shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold & Diamond Ice Skate?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as yellow gold looking "costume-y," I have to say here that I think white gold and diamonds on a piece like this could just look like sterling and cz's. YG is harder to mistake for fake, in my opinion.

Hope your nose heals quickly!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a skate mom, I'm always looking for skate themed jewelry! My daughter is a competitive figure skater and I'll watch this thread with interest. She's too young for something expensive but as she continues in the sport, I do want to get her a really nice piece to commemorate an accomplishment.

I'm wondering if you could custom make something that incorporates all of the details you love, for under $1k. I would think you could. Two tone would be gorgeous - white gold, perhaps with rose gold accents like the blade or the laces, maybe with some tiny diamond accents. Oh! White gold boot, rose gold sole/heel and laces, with a white gold blade accented by diamonds? Lol you can see I've been thinking about this for some time. :lol:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jambalaya|1459738930|4015132 said:
luv2sparkle|1459736914|4015124 said:
I think I would rather spend the money on something that is more classic, but if you love it, go for it! If ice skates have special meaning to you I am sure you would enjoy it when you wore it. It is something you would probably only wear for the winter though, is that right?

I really liked the snowflakes that were on the side of the link you posted!

Luv, if you really like the snowflakes, then I think a snowflake you should have.....the sale won't be on forever... :naughty: :naughty:

Ice skates do have a special meaning to me, in that I always wanted to skate but never did. I always thought of an item like this as something a real skater would wear, and probably someone younger too, but for me it could signify that I've always just loved ice skating and that it's an unfulfilled dream. Maybe I can't ever be a skater but I can have a very nice gold and diamond ice skate!

I probably wouldn't wear the ice skate in the height of summer. Not because of style reasons, but probably because I just wouldn't feel like it on a hot day! I can see myself wearing it in late September though, as fall and the hockey season starts, and probably up to the end of April.

Never say never! We have a lot of adult skaters who take lessons and are doing great! We even have senior skaters cruising around, learning the basics, even spins (though they're not jumping lol). I skated as a kid and teen, just recreationally (never had a coach), and love to go and just skate laps - fills me with so much joy. Of course now I have a kid with THREE coaches lol, a psychiatrist would have a field day with me!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ccuheartnurse|1460090745|4016840 said:
What a cute pendant. :)) I like it best in white gold. I found the exact same pendant on Adwar. :D Now you can have a PS vendor make it up for you. :appl:

http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/C11160/view

Judy

Thanks, Judy! Clever find! I went onto the site and it seems they don't take individual commissions. It's probably this company that Allurez uses, I guess!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1460111062|4016885 said:
Jambalaya, sorry you had a stressful evening in the ER and I hope you are feeling much better now! I vote white gold for all the reasons Lady Disdain shared. I just think of ice skates as more cool in the color scheme and white and silver are more classic for ice skating and winter sports in general IMO. You aren't wearing a gold medal on your neck after all but an ice skate. However if you prefer yellow gold and how it looks on your skin tone go for it. You cannot go wrong. Listen to your heart. And you deserve it for sure so get it and enjoy. :appl:

Thanks, MIssy! The antibiotics have just the evening started to take effect and it's a huge relief. Abscesses are so painful. The slightest touch on my nose had me leaping into the air!

Thanks for your input about the color. I was thinking the same thing - winter, ice, white skates, etc.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1460126144|4016940 said:
As far as yellow gold looking "costume-y," I have to say here that I think white gold and diamonds on a piece like this could just look like sterling and cz's. YG is harder to mistake for fake, in my opinion.

Hope your nose heals quickly!

Thanks Monarch! Huge nose relief here tonight!

I see what you mean about the gold color - it's the reason I'm hesitating, but I think I may have found a solution...buy two!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ericad, thank you so much for your wonderful input! I'm sure you'd be able to customize the Allurez ice skate to your specs since it comes in all three metals. But it wouldn't be returnable, and I want that option, so for me that's the allure of the Allurez!

I also wouldn't do custom for this because getting the shape of the boot right is a delicate matter, together with the heel and blade proportions. I think the Allurez one looks a really nice shape.

