shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold and platinum price decline impact on setting cost

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
With the current decline and flatline in gold and platinum prices from their historical highs, at what point should the savings show up in the custom settings market?

Thanks.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to see the answer to this Q too. So far, I've not seen any. What's interesting is that while spot platinum price is lower than that of gold, some vendors still charge more for their platinum settings vs the gold ones.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Where, oh where are the tradespeople when you need them? :)

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about metal prices, but I was excited and surprised to get a message in my Blue Nile shopping cart that the price of the 2.32 ct diamond I had placed in my cart had been lowered!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding with the handmade settings, the majority of the cost is in the labor. Yes, increases in metals prices gives an excuse to raise setting prices, apparently, but I have yet to notice price declines in settings, especially platinum.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Unless there is a much bigger gap in the price of gold and platinum, platinum settings will be more expensive than gold settings for two reasons:

1) platinum is denser to begin with, so an ounce of platinum doesn't go as far as an ounce of gold
2) 18K gold is 75% pure and platinum is either 90% or 95% pure

So even though platinum is less per pure ounce, you need way more ounces to make a setting in platinum than in gold, so it works out to be more expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results