shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold vs. Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovetosparkle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I''m new here. I''ve lurked a few times, but have decided to register.

I''ve been engaged since last September and was able to pick out my ring. I opted for white 18k gold when I could have had platinum. Everyone I talked to, including jewelers suggested gold over platimum. For personal preferance, I love the look of white gold (or platinum), but I''ve already had to have my engagment ring "dipped" because it had started turning yellow. I''m kicking myself in the butt for not listening to my own instict and going with platinum. In the long run, paying $50 to have my rings dipped every year is eventually going to add up to the price of platinum. We''re not married yet (no wedding plans either), but I''d hate to start "upgrading" at this point.

So what''s your thoughs on Gold vs. Platinum?

lovetosparkle

Rough_Rock
Oh, and how do I upload pictures, or am I not allowed to because I''m new?
emsmile.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally like PLT for rings (for that reason) and WG for all other jewelry. It really depends on the person. I have a WG ring I have worn for 5 years, it is very slightly yellow but I have never replated it. You seem to have the kind of chemistry that wears the rodium off quicker. Is it a solitaire?

lovetosparkle

Rough_Rock
Well, my jeweler told me that when it was resized it probably wasn''t plated afterwards so that''s why it started to turn. It''s a princess cut with side stones. I''d post it..if I knew how! ;-)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is your lovely set!

24b6re2.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also if you do a search for PLT vs. gold debate you will find a ton of threads!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard some girls here say that their jeweler would re-rhodium plate their wg rings free for life. In that case, wg makes sense. But I''d be very unhappy with the thought of paying $50 a year to have it done. Your rings are beautiful, though!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2006 4:45:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I have heard some girls here say that their jeweler would re-rhodium plate their wg rings free for life. In that case, wg makes sense. But I''d be very unhappy with the thought of paying $50 a year to have it done. Your rings are beautiful, though!
Yes, our jeweler allows the free rhodium-plating for life, as often as I like... they actually encourage it every 6 months or so because they like to check the prongs and make sure the stone is still set securely. And we didn''t even buy the diamond from them, just the setting!

I chose white gold because I prefer the lighter weight, and that more shiny white look, than platinum gives you. I also thought I might like to upgrade my setting at some point, so WG was more cost-effective in that case.

You may want to check around with some other jewelers, as I''ve heard some people mention a re-dipping fee of only $25 or $30... at that price, you could get it done yearly for the next 40 years and still not equal the extra amount platinum would have cost you!
1.gif

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
Well, 13 years ago I went with WG for my set, it didn''t take long to deeply regret the decision, especially since now platinum so so much more expensive. Nobody told me WG would yellow, my current redesign ring is a must have in platinum.

For some reason the grayish color that platinum has does not bother me, but the yellow tinge of WG bugs me to peices. This subject again is very personal but just one more note, platinum lasts longer in terms of wear, at least that''s what I''ve found.
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2006 4:45:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Ditto. My setting is WG and my jeweler offered this. I would be upset too at having to pay, and keep paying to have it dipped.

But your rings are lovely. Congrats.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your rings are just beautiful!!! I have both white gold and platinum rings and each has its advantages and disadvantages. I think the issues with white gold turning depends on the body chemistry of the individual and also the style of the setting and how much the yellowing shows. Personally I am fine with white gold.

susi

Shiny_Rock
I would suggest platinum, at least for the prongs. It''s been my experience that plat holds the stones better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results