Thanks for the encouragement about the skating - that's very sweet indeed! I visited an ice rink once and there was an evening club of ice dance couples - all ages, not doing anything fancy, just waltzing on ice but proper edges and footwork, and even just waltzing they looked so lovely. I would love to belong to a club like that.

Sadly, I've never lived within a few hundred miles of a rink. It's just one of those things that doesn't seem to be written in the stars for me!

So you're a skate mom...wow! That's so wonderful! But man, it sounds expensive! Is your daughter going to compete? I think she deserves a gold and diamond ice skate!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to my local jeweler today and ordered a yellow gold ice skate! We had to order it from a book, and the photo was supposed to be life-size, so we went by the image and not measurements as they weren't given. The skate is 3D and weighs 4.6g of 14k, for $250. It seemed somewhere between the usual 10mm size and the Allurez size. I thought it looked a nice size and....if I like it, I might keep the smaller one in the YG and get the Allurez one in white gold! Very bad indeed!

The YG one had the bail attached to the left top corner of the boot (weird) and it's a large bail, which I don't like. If I like the YG skate and want to keep it, I'll probably buy a YG chain and attach it at either side of the ankle.

I also drew the Allurez skate on paper according to its measurements, and it looks big! It's an inch square, really. I guess I'll get both skates and then make a decision. I'm happy with the idea of a smaller skate in yellow gold, which could be worn more for everyday than the larger one. Having the smaller of the two items in YG is less of a risk for me.

I'm almost sure I'm going to order the Allurez skate, and even if I don't keep it, I'll post some pics of it here. It does look lovely in the photos.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jambalaya|1460171832|4017165 said:
Ericad, thank you so much for your wonderful input! I'm sure you'd be able to customize the Allurez ice skate to your specs since it comes in all three metals. But it wouldn't be returnable, and I want that option, so for me that's the allure of the Allurez!

I also wouldn't do custom for this because getting the shape of the boot right is a delicate matter, together with the heel and blade proportions. I think the Allurez one looks a really nice shape.

Thanks for the encouragement about the skating - that's very sweet indeed! I visited an ice rink once and there was an evening club of ice dance couples - all ages, not doing anything fancy, just waltzing on ice but proper edges and footwork, and even just waltzing they looked so lovely. I would love to belong to a club like that.

Sadly, I've never lived within a few hundred miles of a rink. It's just one of those things that doesn't seem to be written in the stars for me!

So you're a skate mom...wow! That's so wonderful! But man, it sounds expensive! Is your daughter going to compete? I think she deserves a gold and diamond ice skate!

Go with the one you love - it's speaking to you for a reason! Oh yes, skating is EXPENSIVE, and only gets more so as the kid gets higher in level. Just my daughter's boots and blades cost $1100/pair and she needs a pair about every 10 months for her growing feet. :o On the plus side, I've gotten really good at bedazzling competition dresses, lol, so I have a fallback career! She competes, has been for a few years now. She's currently landing 3 different doubles (but only one is really solid, the other two are inconsistent), at age 10 (almost 11), and is probably a couple years away from starting her triples. We did recently start her with an ice dance coach who seems to think she's a total prodigy with the rhythm and patterns, so that's something we'll probably explore soon - finding her a partner. The adventures of competitive sports!

Good luck with your pendant, I'm sure you will love it!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1460174899|4017173 said:
Jambalaya|1460171832|4017165 said:

Go with the one you love - it's speaking to you for a reason! Oh yes, skating is EXPENSIVE, and only gets more so as the kid gets higher in level. Just my daughter's boots and blades cost $1100/pair and she needs a pair about every 10 months for her growing feet. :o On the plus side, I've gotten really good at bedazzling competition dresses, lol, so I have a fallback career! She competes, has been for a few years now. She's currently landing 3 different doubles (but only one is really solid, the other two are inconsistent), at age 10 (almost 11), and is probably a couple years away from starting her triples. We did recently start her with an ice dance coach who seems to think she's a total prodigy with the rhythm and patterns, so that's something we'll probably explore soon - finding her a partner. The adventures of competitive sports!

Good luck with your pendant, I'm sure you will love it!

