before). With that in mind, it might force me to keep the price of the diamond under 2,500.

The setting is a two crossing diamond bands, very beautiful. Currently a marquee setting but Jared will fix that right up. If I can find a picture I''ll post!

EDIT: I found a similar picture

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it won''t let me attach the picture....
You won''t find anyone offering that advice here - it is very unlikely. PSers tend to advise not putting rings on credit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 7:49:02 AM
I'm still trying to get a hang of this online diamond shopping thing. I searched around and this one seems pretty cool. Let's call this a practice to see if I'm doing it right. Is this one any good or a giant pile of crap? (in which case I need to reevaluate my technique for finding diamonds!
21.gif
)

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-2097579.htm
Your technique is spot on - lovely diamond!
emthup.gif
With all SI clarities, make sure the diamond is eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well done.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re even considering considering please put it on hold. It''s not unusual for diamonds to go quickly once the link has been posted out here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results