shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to pop the question soon! Which diamond should I get?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Going to pop the question soon! Which diamond should I

Are you getting from GOG? If you are, GOG is authorize dealer of Vatche and mounting their own stone should not come with an additional mounting fee.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Stone-cold11 said:
Are you getting from GOG? If you are, GOG is authorize dealer of Vatche and mounting their own stone should not come with an additional mounting fee.

I was also under the impression that if stone + setting were from the same vendor, there generally wasn't a mounting fee.

It's going to blow her socks off. :love:

Chanash

Rough_Rock

It's through GOG. And there is no mounting fee, they meant to say the setting. :)

Here is the setting: vatche x-prong 18k white gold .38tcw with princess cut diamonds
http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a ... /catid/229

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I think it will be beautiful :) :) :)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Valentine,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Mine between the lines.

ValentinesJewelryDesign said:
Rhino, I agree with you on optics. There is very little point in buying a poorly cut diamond. I just make sure that people understand that a standard cut can still be spectacular. I've shown people designer cuts next to standards and many have initially chosen the designer cut. However, is this due to "light return" or is it simply because it's different?

These are the very questions we seek to answer Valentine. I find direct corellation between what people prefer with optical sciences and use those technologies to find what their eyes prefer.

As you know, you could have 3 AGS 000 stones side by side and for some reason one will stand out more than another.

Absolutely.

I've even had customers view 4 or 5 stones side by side and pick a RBC G SI2 61/61 make over a RBC F SI1 56/60! Why? He simply liked the way it looked more! The papers can say whatever they want, but when it comes to personal preference and style, the way the stone looks to that individual is all that matters.

No disagreement. I have documented diamonds that are equivalent in cut grade and even equivalent in crown/pavilion angles yet have different optics. I observe and document these types of comparisons when opportunity presents itself Valentine.

IN this case, if the customer likes the visual appearance of the designer cut then that should be the one he picks! However, the monkey in this wrench is that whenever the word "value" or "hold it's value" is used, I feel it's the industry's responsibility to make customers aware of the resalability of desinger cuts and brands. Brands and designer cuts only maintain resale value if that particular brand is in demand. The standards will always have demand. Will the designer cuts? How many HOF customers have been disappointed because the value of their stone when they realize that they don't get extra resale "value" because dealers usually only treat it as an ideal cut? The whole thing boils down to what an individuals definition of value is.....is it appearance or is it resale or monetary value retention?

I hear what you're saying but that is not the situation "in this case". Your example with HOF is invalid because it can be easily demonstrated that HOF is not superior to H&A's that we, BGD, etc. carry. Ie. HOF, while a "rare" product is not a unique product. Hearts & Arrows can be gotten on the Internet now though I strongly advocate photographic evidence to back up the claim and this is done by more than a few websites. In this case, we are talking about Solasfera Princess Cuts. There is no standard princess cut that equals it. It is a unique product that exhibits optics that are among the rarest to be found and is demonstrated wtih unique BrillianceScope results, ASET imagery and FireScope/DiamXray results. No cutting facility produces a product like it. Have I seen close? Yes but you're talking 1 out of every 500 princess cuts and still they are not like the same. That is the difference.

Buy back guarantees are great, but isn't that guarantee only good from the place that sold you the stone?

Yep.

Is there any guarantee that they will be in business 10 yrs from now? If not, then the consumer needs to think about the value they'll get from other sources. Again, this is only if resale value is important. I'm 99.9% sure you won't get your original investment back regardless of who you buy from or sell to. Again, the only reason I even brought any of this up is because the customer mentioned value and I have to say what I honestly feel is in a customers best interest. I wish everyone the best!

Value depends on the one purchasing. In my own business when consumers come to sell us their old diamonds you can bet your bottom I look at cut quality. The first questions that enter my mind is
a. How much will I have to invest to bring this diamond to marketable condition?
b. How much weight will this diamond lose after recutting? and
c. What will it be worth after the recutting?

If I don't have to go through these expenses and a diamond is cut beautifully and has great optical properties I pay that much more.

Admittedly many buyers do not even consider these factors as most sell commonly cut standard princess cuts, rounds, cushions, etc. and try to buy it as cheap as humanly possible. When I am laying out my personal capital to invest I consider myself a little more careful than the average buyer. As I mentioned earlier though, if a person wants a standard cut they are much easier to acquire and readily available.

With regards to our personal clients and the guarantee of whether we will be in business etc. I don't think most guys are thinking about how I can get the largest ugliest diamond for the money, but if you had to gamble on a stores policies (any store) would you place your bets on a genuine bricks and mortar store with a strong internet presence who have been around for 30+ years or the faceless websites that come and go with no real store and have little to no policies?

I agree with you though ... a policy is only as good as the place that is offering it. Thanks for your input Valentine and all the best to you.

Kind regards,

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

Please note that branded cuts do NOT hold value longer. You are paying extra for cutting labor and the name, nothing more and nothing less. If you ever went to sell the stone again, you would get an offer based on color, clarity, carat etc....the 4 c's. Unless there is HUGE demand for a particular branded cut the time of sale, then the brand does not hold value. The quality of the cut is more important than the name. Also, those stones are gorgeous when clean but the moment they get oil and soap buildup under the stone the added effect can get lost. At that point, there won't be a huge visual difference between the branded stone and a well cut AGS or GIA standard princess. For your budget, you could get a much better quality center stone for the same price by going with the standard princess and making the design of the ring the thing that makes it "your own". I wish you all the best! :)

Matthew,

With all due respect:

The parallel between a standard princess and Solasfera is more like comparing GIA Fair to GIA Excellent Round. Not like comparing GIA Excellent and to an HOF as you have done.

Also there is usually a big difference between an AGS 000 ideal princess and most GIA princess stones which are not graded by GIA for cut.
Your average standard princess has a flat top, shallow crown and steep pavilion in sharp contrast to AGS ideal 000 or a Solasfera which is not cut to save weight but to achieve optimal light return to the viewer.

Some interesting notes here about AGS ideal princess cuts and yield from the rough which speak at the heart of why "ideal" princess cuts carry a much higher pricetag and value. https://www.pricescope.com/journal/ags_new_cutgrading_princesses_first_experience

Chanash

Rough_Rock

I went ahead and purchased the solasfera and vatche setting. I can't wait until i get it! Sarah at GOG said I should have it in 2 to 3 weeks. I'll be sure to post pictures. Thank you everyone for helping me select a stone! And thank you E B for directing me to it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good luck. :)

E B

Ideal_Rock

Chanash said:
I went ahead and purchased the solasfera and vatche setting. I can't wait until i get it! Sarah at GOG said I should have it in 2 to 3 weeks. I'll be sure to post pictures. Thank you everyone for helping me select a stone! And thank you E B for directing me to it.

You're very welcome, and congratulations! Can't wait to see it! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results