shape
carat
color
clarity

Golden goodness: FLBY in a floral two-tone setting (pic heavy)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi folks. I've been wanting to get better at photographing this ring before starting a thread but that may never happen so here goes.....

My e-ring! 2.8 VS2 FLBY in an 18k yellow/white gold 6 prong setting.
mudra comp.JPG

So last year, after deciding to get married, we went ring shopping. Hubby took all of 4 hours to decide on his ring, it took me 4 months to figure out mine. He left it to me to decide what I wanted which was great but overwhelming. Things I considered: an eternity, a montana sapphire, a chunky halo ring, an oval with half moons, no e-ring just a band, etc etc etc.

We spent a lot of time browsing our local B&Ms and were drawn to stones with some color. I spent even more time browsing online, found these boards, and learned about new vendors. We took a chance on this round brilliant from B2C jewels.

out of the box composite.JPG

It's kind of a weird stone. It's a fancy but seems to be cut for sparkles, not color retention....but B2C pegged it as equivalent to a "very good cut." (eek!) The arrows are a little wonky! It has a long indented natural on the girdle that looks scary in the magnified photo! There's brownish in that yellow!

I'd also been eyeing a 1.8 ideal cut M (same price) but once the vendor sent video of the stone, I was done for. Here's a screengrab:

video grab comp.JPG

And it looked even better in person. [VIDEO link]

20170929_100411.jpg

A local jeweler made the setting, armed with a bunch of inspiration photos and my doodles. Here it is before setting and polishing.

pre setting and polishing.JPG

The CAD vs the reality.
cad vs reality comp.JPG

Handshots. [VIDEO link]

handshots comp.JPG

Last but not least, fire! It throws off a lot of yellow but also blues and reds and greens. I have a yellow heirloom stone that only throws off white light so this has been so much fun.

fire composite.JPG

Thank you to the posters here who have created a wealth of helpful info on this site. And of course to my husband for hanging in there through all the e-ring shopping. I doubt he will ever read this but....<3.

Attachments

• 20170929_100411.jpg
    20170929_100411.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 46

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love it!! Unique and beautiful!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous golden beauty! :love:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful setting! It’s very similar to an MC2 setting that I love!
Beautiful stone too! Congratulations, wear in health and happiness!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maggiemeans @LisaRN @Bonfire

Thank you so much!

MC2 designs are so beautiful. The inspiration mix was MC2, CVB, Erika Winters, Danhov, Diamonds by Lauren, Noam Carver and some random Etsy settings to boot....:mrgreen2:

ETA: I originally wanted this very reasonably priced off-the-shelf setting from MARS but couldn't find a dealer anywhere near me. Guess it worked out for the best!

mars muses.JPG

Last edited:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and setting :love:

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:love: I love the profile!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: I love the profile!

that's my favorite view =P

i don't know what it's called, but the narrow view from the side (aka the "broccoli stalk view") i'm still having trouble warming up to. :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just simply stunning! The diamond certainly has a very unique personality & the setting is dreamy! Fair play to your local jeweller for pulling it off - it's a match made in heaven! Enjoy your pretty :love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's my favorite view =P

i don't know what it's called, but the narrow view from the side (aka the "broccoli stalk view") i'm still having trouble warming up to. :lol:
That’s the view I have saved after you posted it somewhere else on the site - I LOVE it! :lol-2:
That’s such a beautiful ring - you can see some of the inspirations but it’s also clearly its own piece. Love your super plain band next to it too. Your wedding set is one of my favourites. (Thank you for the extra pics - more for my inspirations folder!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi folks. I've been wanting to get better at photographing this ring before starting a thread but that may never happen so here goes.....

My e-ring! 2.8 VS2 FLBY in an 18k yellow/white gold 6 prong setting.
mudra comp.JPG

So last year, after deciding to get married, we went ring shopping. Hubby took all of 4 hours to decide on his ring, it took me 4 months to figure out mine. He left it to me to decide what I wanted which was great but overwhelming. Things I considered: an eternity, a montana sapphire, a chunky halo ring, an oval with half moons, no e-ring just a band, etc etc etc.

