shape
carat
color
clarity

Good deal or no?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am ready to take the ultimate pludge. Have to admit that I don''t know much about diamonds, so I wanted to know if this is a good deal or not. I put an engagement ring on layaway from Jared''s.

1 1/2 TCW 3 Stone Princess Cut for $2800.

Clarity SI2
Color I

All three diamonds are on a platinum prong but the ring is 14K gold.

Thanks for you help in advance.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO idea. DO you know the size of the centre and side stones?

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
The center stone is 3/4 CW and the 2 side stones equal the same size as the center stone. It looks beautiful.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Does it come with a grading report? Do you have any other info?
1.gif

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
I am not sure actually but I am going to find out. I put the ring on open layaway so I can get my money back. Also, is it true that round stones are better then princess stones? I am thinking about changing to a round stone ring since I have been researching it more. It's for Valentine's Day, so I still have some time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/15/2004 9:00:00 PM Floridaguy wrote:

Also, is it true that round stones are better then princess stones? ----------------

There seems to be a slight problem with this ring. The cheapest I, SI2, 0.75cts princess cut I could find was little less than $800. I surely am aware that these stones are far cheaper bought in numbers (such as the maker of that ring buys them) and that if I was to buy just one I should expect to give up 1k. There are three stones like this in your ring: they should have been as cheap as $700 apiece to leave some room for the cost of the setting. I guess it is up to you to judge wether the respective price represents some profit sacrifice form the part of the seller or something less pleasant. If you believe it is acceptable to go for the bargain and risk finding out later that the quality specs are a couple of notches lower and the price was no bargain after all, then why not. This is just my opinion, of course.

Can you spend a little time finding out what makes a diamond better or worse? There is no absolute truth here: there are quite a few characteristics that make diamonds more or less attractive to each person. For example if for you the best diamond is one with great sparkle, than rounds are "best" by design - no other shape handles light better. Of course, from theory to fact there is some distance, and the execution of each diamond (the quality of the cut and overall quality, sometimes called "make") may produce a round diamond that has poor optical propeties, worse than many other non-rounds.

If the target is a three-stone ring with diamonds between 0.7-0.8 cts, than a little more research may offer some options to the current ring. How big are the diamonds (meaning the side of the little squares they sho face-up)? Most princess cuts do not really show alot of their weight - of course, this may not be your case.

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your insight. I am kind of changing my mind now. I think I am going to get a loose certified diamond for the center. Can you do that on a 3 stone ring though? Since I am not proposing until Valentine's weekend, I still have plenty of time. I actually know how and when I am going to do it, I just need the ring now.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get all three stones and a separate settign and piece everything together, of course. Deciding on shape, size, lowest color and clarity acceptable and budget would be a start and runnign a simple search for your specs on the Pricescope front page engine would give you an idea about what to expect online, wether you will use some of the sources Pricescope posters may recommend or not. Also, if you post these specs, I bet you will also get suggestions for stones and setting.

Oh, and why not a solitaire? It is a classical solution to end up with one high quality stone instead of three compromises
2.gif

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
Actually I was thinking about a solitare with accent sides to it. She has small hands so that might be better anyways. Jared has loose diamonds so I going to see what I can get with my $3000 budget. Thanks for your help Valeria101.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck! I am glad I could help... I would expect a 0.9cts (6.2-6.3 mm diameter) I-SI1 (eye clean) in a white gold solitaire setting to get the most out of this purchase. A B&M store would probably be more expensive, and a more complicated setting would contain a smaller centre. All in all, no reason not to get a nice ring ideed.

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
You might have saved me from making a big mistake. I beginning to think that it would be better to get a good GIA certified center stone then a 3 stone ring with no certification. When you say B&M stores are you talking about mall stores or stores like Jared? I don't really want to buy one from the internet. Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know Jared, and it has been a while since I got jewelry anywhere but online (actually the stones concerned). Uncertified diamonds? no way. I guess EGL-certified diamonds tend to be sold at a discount 'cause their grades are less strict in some respects; GIA or AGS - any day, no comment.

Quite a few "internet sellers" have traditional stores too. For example, GOG (NY) and DBOF (Florida) are two that Pricescope holds dear, and for some good reasons. If you would consider shopping around, maybe a serch here about Florida jewelers would help. The truth is that these sellers (online of mix) tend to have better prices. The whole thing is up to you to check and decide, of course.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2004 2:18:45 AM Floridaguy wrote:

I don't really want to buy one from the internet. Thanks----------------

Why not? You will probably get a better stone at a better price. You may want to work yourself around the tutorial & the posts here on Rockytalk. It's worth consideration.

Floridaguy

Rough_Rock
I like a round stone and ring that I saw on Blue Nile website. It was exactly what I wanted. Does anyone know how reliable they are though? Has anyone ever purchased from them before? Thanks

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2004 7:42:40 PM Floridaguy wrote:

I like a round stone and ring that I saw on Blue Nile website. It was exactly what I wanted. Does anyone know how reliable they are though? Has anyone ever purchased from them before? Thanks----------------

Do a search & work yourself around PS postings. Blue Nile is a force to be reckoned with - but doesn't provide the greatest value on the net. But, many a happy consumers.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You could get a yummy stone like this with your budget.

BlueNile is very reputable. It's not the least expensive internet jeweler, but it does have a very large operation and all the perks that come with that . . . many people to manage customer service, etc. And you can create a three stone ring there by choosing a center stone and pointing a clicking.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could not agree more about Blue Nile. They are not as focused on cut quality as many PS sellers and the price is higher, but not a bad place...

One good thing about PS is that the forum does much of the shoppin for you: once you post an option (such as the combination of stone and setting at BN, for ex.) 10 other posters will have fun beating down the price or quality using examples from sellers they have learned to trust. Not that most jewelry stores, on or off line cold possibly maintain a pack of spirited personnel anywhere close to the PS lot. And, we do it for fun regardless of what the order is for
1.gif
Funny thing, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results