shape
carat
color
clarity

"good" cut diamond in halo?

nyceditor

Rough_Rock
When my fiance picked out my ring, he had it set in a plain setting so I could pick out a setting I liked. Since getting the ring, I realized it is not the best cut. It is a bit too deep. It is rated "good," which I now know is not that good. Returning it isn't an option. I don't want to hurt my fiance by giving away the diamond he proposed with. He thinks it is a great diamond and actually spent a lot on it.

Would putting the diamond in a halo setting help or hurt things? It would be a halo setting that still allowed light to get through the bottom of the diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A halo would help because the nice cut melee will add some sparkle that the stone is lacking. Could the stone be recut? It would have to be evailuated, but its not that expensive, and a place like brian gavin can cut it AND add it to a nice sparkly halo all at once

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about the idea of a possible recut. Can you give us all the measurements from the grading report? I also agree that a halo is a good idea!

nyceditor

Rough_Rock
The stats are

63.4% depth, 57.4% table, 37° crown angle, 41.3° pavilion angle

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyceditor|1367886632|3441617 said:
The stats are

63.4% depth, 57.4% table, 37° crown angle, 41.3° pavilion angle

Yes, it should have some leakage. I am betting it faces up small for it's weight. What is the weight and diameter?

nyceditor

Rough_Rock
I think this is what you are looking for:

7.57 x 7.62 x 4.81

Weight: 1.718 carats

I did the math at one point and I believe it was equivalent to how a 1.5 might look.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whats the clarity? And who graded it?

nyceditor

Rough_Rock
I believe 4 (VS2) is the number you are looking for? It was graded by AGS, but there is no cut grade on the certificate. I got the info on "good" cut from HCA.

So the complete info is:
measurements: 7.57 x 7.62 x 4.81mm
weight: 1.718
total depth: 63.4%
table: 57.4%
girdle: thin to slightly thick; faceted
culet: pointed
polish: excellent
symmetry: excellent
color grade: AGS 2.0 (H)
clarity grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Fluorescence: negligable

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ask because i know some inclusions make it difficult for a recut, though i dont know which exactly. I would imagine though at that clarity though, theres a chance it could be recut. id take a look at brian gavin and good old gold, see which has a setting you'd like. They can both recut it and i think both are around $300 a ct or so. Then, once you decide, you can contact them, see what they think about your stones eligibility

to other PS'ers, would Jon recut your MRB to a AVR?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that he prefers 41.4 for the pavilion to cut an AVR, but I certainly would ask if she was interested in that cut.

The diameter is about that of a 1.6 ct, so not bad at all. 1.5 ct stones are usually about 7.4mm. I think your stone is worth recutting, personally. Good Old Gold will charge more for an AVR because of the location (shipping) and expense of the cutter. But if you want an ideal cut, then Brian Gavin is a good option and I think GOG also has a cutter for that.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The OP said that a return is not an option, a recut may also hurt his feelings because you are telling him he screwed up.
BGD would do a good job adding a halo, also check out Chris at ERD. I think the OP is in NYC, so is ERD.
Best of luck.

nyceditor

Rough_Rock
What is MRB and AVR? Google is not much help with those terms.

Does this accurately sum up what you are saying?: A halo will help, but if I wanted an ideal diamond, I should have it recut?

Or is it more like, everyone who looks at your diamond thinks it's a piece of garbage and you need to find a way to have a conversation with your fiance about recutting?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry :wavey: i was asking other PS'er if your Modern Round Brilliant (MRB) could be cut into an August Vintage round (AVR) which is a branded gut that Good old gold sells, very popular on here.

I think what we are saying is that a halo would certainly help, but if your hubby is willing to have it recut, you might be able to cut it down to something very special without spending too much, or loosing too much face up size

styringca

Rough_Rock
I don't think recut the diamond will hurt him,and the halo set is always my favorite.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
styringca|1367890902|3441683 said:
I don't think recut the diamond will hurt him,and the halo set is always my favorite.

