shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to San Fran in a few days

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

needaring

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This semester just ended and I managed to get a few days off work so we have been planning this trip to San Fran for a few months now. This is our first time there and we will be there for about 4 days. I will probably pop the question this weekend.

I am thinking about the Japanese Tea Gardens or somewhere in GG park. Any suggestions from anyone?

Also, does anyone know of a nice romantic restaurant (not over priced) around Fisherman''s Wharf, where we can go and celebrate after and have a nice dinner?

Thanks all for all your help!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
No suggestions on place to pop the BIG Q,....

Just a WooooHoooo for you, NeedaRing. Followed your quest in the forum. Sooooo glad for you that you got a great diamond working on your tight student budget!!!

Let us all know how it goes, and don't forget the eye candy. We all wanna see the pics!

GOOD LUCK and have a safe trip!
love.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/29/2003 2:21
6.gif
4 PM needaring wrote:

Any suggestions from anyone? (on where to propose in SF?)

Also, does anyone know of a nice romantic restaurant (not over priced) around Fisherman's Wharf, where we can go and celebrate after and have a nice dinner?

Thanks all for all your help!----------------

Two ideas I have on proposing in SF:

1) If you know neither of you is prone to getting seasick, I would emphatically suggest a sunset cruise on the Hawaiian Chieftain. From April through October, they have public sails that are unbeatable. They dock on Marinship Way in Sausalito and cruise on SF Bay from 6-9 p.m. on Wed, Thurs & Fri nights. It's a 103-ft Tall Ship, extremely romantic and fairly intimate as it only holds about 45 passengers at full capacity--the few times I've gone it was more like 30 people. They serve complimentary beer, wine, mimosas, coffee, soda, & tea, and they also put out a snack spread (salsa/chips, salami & cheese, fresh fruit, crackers, etc.) All of this for just $35 per person....you positively cannot go wrong. When they sail, they sail around the outcropping of Sausalito and go under the GG Bridge; then turn around and sail back under the bridge into SF Bay. You'll watch the sunset over the GG Bridge and watch the lights of the city come up and reflect in the water. They even provide blankets/jackets ....snag one at the onset of the trip when they are first offered! Finally, about 1/2 hour before they dock, they serve hot-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies! They have a website at www.hawaiianchieftain.com. They usually aren't fully booked this time of year, so you can call them and arrange reservations over the phone.

If you are staying at a hotel at Fisherman's Wharf, you can actually catch one of the ferries over to Sausalito.

2) Or, if you're not water inclined, I'd really recommend proposing on the grounds of Korbel Champagne Cellars winery in Guerneville (about 90 min north of SF). Their property is breathtakingly beautiful with a gorgeous onsite garden, and they have an extensive deli/snack shop on site. They have in their wine shop chilled bottles of champagne just large enough for 2, and you could suggest to your girl getting one of these bottles and having a small picnic at the tables on the grounds. Surprise her with a proposal during your picnic, and you'll have the bottle of champagne ready to celebrate on hand!

The thing I like about both of these: they are more unique than the standard GGPark, Cliff House.....and both offer more of an intimate setting for proposal. Finally, both would be truly memorable.

Good luck.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Hubby and I got to spend an evening in San Francisco in July of 2001. We rode the trolley and stayed around the wharf area. First off, if you will be in that area at night, dress warmly!

Anyway, here's where I suggest for dinner.
http://www.pier39restaurants.com/neptunes.htm
It's the last restaurant on the pier on the left. Great views and food.

Heather

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Most of the Fisherman's Wharf restaurants are not very good. One nice high end one, though, still on a Pier but not smack at Fisherman's Wharf, is the Waterfront.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Forget Fisherman's Wharf. Try North Beach instead. There are a lot of good little Italian places there that aren't so expensive.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Fisherman's Wharf is too touristy. The restaurants are overpriced, and the food is not very good. I suggest Venticello on Nob Hill . . . a nice romantic restaurant . . . not overpriced, and not a tourist in sight.

paperchase

Rough_Rock
It all depends what you have in mind by celebrating - for example, if she enjoys a classy atmosphere, live entertainment, and dancing... I'd recommend the "conga room" located at the top of the Fairmont Hotel. A couple of fancy contails might set you back $30. Alternatively, for dinner, the Hilton Downtown (financial district.. address is "4 market street" or something like that) has a revolving restaurante at the top so that you get alternating views of the city, the bay, and the various bridges. Dinner for two with wine (when I was there 3 years ago) cost about $120. Look in a Zaggots San Francisco edition for additional food suggestions... its a great food town! Good luck.

rockabuy

Rough_Rock
im also going to sanfran weekend of 5-9 and then i won a trip to hiwaii from work. I was planning on proposing in Hiwaii but the sailing trip sounds interesting and then I can enjoy Hiwaii and not be nervous. Plus im totally stressed about hiding the ring from New York to San francisco and then to Hiwaii. I've heard the wharf is great but I'm not sure if its romantic.

needaring

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys and advice. I know Fisherman's Wharf isnt very Romantic. Our hotel is there though so I was thinking of a nice restaurant nearby.

I am curious, what time does GG park close? Are there any nice restaurants around there?

Thanks again!

needaring

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich!

We have actually been planning this trip for a few months.

I started thinking that since we would be there anyway, why not do it there? What could be more perfect?

Don't have a lot to spend so that is why I am thinking about something quite, secluded, and Romantic.

Anyway, leaving tommorrow and will be back on Monday. Keep those ideas coming. Thanks everyone!

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Oh, you want quiet, secluded AND romantic. OK, not that I should give this away on the internet, but I suppose not that many people will see it or act on it.