Wow, Erica, I can't wait to see your daughter skating on TV some day! And you are a very devoted skate mom. See, even if I'd lived across the street from an ice rink, my parents wouldn't have done all that you do. To be an ice skater, you have to have parents who are really dedicated to your sports career, and my parents were all about family life and balance. Visiting Great Aunt Hetty on a Sunday would have come well above skating practice, let's put it that way! Sensible, maybe - I see the heartbreak when the skaters train for years and then make one little mistake that results in a fall in competition, and that's it - all that work and no medal. (Not that such practical concerns would have stopped me if I'd had the chance!)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my smaller yellow gold ice skate yesterday. It's gorgeous! I had them take off the huge Eighties bale that was on the top and bought a yellow gold chain which I had attached to either side of the top of the boot, so the skate is part of the necklace's sweep. It's 3D, with a lovely shape to the heel and boot and blade, so you can actually see it's a skate and not just a blob. It's thick and heavy, and the whole thing including $100 for the chain and tax cost $371.

It's not that small either - 16mm long by 13mm tall.

Now, the question is, do I need the large one in white gold and diamonds, too? It's 26mm by 24mm, which sounds huge. It seems silly to buy another skate right now, but there's a sale and they are different - different size and metal, plus diamonds. Hmm... :think:

I'll post some pics in SMTB when I can find my camera- hopefully later today.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read this entire thread in one go. Now I'll have to go to SMTB!

I thought, at first, you were going to be talking about ice skate earrings! I think they would be adorable...although I wouldn't wear them since I haven't ice skated since I was a child and I would feel as if I were engaging in false advertising. (Not that you are, but ice skating is not a dream for me as it is for you.) I would wear earrings that show a theme for something I dream of.

I am really, really glad that you got a yellow gold pendant. I love yellow gold. The idea of a yellow gold ice skate for my charm bracelet did pass through my head (to be discarded on the grounds that it didn't fit with my real loves) as I saw that you had found one.

One day, after I pay for all the renovations on my father's house, maybe I can think of gold again! But on to SMTB!

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wear your skate for a while before deciding if you need another one or not.

Now, I am off to SMTB to see it

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, you are inspiring me to learn to ice skate. We didn't have an ice skating rink in the town I grew up in, and on our farm the only pond large enough to skate on was spring-fed so it never completely froze over. (Once when I was little my dad and I had to go and chop through some of the ice so the animals had more access to the water and my dad fell through--I was so scared although only one of his legs was submerged.) I was also not great at roller skating. Many of my friends who lived in town went to the roller skating rink all the time and they were amazing skaters. I held onto the wall rail 3/4 of the time at birthday parties and by the time I got around enough to let go of the rail the party was usually over. :lol: Then I was involved in other activities and ice skating and skiing facilities were all too far away for me to consider taking lessons.

However! Now we live very close to a skating rink that is used for ice skating and hockey in the winter and roller hockey (no ice) in the spring/summer. They have open-to-the-public skate days on weekends and over school breaks in the winter, and I think next winter will be the year I finally go and try it. So thank you for sharing your skate pendant and for starting this very inspiring thread. I hope you go ice skating someday, too. I am a firm believer that you are never too old to learn something new, even if you do not excel at it. Like many little girls and boys, I grew up watching the Winter Olympics and figure skating competitions on t.v. and I even had a VHS tape of great performances from the likes of Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming. When that business between Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding went down I was flabberghasted and shocked and following Oksana Baiul's story was also kind of a big deal to me at the time--I was in junior high or high school at the time and those women were not much older than me. Crazy times in figure skating!

From a really young age, I took dance lessons. Ballet, tap, and jazz. A few of my classmates and I attended the same dance studio and by 4th grade a couple of them were ready to go en pointe. We saw professional productions of ballets in the city, we pranced around and were probably generally annoying in public before and after dance class, etc. We were really into it. Unfortunately, I was not only on the taller side aka not the petite ballerina type, but I had a wider foot that would not be squeezed into a pointe shoe without significant damage. I had already had two minor surgeries to correct ingrown toenails and my mother said "no way!" to the possibility of pointe shoes. So my dream of being a twirly pink tutu'd ballerina died. I still gaze longingly at paintings of pink satin pointe shoes or photos of little girls' rooms with barre setups on Pinterest... I have a little girl now but I won't be encouraging her towards ballet past a certain time as she seems to be built like her mommy. ;)) We all have dreams that don't come to fruition--I can commiserate with your skating dream.