I agree, you arent selling his stone for a loss or something, you're keeping his stone and still wearing it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I am in your same situation. My stone is a lot less than ideal but my hubby doesn't want me to recut for fear that it would shrink too much. I have tried several settings...from solitaire to 3 stone but I finally realized that the halo is the setting that most favors it. You can check my other posts--it is not a delicate melee halo but I have come to terms with the fact that this slightly large halo really favors my stone. I get LOTS of compliments...LOTS. Hope this helps.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
A halo can do wonders :love: how about wear it with a halo for a couple of years then consider the recut idea if you are still not happy with it?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1367888952|3441651 said:
The OP said that a return is not an option, a recut may also hurt his feelings because you are telling him he screwed up.
BGD would do a good job adding a halo, also check out Chris at ERD. I think the OP is in NYC, so is ERD.
Best of luck.

Before you do anything you may want to put yourself in his shoes.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1367891218|3441686 said:

I agree, you arent selling his stone for a loss or something, you're keeping his stone and still wearing it.

Agree. You are just making the stone be the best that it can be, not replacing it. I had a less than optimally cut stone in the past and put it into a super sparkly halo. The problem that I saw with my eyes was that the halo performed but the diamond didn't and the whole look just didn't flow. I have since replaced my stone with a super performer and am so much happier!

sparkle_more

Rough_Rock
Is it common not to have the cut grade on the AGS certificate? I ask because I'm relatively new to AGS, but my new AGS graded diamond had the cut clearly stated on the report. My diamond is an AGS 000 diamond and does not score well on HCA - which seems to be common. So my point is that just because it isn't scoring well on HCA doesn't mean that it is a poorly cut diamond. Obviously the op has the angles and everything (which I don't know enough about to comment on). Maybe the op can post the AGS cert number so we can look at the certificate?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Well, none of us here have seen the diamond, or even photos of the diamond, so it's really guesswork to suggest a recut at this point. Do you like the diamond, despite what the numbers say? Does it have fire and sparkle? Do you get compliments on it? A 1.7 carat AGS graded diamond that scored "Good" on the HCA, with H color and VS2 clarity, is much better quality than the majority of diamonds being sold in most jewelry stores and worn on the fingers of most women in the U.S. I agree with Willy that recutting it or even suggesting a recut (at least at this stage) may hurt your fiance's feelings. Not worth the risk. I think a halo setting is a great option. You can always investigate the recut option sometime in the future, for an anniversary perhaps. Or maybe your husband will agree to a trade-in for a larger stone in the future, for an anniversary. I just think it's premature to discuss a recut with him, based on the suggestion of a bunch of folks on the internet who haven't seen the stone in person.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
sparkle_more|1367933288|3441896 said:
Is it common not to have the cut grade on the AGS certificate? I ask because I'm relatively new to AGS, but my new AGS graded diamond had the cut clearly stated on the report. My diamond is an AGS 000 diamond and does not score well on HCA - which seems to be common. So my point is that just because it isn't scoring well on HCA doesn't mean that it is a poorly cut diamond. Obviously the op has the angles and everything (which I don't know enough about to comment on). Maybe the op can post the AGS cert number so we can look at the certificate?

Good points, sparkle more. I completely agree. The HCA cannot "see" the diamond.

ETA: The HCA is also particularly harsh on diamonds whose proportions stray into the steep/deep category. So take the HCA score with a grain of salt.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand why we are assuming a recut well hurt his feelings. We know he's attached to the stone, but I don't see anything to indicate he's attached to the CUT

Eta. Also why would you say a trade in is an option yet say a recut shouldn't be? That is something that seems like it would hurt his feelings, to me a recut is the same as a reset. Just making the ring attractive.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1367934543|3441910 said:
I don't understand why we are assuming a recut well hurt his feelings. We know he's attached to the stone, but I don't see anything to indicate he's attached to the CUT

Eta. Also why would you say a trade in is an option yet say a recut shouldn't be? That is something that seems like it would hurt his feelings, to me a recut is the same as a reset. Just making the ring attractive.