We spent a lot of time browsing our local B&Ms and were drawn to stones with some color. I spent even more time browsing online, found these boards, and learned about new vendors. We took a chance on this round brilliant from B2C jewels.

out of the box composite.JPG

It's kind of a weird stone. It's a fancy but seems to be cut for sparkles, not color retention....but B2C pegged it as equivalent to a "very good cut." (eek!) The arrows are a little wonky! It has a long indented natural on the girdle that looks scary in the magnified photo! There's brownish in that yellow!

I'd also been eyeing a 1.8 ideal cut M (same price) but once the vendor sent video of the stone, I was done for. Here's a screengrab:

video grab comp.JPG

And it looked even better in person. [VIDEO link]

20170929_100411.jpg

A local jeweler made the setting, armed with a bunch of inspiration photos and my doodles. Here it is before setting and polishing.

pre setting and polishing.JPG

The CAD vs the reality.
cad vs reality comp.JPG

Handshots. [VIDEO link]

handshots comp.JPG

Last but not least, fire! It throws off a lot of yellow but also blues and reds and greens. I have a yellow heirloom stone that only throws off white light so this has been so much fun.

fire composite.JPG

Thank you to the posters here who have created a wealth of helpful info on this site. And of course to my husband for hanging in there through all the e-ring shopping. I doubt he will ever read this but....<3.

Scrumptious engagement ring.:love: LOVE it so much. Congratulations.:appl:
And your photography is wonderful too.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just simply stunning! The diamond certainly has a very unique personality & the setting is dreamy! Fair play to your local jeweller for pulling it off - it's a match made in heaven! Enjoy your pretty :love:

Thank you! They were quick too, it was less than two weeks from approved CADS to finished product.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s the view I have saved after you posted it somewhere else on the site - I LOVE it! :lol-2:
That’s such a beautiful ring - you can see some of the inspirations but it’s also clearly its own piece. Love your super plain band next to it too. Your wedding set is one of my favourites. (Thank you for the extra pics - more for my inspirations folder!)

HA! I'm so flattered, thank you! Yeah no other bands I've tried (and there were way more than the ones I posted on that other thread) have looked as good with it so sticking with what works. =)

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!
What does FLBY mean?:think:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you are too kind, thank you! i'm still learning how to get the best out of my phone & point & shoot =)

@alittlelight thank you! FLBY = the color grade of the stone from GIA is fancy light brownish yellow. The brownish looked most obvious in the vendor video, in reality it looks more lemony. :D

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That is SUPER pretty. That diamond just called out to you it seems. That’s how you know you got the right one. That setting is dreamy. I love the yellow gold petals and the side view is beautiful. You’ll see that angle more than anything else. Congratulations! Kudos to your local jeweler too. Such a perfectly executed vision.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That is SUPER pretty. That diamond just called out to you it seems. That’s how you know you got the right one. That setting is dreamy. I love the yellow gold petals and the side view is beautiful. You’ll see that angle more than anything else. Congratulations! Kudos to your local jeweler too. Such a perfectly executed vision.

Thank you so much! It totally did call out "pick me!" :lol-2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It turned out really nice...love the uniqueness of it!!! Stone looks like a little fire cracker!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and unique ring! :appl:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww, thank you @ac117 @tyty333 ...one of my friends said since it's so unusual it can't go out of style :lol:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks to the goodies from the g2g i've gotten a chance to see if our eyes were good judges of character :appl::appl::appl:

hard to tell with these photos but light return looks good! awesome...yet odd b/c the arrows are definitely wonky. i wonder what the cutters were thinking...maybe to get more weight or color out of it but in any case glad we ended up with it...such a weird cool stone. =)

20180518_101859.jpg
20180518_102039.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous! !! Stone and setting! !! Very happy for you!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww, thank you @ceg ! it was so nice to meet you! :wavey:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! I love this. Lovely combining of elements to get your final ring.

Belated congratulations. :wavey:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! I love this. Lovely combining of elements to get your final ring.

Belated congratulations. :wavey:

thanks, mrsB! it was a journey. i learned that custom is not for the faint of heart :lol-2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a cheapie macro lens kit for my phone and havibg some fun learning to use it (emphasis on learning) :mrgreen2::lol-2:

20190309_180537.jpg 20190309_180714.jpg 20190309_180634.jpg

Attachments

• 20190309_180451.jpg
    20190309_180451.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 30

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Love the setting, and enjoying the color too :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results