shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Deal on a 1.8ct?

Hunky_Hunkington

Rough_Rock
I am in talks with a recently divorced lady who wants to get rid of her wedding set. Here are the specs:
1.80 ct Princess set on Platinum Tiffany style band
Clarity – VS1
Color – H
Polish – Excellent
Symmetry – Very Good
Flourescence - None
Polish – Excellent
6.80 x 6.50 x 4.84mm
Depth – 74.5%
Table – 69%
Girdle – Med to Slightly Thick
Culet – None
The diamond has been graded by GIA and IGI. She is also including a platinum band with some channel set diamonds. She doesn’t have any specs on the band, but paid 3k in ’05 from Costco. I am primarily interested in the diamond and plan to have it reset. Curious if I should make the deal for 6.8k.
Thanks in advance. HH.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, Whiteflash has a GIA certed 1.80 ct. princess (H, VS1) for $12,322, so that seems like a decent price, though I know very little about princess cuts and can't address the specs. Have you seen the stone in person?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/search.aspx

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you actually see the GIA report? Will she allow you to have it independently appraised?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Costco? Can't she return it? :devil:

Just kidding, though Costco's return policy is fantastic!

No red flags - but there's a lot more info we would need to have to be able to blindly tell you whether it's a good or bad stone. That's of course a different question from whether or not it's a good buy, or good value! You've seen the stone - what did you think of it?

Hunky_Hunkington

Rough_Rock
I have seen it (naked eye), though I am far from skilled at noticing the finer details of the rock. But first impression was a quality stone, symmetrical, brilliant in sunlight lots of sparkle, no obvious flaws. She is willing to have it independently appraised. She had the original receipt and originals of both reports. I plan to have it checked out by someone, but wanted to start here with you guys and confirm it is a decent enough deal to persue further. Would it be worth having it graded by AGA, AGS, or EGL-USA to have the cut evaluated?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hunky_Hunkington|1306891576|2934978 said:
I have seen it (naked eye), though I am far from skilled at noticing the finer details of the rock. But first impression was a quality stone, symmetrical, brilliant in sunlight lots of sparkle, no obvious flaws. She is willing to have it independently appraised. She had the original receipt and originals of both reports. I plan to have it checked out by someone, but wanted to start here with you guys and confirm it is a decent enough deal to persue further. Would it be worth having it graded by AGA, AGS, or EGL-USA to have the cut evaluated?

Only AGS will grade cut - and there is a timeline and cost involved! I'd just find an appraiser in your area and arrange to meet there - I would trust a good appraiser to tell you what you need to know. She sounds like an honest seller. You could even make the purchase in the office and avoid all uncertainties altogether, if you decide to go ahead!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second Yssie's suggestion! A great one, as always!

Hunky_Hunkington

Rough_Rock
Yssie said:
Only AGS will grade cut - and there is a timeline and cost involved! I'd just find an appraiser in your area and arrange to meet there - I would trust a good appraiser to tell you what you need to know. She sounds like an honest seller. You could even make the purchase in the office and avoid all uncertainties altogether, if you decide to go ahead!

Great, thanks for the advise Yssie. And thanks to all for the input.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results