Hi, Niel -- I meant a trade in or a recut in the future; not now. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I think, from what the OP has said, that even the mere suggestion of changing the diamond in any way would be upsetting to her fiance. But, in time, discussions of upgrades and trade-ins and recuts may not be as big a deal to him.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd talk to the SO about it. I know for me if he is OK with a reset doesn't seem a far jump to assume he may be OK with a recut. I mean he did well that size color and clarity are really nice! A recut if available for that stone could make it something really special.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

I agree as well. If it isn't going to loose much diameter (assuming it's a good candidate) then I'd do a recut if you've determined the performance isn't up to snuff and probably go with BGD then you can get it set at the same time. There are ways and there are ways to get the recut done without making him feel like a shmuck.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, its really worth it to throw this 1.71ct diamond in the FI face, graded by AGS, H/VS2, and paid a huge chunk of change for.
I can see the conversation going something like this:

NYCEditor: Honey, thanks for that big stone you gave me for our engagement. However, since you gave me the diamond ring, I have gone onto an internet enthusiast site called Pricescope. Many of the contributors to the site are very smart and wise about diamond selection to get the best bang for the buck. I am considering putting a pave halo around the stone for a new setting or having the stone recut to get better dimensions so it will sparkle more.

FI: Huh..........I thought you loved the ring, you were just over the moon when I gave it to you and were jumping for joy, showed it to all of your friends and family, and told them what a large rock it was. You know, I did research of my own and did not buy any diamond. It is graded by AGS who is a very respectable grading company, it is H in color and VS2 in clarity. I spent months looking and spent a bundle on you!

NYCEditor: Well I do love it, but you could have done better.

FI: Really...............Well if you don't like it why don't you just give it back to me.

And you know what happens now..................

Alert: Above masterpiece written from a guys perspective.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1367939935|3441977 said:
Yeah, its really worth it to throw this 1.71ct diamond in the FI face, graded by AGS, H/VS2, and paid a huge chunk of change for.

NYCEditor: Honey, thanks for that big stone you gave me for our engagement. However, since you gave me the diamond ring, I have gone onto an internet enthusiast site called Pricescope. Many of the contributors to the site are very smart and wise about diamond selection to get the best bang for the buck. I am considering putting a pave halo around the stone for a new setting or having the stone recut to get better dimensions so it will sparkle more.

FI: Huh..........I thought you loved the ring, you were just over the moon when I gave it to you and were jumping for joy, showed it to all of your friends and family, and told them what a large rock it was. You know, I did research of my own and did not buy any diamond. It is graded by AGS who is a very respectable grading company, it is H in color and VS2 in clarity. I spent months looking and spent a bundle on you!

FI: Really...............Well if you don't like it why don't you just give it back to me.

Are you kidding?!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What the heck is your problem? The OP posted for advice, and the posters gave her suggestions. She can take it or leave it. You already posted enough times to make it obvious you think it's a bad idea. Was this really necessary?

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock

A tad extreme but I think you got the right point across... I think that by virtue of him selecting the diamond he did, graded by AGS, which is probably the most reputable grader out there (even more so than the GIA), being a nice color and great clarity, he probably put a lot of thought and effort in finding and selecting that stone. I dont know him but it is possible that if you present him with the idea of a recut he may get offended.

I have a question, when you look at the diamond how does it perform? how did you feel about it before you went on the HCA tool?

I ask this because the HCA is meant to weed out diamonds that are bought over the internet to help purchasers buy stones that are not seen in person. However, if you see a stone in person and you love it, the HCA is really pointless IMO.

I believe that Jon from Good Old GOld has done videos on youtube and there have been a lot of discussions on here regarding the HCA tool and how it may not represent the whole picture, as there are still STUNNING diamonds that do not score well on the HCA.

So, if you loved the diamond before you used the HCA tool, and you still think it is beautiful, I would just take the HCA with a grain of salt as it is merely a tool for people to use who maybe havent actually seen the diamond.

Finally, I think a halo would add to the sparkle factor, and if changing the setting wont offend your fiance, then I think that it could be a really great option!

Good Luck!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results