shape
carat
color
clarity

Goldfilled

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen pieces on the internet labelled as goldfilled, is this just the same as gold plated?

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Yep both are just gold over some base metal.

flee12

Rough_Rock
If I'm not wrong, gold-filled jewellery has a thicker layer of gold than gold plated jewellery.

It is very important to understand the difference between Gold Filled and Gold Plated, which relates to the amount of gold used. Gold plated products have a very thin layer (seven-millionths of an inch) of gold, while 14K gold filled products must have at least one-twentieth of their entire weight in 14K gold. This means that gold-plated items, while cheaper, will not last as long, because eventually the thin gold layer will rub off. Gold filled items, however, will remain gold for a lifetime if cared for properly. The occasional silver spot is from solder holding joints together. Unless you are using harsh chemicals or abrasives, the gold layer will stay gold for years to come!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you lisaC and flee12, that is what I was wondering if it was thicker, I have been told now that it would be like rolled gold which we do have over here.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Many gold filled items show little or no signs of wear over decades of daily wear. Gold filled pendants were very popular in the late ''70''s
and early ''80''s. When i was in retail, out of college in 1978, I remember selling a ton of gold filled chains and pendants. Winard Co. in NY
was a huge supplier.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results