Bottom line: I am glad you got a symbol of your childhood dream to be an ice skater, and I hope one day you decide to lace on some skates of your own and twirl around on the ice for a bit. :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to post a skate update: I decided not to get the large white-gold and diamond ice skate for the time being. I'm enjoying wearing my small yellow-gold skate. Also, I've recently bought a whole new wardrobe for work, some things for the kitchen, and a bunch of Swarovski jewelry. (I know it's only crystal but I adore their designs and I found a large outlet Swarovski with further discounts plus two free jewelry boxes which I could really do with, so I bought all the designs I love, 15 pieces in all.) Also just bought an 18k gold pendant with green tourmaline and iolite, and a few other items of jewelry like my Birks diamond swallow and Kiki McDonough detachable pearl drops.

I may buy the skate in the future. Allurez makes them to order and I'm sure they will have another sale. But it didn't seem like the right time just now.

I was also toying with the idea of getting further Kiki McDonough pieces but I've decided that, overall, their prices are too high for me. I don't want to pay thousands for semi-precious. I may make an exception and get two more: a pair of their lower-priced diamond halo studs with either peridot or lavender amethyst as center stones and the same in a necklace, but then I'll have seven Kiki pieces (mostly the lower-priced items) and I'll call it a day with that brand. Those pieces that I'll probably get are just under a thousand each, but the other Kiki stuff that I like is two or three times more than that, and for me personally, it's just not worth it for semi-precious. My Swarovski stuff is very similar to the Kiki style, and I'm happy with that substitute.

I have a lot of jewelry and I'd like to cut back, I think. A person could go on forever! There's a rubellite tourmaline pear that I like locally, plus the two Kiki pieces above, and then that's it for me, for quite a while! I might then have a 6-12 month break from buying jewelry and consider the skate again at that time.

Too bad I can't show my Swarovski on here - it's really beautiful. The designs are stunning.

Anyway, I just thought some might be wondering what I'd decided about that lovely large skate. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1462754792|4029110 said:
Anyway, I just thought some might be wondering what I'd decided about that lovely large skate. :wavey:

I appreciate the update, Jambalaya. I hate it when questions are left hanging and I think everyone knows what is happening except me. ;)) Now is there any possibility you will get small gold skate earrings to match your gold skate necklace?

Deb
:saint:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi AGBF, I'd love a pair of gold ice skate earrings but believe me, they don't exist! I did have this wild idea about calling some jewelers in the home town of Torvill and Dean, because that town is an ice skating center in the UK with this huge ice facility and obviously their most famous residents are those two. So I thought the stores in that town might have gold ice-skate studs. But I haven't got round to it, and probably won't. I don't really want to have them custom-made because with an ice boot, the devil is in the details - eyelets, laces, etc - and I don't want to take the risk.

Maybe I'll get round to calling those Nottingham, UK jewelers one day! Equally, there is an ice center in Michigan where Olympic champions train, and I could find out where it is and call jewelers there, too. Just seems that stores in a skating town are more likely to have them. I would love a pair of YG ice boot studs. There are definitely none online though. I'd bet that jewelry stores in Moscow, Russia have ice boot studs since the country has such a strong ice skating tradition, but I'm not going to try there! Guess I could call stores in Canada though.

Right now I'm busy and can't be bothered, but maybe I'll make some of those calls one day!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1462816549|4029364 said:
Hi AGBF, I'd love a pair of gold ice skate earrings but believe me, they don't exist! I did have this wild idea about calling some jewelers in the home town of Torvill and Dean, because that town is an ice skating center in the UK with this huge ice facility and obviously their most famous residents are those two. So I thought the stores in that town might have gold ice-skate studs.

Are you looking only for studs? I just looked and saw a pair of silver skate earrings that are not studs. I always ask people who make silver charms if they will make them in gold for me since I have a gold charm bracelet. Have you tried doing that for silver skating earrings? I don't know if you like these; I know you didn't care for the skating boots that Sharon posted. Nonetheless, if you are open to looking at silver earrings and then inquiring as to whether the manufacturers will make them in gold, your universe will expand. ;))

Deb :wavey:

skaingearrings.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results