shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold Metal Colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiptoe

Rough_Rock
Sorry, but I''ll full of questions.

Everytime I see a choice of a white, gold or rose gold colored setting, the rose gold is sold the fastest. I talked with a jeweler who said rose gold isn''t as popular. If it was, he''d have a case of it in the store.

I dunno, seems to be a discrepancy.
33.gif
I like the color but am a white metal lover.

What do you think? Is rose gold just not "in"?

dobie

Rough_Rock
I''ve never seen rose gold by itself. The only time that I have seen rose gold is in combination with yellow and white gold like the stuff I got from Cartier. Is anyone actually producing jewelry using rose gold only?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
They make a lot less of the rose gold settings sometimes 10s compared to 1000s in the other colors a lot of the time.
Its pretty rare to see anything in rose gold localy here.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen absolutely gorgeous pieces made of 18k rose gold in Italy. I once saw a bracelet I wanted to buy but my husband said we couldn''t afford. I kept trying to find a bracelet like that for years. (I have one in that style in yellow gold. One day I will photograph it and post the photo. It is gently rectangular-rounded rectangular sides-and delicate chains connect the pieces.)

Deborah

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I have a rose gold band set with a small diamond.....some other rose gold rings, all of which are antiques. I also have a beautiful white gold and rose gold bracelet and earrings from Italy....also a 3-tone necklace and bracelet.....Some of the newer rose gold looks too colored....I guess they add copper to the mix to get the color....The rose in the older pieces is more subtle. Isn''t rose gold a bit "softer" metal than yellow gold?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2005 9
6.gif
6:50 PM
Author: Maxine
I have a rose gold band set with a small diamond.....some other rose gold rings, all of which are antiques. I also have a beautiful white gold and rose gold bracelet and earrings from Italy....also a 3-tone necklace and bracelet.....Some of the newer rose gold looks too colored....I guess they add copper to the mix to get the color....The rose in the older pieces is more subtle. Isn''t rose gold a bit ''softer'' metal than yellow gold?
HI:

Softer..b/c of the alloy used? I couldn''t say...although I just had a consultation with a one of my favorite jewellers to make a ring for a tourmaline I have, and I inquired about using rose gold and specifically if it was more difficult to work with (or wore differently) than yellow gold and the designer answered that it was/did not.

cheers--Sharon

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My mother has an antique ring made of rose gold. I really ike it and you don''t see it much in new jewelry. I bet it''s gone faster because they order less of it or something.

tiptoe

Rough_Rock
Golly, I must be the queen of rose gold. I have several rings and several bracelets with no stones. I also bought a "rose gold tone" watch to match the rings and bracelets.

I recently bought a wide, fancy scroll work, rose gold ring with a 1.84 square, checkerboard cut, medium purple colored garnet with .11 accent of diamonds. The square is set like a kite with the points n-s and e-w. Don''t know thatI like it that much.

However, I have a georgeous 3 stone kunzite, rose gold ring that I just love. The colors are wonderful together.

I''d post pix, but I''ve gotta figure out how to use the camera and then get the pix into the computer, etc. Summer might be here by then!

So I guess that rose gold isn''t terribly popular?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Rose gold is lovely. In years past, I''ve only seen it used in combination with yellow and/or white gold, but in the last year or so, I''ve seen more and more of it on its own. It has definitely been around. My brother and his wife, who were married 19 years ago, have tricolor braided wedding bands.

Also, I have noticed differences in the intensity of the pink in many pieces. Is there a standard *mix* that is used in rose gold and what is it?

Our daugther''s (age 10) favorite color is pink, so for Christmas, *Santa* gave her rose gold earrings to coordinate with a tri-color gold ring that she got for her birthday in September (yes, I''m rubbing off on my daughter in the jewelry departement).

DiamondLil

Little

Rough_Rock
I have an all rose gold "gate bracelet" I bought in Ireland about 12 years ago. It''s very pretty.
Little

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
I think that rose gold is great in antique style pieces. I love rose gold but I only have one item in it at the moment (the other one a ring is currently swimming somewhere in Port Phillip Bay
39.gif
).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years ago when I was looking for rose gold of the sort I knew from Italy, I realized that all my searches were bringing up "Black Hills" rose gold. I had never before heard of this, but now I notice it fairly frequently. It is rose/red/pink gold made in the US and is 14K. I will post a link.

Description of Colored Gold

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a website showing the jewelry made in the Black Hills (of South Dakota). A quick search of the ''net will yield many other such sites. Everyone who makes "Black Hills" gold jewelry makes some in rose gold.

One Website Selling Black Hills Gold Jewelry

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a ring made in the Black Hills. (It is from one of the websites for which a link was provided above.)

blackhillsring.jpg

dobie

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 6:32:40 PM
Author: AGBF
Here is a ring made in the Black Hills. (It is from one of the websites for which a link was provided above.)
Thanks for the links, AGBF. In these forums, some people mentioned that white gold can get yellow over time for some people. Do you know if rose and green gold also do that?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Low Karat gold was always Rose colored - it was the norm until after WW I, when metallurgists trained for war efforts ''invented'' white gold and yellow gold in low Karats (8,9 and 10K).

In Britian and Australia a lot of antique jeees are rose gold and it is very popular still in reproductions like mens fob watch chains which are worn by ladies around the neck now.

One of my jewellers has won many design awards with unrhodium plated white gold and rose gold.

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful ring! amazing original! Do you have more pics of it Gary? or a link?

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 2:21:12 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Oops - here it is - the hourglass ring - 2 diamond culet / points touching to make an hourglass effect
WOWSER!!
6.gif
Do you have any other pics from differant angles?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
As a sidenote:

In 2000, a local chainstore retailer teamed up with a local polytechnic to produce Purple gold.
9.gif

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 6:28:13 AM
Author: tomatoe
As a sidenote:

In 2000, a local chainstore retailer teamed up with a local polytechnic to produce Purple gold.
9.gif
PURPLE GOLD? WHAT''LL THEY THINK OF NEXT???What alloys can they possibly use to get PURPLE?
33.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Taken from here.

Purple Gold

Mr Loh Peng Chum, a lecturer with the School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, discovered a technique of using pressure over a vacuum plasma furnace to produce the world''s first 19K solid purple gold. His technique was to melt gold and eight alloys at between 8,000 and 10,000 °C, suck it into a vacuum and cast it right away.

Purple gold is traditionally known to be porous and brittle but it was Mr Loh who made it malleable enough to be fashioned into rings and pendants. Not only has his formula been patented, an agreement has also been reached with Aspial to market the product globally.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
WOW!!!Now I''m wondering what all colors does gold come in. I knew about the green and the rose, and of course white and yellow, now purple. Anybody know of any other colors? I''m intrigued.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2005 6:50:10 AM
Author: BLINGQUEEN
Now I''m wondering what all colors does gold come in. ..
Gray, orange are shades of the usual, purple looks like the nugget below, there is blue made either through surface treatment or as an alloy (link), chocolate brown is used and made by surface treatment, black can be either the result of surface treatment or an alloy. In an older interview (link) Steven Kretchner hint at one attempt to produce true red color gold - no idea where that attempt ended, but it sounds cool enough
34.gif
This is all I know of...

Purple looks like this... it is relatively brittle, but the problem is getting solved, they say:

purple.jpg

Blue gold

0498pm1.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ana,

You truly *do* seem to know everything! You are amazing!

Deb

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2005 9:17:53 AM
Author: AGBF
Ana, you truly *do* seem to know everything!
Nooooo.... please
17.gif
just have way too much time and a fast internet connection
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results