Forget San Francisco. If you want to get away from the tourist spots altogether and get to what I think is the MOST romantic, quiet, secluded part of the Bay Area (not to mention among the most beautiful and serene places I've ever been to), do this:

Take the Golden Gate over to Marin and go to Sausalito. From there follow the signs out to Mount Tamalpais and the Pacific Coast. Take Highway 1 to Stinson Beach. It's about an hour north of SF. Some of the most beautiful, pristine and untouched beach in California. There's a beautiful picturesque beach there as well as a couple cozy little restaurants. I can't think of a more romantic place within 60 minutes of San Francisco. I doubt anybody who's been there would disagree.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would agree, stay away from Fishermans Wharf..its SO touristy and very windy right around there anyway. We visit the wharf and piers once a year and each time I'm reminded of why we only go once a year! Brr. Then again I don't like SF 'the city' much anyway!
2.gif
I prefer NYC.

Yes the Wharf restaurants have okay food, but are overpriced. North Beach is GREAT....you can walk around and eat at one of many intimate italian restaurants around there. Another option is one of my favorite restaurants..its not really romantic but the food is great and the atmosphere is amazing...is the Fog City Diner on Embarcadero. You can take a cab to it from the Wharf. It's not a diner as you may think if you are from the East Coast...this is a really cool restaurant that is shaped like a cable car, their food is great.

Our proposal happened at Lapis, which is on Embarcadero as well, I adore this place, its one of my favorites. Very dark and romantic and hip crowd. Food is very good, but its pricey. If they have the chocolate souffle, its a MUST HAVE.

If you have a car or can get access to one, I agree with RBJD...go to Sausalito or Tiburon or one of the small towns such as that or even further like Stinson Beach ...though we really love Sausalito and there are some great restaurants along the water as well.

If you are not sure where to do the proposal yet, I highly recommend the beach area along the Pacific Highway (I think that is what its called), its over near the old Sutro Baths (which I think is near the Cliff House) and there is a great restaurant called the Beach Chalet which we visit after walking along the beach there.

There are TONS of ideas and places around there. Take a cab to a good restaurant after the proposal away from the Wharf. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it'll be fun to get away from the touristy areas of SF and into a more mellow area.

Good luck and congrats!! I am sure whatever you do will be perfect.

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

We got engaged at Mt. Tam!! So pretty. You can almost see the entire bay area from up there. It's so pretty. can be windy at times so dress warm. He proposed at the top of Mt. Tam...There's a tower or look out point up there. You park your car and pay a parking fee and then hike about 10 min to the top. After he proposed we were about to head home but we decided to hike a different trail and see the sunset. It's about a 5 min drive from the top to this spot....There is a tiny trail and a sign that says "no dogs". The trail leads to Stinson Beach but you don't have to go that far. It's sooo pretty. He actually wished he proposed there than at the top.

I agree with everyone about avoiding the wharf. Too touristy and too expensive, oh yeah, too crowded.

GG park closes around 8 or 9pm I think. You can't drive through there on sundays. GG is nice but try to check this out...

There's this really nice place overlooking the GG bridge in the exclusive neighborhood of Sea Cliff (Robin Williams and the Ghetty's live there). There's this place called Land's end. If you're at Ocean Beach, go east on Geary and then left on 32nd. The street will start to bend and become real narrow as you round the curve. When you get to the T intersection, make a left and park the car. You'll see the observation point. I have some pics of the place I'll post later tonight. Great views of the city, GG bridge and marin headlands. Not too crowded either. I guess the tourists don't know this area...Oh yeah they don't because buses and vans are banned from Sea Cliff.

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
If you want to do it at Ocean Beach (my classmate got engaged there), it's right along the Great Highway. It's a real long beach. There's the cliffe house and the sutro baths but it's not that great of a beach. I kinda think it's dirty and smelly sometimes. People have bonfires at night and you see all the burnt logs in the morning.

There's another great place along the highway. It's called fort point....check it out http://www.bahiker.com/sfhikes/funston.html Ft. Funston is real nice. Once I saw whales there!

Here's mt. tam: http://www.bahiker.com/northbayhikes/eastpeak.html

Gosh Muir woods is real nice too:
http://www.bahiker.com/northbayhikes/muirwoodsroad.html

just check out www.bahiker.com....There's a lot of scenic places there that aren't all about hiking. Great pics too.

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Nice restuarants:

Khan Toke Thai house on 25th and Geary is nice. They have a real nice atmosphere but I don't know if you like Thai food.

There's this place near UCSF...it has cajun type of food. It's on irving between 6th and 9th...sorry I don't know for sure. I think it's called the Blue Oyster or something like that. something Oyster. or oyster something.

Or Gordon Bierch on the emcardero. great views of the bay bridge. I just went to dinner there last week. Prices are reasonable and excellent view! I felt like a tourist. I would go there before it gets dark so you can see the bay bridge. I don't know how it looks like when it's dark though. maybe it's prettier.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ocean Beach is the one I was talking about...Great Highway, not Pacific Highway then!!

The beach is a little non-romantic with alot of people around during the day, but the Sutro Baths are REALLY COOL, you can walk down and around the remains and there are alot of other cool areas around there as well. So if you decide to not do the beach thing, that is another option, and also you can do an evening bonfire at the beach along the road, and then walk to Beach Chalet for dinner (yum!). It's right across the beach on a two story building with all glass windows on the 2nd floor, where the restaurant is. The bottom floor is like a little history museum that has information on the Sutro Baths and that area and what it looked like in the early 1900s etc. Kinda cool.

Good luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results