shape
carat
color
clarity

gold colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I know there is white and rose and yellow... and some whites are whiter than others.... and I know the alloy of my wedding band is 85 years old ad different than most yellow gold out there.... so I am curious why they don''t play with colors more than they do? Maybe do just a very slight rose gold making a kind of blush gold.... or doing a super light yellow.... or mixing yellow and rose and white into a light salmony color - or stuff like that.... why do you only find two or three of the options? Even in the really avant garde stuff you don''t see much experimentation.... is there some structural flaw in these mixes or are people just creatures of habit and don''t want anything different?

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering this myself. I did have our jeweler mention to me that many options were available. I guess it was just one more option I didn''t need to drive myself crazy over, but it is interesting. Are you thinking you would like to do something different with the metals?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
there is a green gold too

jonathan just wrote about the different types of white gold in another thread- that there is nickel white gold and palladium white gold.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 10:35:25 PM
Author: gail013
I was wondering this myself. I did have our jeweler mention to me that many options were available. I guess it was just one more option I didn''t need to drive myself crazy over, but it is interesting. Are you thinking you would like to do something different with the metals?
well, I really want a very very very light yellow gold - I''m going to do white gold, unplated - but it seems that the white golds I find are either very white - don''t need plating OR they''re this weird blotchy yellow and white mix that isn''t... quite right. I don''t want a blotchy ring -but I wanted a very slightly yellow white gold. If I ever get a D strblue I''d love to have it set in a *very* light pink white gold lol Not so deep as rose gold - but just blushy tint. I dunno - I just think SOMEONE out there should be doing it!!!! lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 10:50:07 PM
Author: dtnyc

jonathan just wrote about the different types of white gold in another thread- that there is nickel white gold and palladium white gold.
GREEN gold? anyone have a pic? I do know the nickel vs pall white gold and other formulas but they''re not as drastic.... I wonder if there''s a slightly blue gold? LOL!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are atleast 40 shades of yellow gold available in just 18k and likely double that in 14k because of the percentage of material other than gold is higher.

My favorite is deep yellow 18k and deep yellow 14k.
The American standard 18k has a green tint that I don''t like, I much prefer most 14k alloys to it and the deep and dark yellow 18k alloys.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a list of some of the mixes available:
http://www.gold.org/jewellery/technology/alloys/index.html

My favorites arent on there and I cant find the link at the moment.
The casting company my local guy uses out of Chicago has a lot of options.
If its something they dont have in stock it can cost a small fortune to have it brought in becuse they need to buy around a pound of it to work in the casting machines they use.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add that dark 14k looks a lot like some 18k alloys and deep 18k looks a lot like 22k alloys.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Green gold is basically gold mixed with a fair amount of silver.
It`s not green though.
More of a light yellow colour.But since it has a lot of silver in ,it is fairly soft and rings can look abit scratched and dented after a little while.

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Here in Singapore, you can get purple gold (I don''t like it though) and a friend''s jaw dropped when she saw my ring was yellow (I thought she was talking about the diamond- I was about to slap her)!!! Seems they have forgotten gold really is gold coloured.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 3:03:16 AM
Author: strmrdr
Here is a list of some of the mixes available:
http://www.gold.org/jewellery/technology/alloys/index.html

My favorites arent on there and I cant find the link at the moment.
The casting company my local guy uses out of Chicago has a lot of options.
If its something they dont have in stock it can cost a small fortune to have it brought in becuse they need to buy around a pound of it to work in the casting machines they use.
thanks storm :) that''s pretty cool!! And cheeky - I would love purple gold with purple stones... hehe... for RHR of course! or rubies... hahaha - for my middle finger - be my Royal Bird, so to speak hahahaha ;-)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I mentioned Steven Kretchmer in another thread already today. He developed a castable purple gold (different than the prior gold-aluminum fomula) as well as blue gold; which is actually a result of a patina of a prescribed thickness on the metallic surface. Although the patina isn''t blue the light is changed as it comes off the gold through the patina and appears blue.

Harry Winston 18K blue and yellow gold necklace, sapphires, diamonds and rubies. - Photo from Professional Jeweler.

bluegoldHWnecklace.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yummy that is one sweet necklace.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I assume one of the main reasons people don''t use the other color options much is because sauter doesn''t come in those colors. If you have to repair it, size it, or even just assemble it you''re kinda scr@w@ed.
32.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 4:55:58 PM
Author: IndieJones
I assume one of the main reasons people don''t use the other color options much is because sauter doesn''t come in those colors. If you have to repair it, size it, or even just assemble it you''re kinda scr@w@ed.
32.gif
actualy it does but you need to know what it is and where its from to match it.
Wouldnt be a bad idea to get some of it and save it for future use at the time the ring is produced.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 3:59:43 AM
Author: Londonchris
It`s not green though.
More of a light yellow colour.But since it has a lot of silver in ,it is fairly soft and rings can look abit scratched and dented after a little while.
i saw some green gold at bailey banks and biddle last year. it was really pretty. it was "green metallic looking''. probably not the same as what you are talking about...

it was green like the green leaves in "black hills gold" i have no idea what was in it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra, I recently saw unplated white gold and it was very, very light yellow. So it seems that it is really what you''re wanting. I actually liked it, too.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 2:53:31 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

GREEN gold? anyone have a pic? I do know the nickel vs pall white gold and other formulas but they''re not as drastic.... I wonder if there''s a slightly blue gold? LOL!
Sara, I think if you look at Etienne Peret''s ad banners you will see some beautiful colors, including the green!
30.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 7:51:01 PM
Author: :)

Date: 12/19/2006 2:53:31 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Sara, I think if you look at Etienne Peret''s ad banners you will see some beautiful colors, including the green!
30.gif
yeah I''ve seen those and that''s in part what inspired me to make this... I just wondered why some of the simpler things haven''t been done or aren''t done more frequently.... I mean his colors are VIBRANT and I''m thinking subtle... like white gold that is a tiny bit yellow and a hint of copper in it - like a white gold with a blush - oooh I just think it would be so beautiful! And to me, and my ignorant little head, it seems like it would be as easy (hahaha) as mixing some white gold alloy and a little rose gold alloy... do you have to have an original formula? Sure it would complicate things as not everyone would be the same - which could be good - except for the sauder thing someone mentioned - which would be a royal pain.... I wouldn''t be surprised if the colors become more popular though - having just two main colors (three with rose gold) to choose from seems so boring!! If I had darker skin like my husband I would probably go for the rose gold but I think it would make my white skin too pink.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 5:00:05 PM
Author: ladykemma

It`s not green though.
i saw some green gold at bailey banks and biddle last year. it was really pretty. it was ''green metallic looking''. probably not the same as what you are talking about...

it was green like the green leaves in ''black hills gold'' i have no idea what was in it.

i looked up green gold. London chris -- can you explain to me why when you mix silver and gold you get green? i don''t get it.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 6:58:26 AM

Date: 12/19/2006 5:00:05 PM

It`s not green though.
i saw some green gold at bailey banks and biddle last year. it was really pretty. it was ''green metallic looking''. probably not the same as what you are talking about...

it was green like the green leaves in ''black hills gold'' i have no idea what was in it.

i looked up green gold. London chris -- can you explain to me why when you mix silver and gold you get green? i don''t get it.
"Green" gold is just a name.I don`t get it either
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results