shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold Content

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m currently looking for a preowned 18k yellow gold chain, for a pendant. Just a normal chain link, etc.

On EBay, I’ve come across some chains with a California Prop 65 warning (not vendors located in CA).

I looked it up and this could be due to alloy metals like cobalt, nickel, lead, etc. So I was curious.

My questions are: how does a vendor know the alloy enough (to use a Prop 65 Warning)? How do I get a 18k chain that does not have these metals? For example are European chains confirmed to not have harmful metals in the alloy? Would buying new from a reputable source be advisable? Should I stick to Platinum?

Thanks for your input.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of this? I had to look it up - Is it limited just US gold??

I have a lot of 18ct gold jewellery (yellow) & the alloys used to mix here in the UK definitely do not contain lead. I am quite shocked to read that lead can be used in high end, expensive gold :oops2:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's common for gold in the US to be alloyed with nickel, but I've never heard of cobalt or lead being used in gold here. No idea what they do in China or elsewhere.

My understanding is that nickel is not allowed in U.K. gold. I do wish that were true for the USA as well, since nickel sensitivity is so common.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW, we see that Prop 65 warning so much in California that I doubt anyone pays much attention to it, be that good or bad.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's common for gold in the US to be alloyed with nickel, but I've never heard of cobalt or lead being used in gold here. No idea what they do in China or elsewhere.

My understanding is that nickel is not allowed in U.K. gold. I do wish that were true for the USA as well, since nickel sensitivity is so common.

Yes I have a nickel sensitivity, this is good to know about USA gold! Perhaps that’s the reason then. It’s only on a few pieces I’ve seen on EBay.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m actually thinking I will research gold content in Europe and buy from there, on EBay.

I DO know that in the USA there were some allegations about Italian gold having not accurate gold content, this was many years ago. I think EU membership might have changed standards?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of this? I had to look it up - Is it limited just US gold??

I have a lot of 18ct gold jewellery (yellow) & the alloys used to mix here in the UK definitely do not contain lead. I am quite shocked to read that lead can be used in high end, expensive gold :oops2:
Yes, I’m wondering exactly how does a USA dealer know there’s an illicit metal in there? I think UK gold has strict standards, and stamps, but it did not always (I think antique gold from UK might be less reliable for purity eg. before the imposed standards).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I’m wondering exactly how does a USA dealer know there’s an illicit metal in there? I think UK gold has strict standards, and stamps, but it did not always (I think antique gold from UK might be less reliable for purity eg. before the imposed standards).

They may just be throwing the warning there to cover themselves if they can't confirm content for sure, especially if they source their products from China or somewhere else.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a sensitivity to something in my rings. I have to pry them off my fat fingers every once in a while to use my eczema cream. I just figured it is what it is, and never thought about buying from Europe instead. Sometimes I could kick myself! :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results