shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to NC and need something to do...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lillers

Rough_Rock
I''m going to Greensboro for business-related reasons, but my SO is coming along for the ride. Its over Valentine''s weekend, so we would like to do something fun. Does anyone from the area have any suggestions? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I am not in the Greensboro area, but I''ll bump this just in case someone is! We''re a couple of hours from there.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
No good suggestions here, sorry
7.gif
I tried asking BF on the theory that South Carolina is basically like North Carolina, but no dice.

So bump!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Located between the mountains of North Carolina and the Atlantic Coast, Greensboro boasts the gently rolling hills of the Piedmont triad area as well as a mild climate and a "village within a city" atmosphere.

Visitors can enjoy area world-class golf, a revitalized turn-of-the-century commercial and industrial district, boutique and antique shops, and a wealth of restaurants. The Barn-Dinner Theatre, reputed to be America''s oldest dinner theatre, draws guests to enjoy theater in the round while feasting on an exceptional meal. From Revolutionary War sites to antebellum plantations and Underground Railroad depots, this city is steeped in history, offering guest a chance to learn about the past.

Step back in time and spend a few hours at the Heritage Center, which chronicles the birthplace of Civil Rights sit-ins, or enjoy a lazy day touring an area plantation such as the Mendenhall Plantation. Whatever your choice--shopping, theater, history--you''re sure to find something in this growing NC city.

I would stop by the hotel concierge and see if any of these interest you and your hubby... the antique shops might be a lot of fun!
35.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lillers! I'm actually in Raleigh/Durham, and went to school in Charlotte so I've been through Greensboro many-a-time.
1.gif
And my brother lives there now. I just thought it was awesome to see NC up on a thread here!!
3.gif

Anyway, I'm assuming you've already got a room, but if not, check out the Grandover Hotel. My dad's stayed there before and said it was a VERY very nice place. I always drove by it and wanted to see more but never did. It just looks so elaborate and fun. I think they also have really nice golf facilities if you guys enjoy that. http://www.grandoverresort.com/

Don't know if you're driving or not, but if you are interested in any home decor shopping, High Point (really close by) is known for its furniture. Actually the whole area is. But there are discount places where you buy really nice furniture for very good prices, and I think they'll ship it home for you. Just a thought.

It'll be too cold, but Emerald Point is in Greensboro - water park... fun.
10.gif

The NC Zoo is 30 minutes away, in Asheboro. FI and I love it there. Granted, it probably pales in comparison to ones like the San Diego Zoo or something, but it's a really easy drive from Greensboro and it's a really fun day spent there. http://www.nczoo.org/

I've never been here but the Barn Theatre seems to get good reviews. I've enjoyed other places like that I've been to. You get dinner then a type of "Broadway" show or something to that effect. Hehe and if you guys like Elvis at all, he'll be there over Valentine's!!
9.gif
http://www.barndinner.com/

Never been to this one, but the Greensboro Symphony would probably be a really romantic place to go. They've got a special concert going on for Valentine's Day. http://www.greensborosymphony.org/

If you like to tour historic homes, this one seems to be a great place to go - it's in Greensboro. http://www.blandwood.org/blandwood.html

Then again, if you REALLY like historic homes and want some AWESOME memories, drive to Asheville (between 2 and 3 hours from Greensboro) and go to the Biltmore Estate. Bring a camera, and make sure you at least have a day to commit to it - it's such an amazing place. You could even go there and stay in a hotel or at the Inn after your trip. Oh, I have so many pictures I can post if you want. It's the largest home (more like a castle!) in America. It's still family owned, and they have something like 8,000 acres... we did a rooftop tour where they take you behind the scenes and show you closed off parts of the house and tell you family history and stuff, then they take you up on the roof for the most AWESOME experience ever. Now, THIS would top my list above all the things I listed above to do with my Significant Other on Valentine's, but I do realize it's also not in Greensboro.
2.gif
http://biltmore.com/

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you want some more info! Hehe anything to advertise my lovely state!
35.gif

ETA: Let me know what you end up deciding - I'm curious what people actually like when they come here!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 10:25:02 AM
Author: tlh
Located between the mountains of North Carolina and the Atlantic Coast, Greensboro boasts the gently rolling hills of the Piedmont triad area as well as a mild climate and a ''village within a city'' atmosphere.

Visitors can enjoy area world-class golf, a revitalized turn-of-the-century commercial and industrial district, boutique and antique shops, and a wealth of restaurants. The Barn-Dinner Theatre, reputed to be America''s oldest dinner theatre, draws guests to enjoy theater in the round while feasting on an exceptional meal. From Revolutionary War sites to antebellum plantations and Underground Railroad depots, this city is steeped in history, offering guest a chance to learn about the past.

Step back in time and spend a few hours at the Heritage Center, which chronicles the birthplace of Civil Rights sit-ins, or enjoy a lazy day touring an area plantation such as the Mendenhall Plantation. Whatever your choice--shopping, theater, history--you''re sure to find something in this growing NC city.

I would stop by the hotel concierge and see if any of these interest you and your hubby... the antique shops might be a lot of fun!
35.gif
Hehe tlh I think I found your source of your very eloquent paragraphs above
3.gif
3.gif
Hehe made me giggle.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been, but far be it from me not to share the lessons of Google!
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I am in the Chapel Hill area... don''t know much about Greensboro, but I will see what I can find
1.gif

I''ll be back!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 11:29:27 AM
9.gif
Isn''t Google great?
10.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 12:11:51 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

Date: 2/4/2009 11:29:27 AM
9.gif
Isn''t Google great?
10.gif
IT IS! and I love helping others. I just liked his waxing on about Greenboro... reminded me of sweet home alabama!
36.gif

Lillers

Rough_Rock
All of that sounds so fun! I''m so excited now! Thanks so much strawberries
1.gif
I will definitely report back, and I would really love to go see the Biltmore. Hopefully we can squeeze that in, since we are only there Fri-Sun.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Biltmore is amazing! They probably have something special going on for v-day.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lillers! I''m so glad you''re excited! I really do think NC has a lot to offer, but hey, I''m baised.
2.gif
I''ll try to post some pictures of Biltmore from when we went when I get home today - it''s so gorgeous. During the day the house has a self-guided tour. You can get a headset with recordings to go along with it, but we just did the tour ourselves. You get a booklet that explains all the rooms and stuff as you walk through the house. It just baffles me that people lived like that, in such GRAND conditions. And the basement has a big exhibit up about how they actually built the house - SO cool. But that''s JUST the house! You can explore the gardens and grounds around the house (on foot - they shuttle you to the house from a satellite parking lot on site). When you get back to your car, you can drive all around the estate - they have a wine cellar that''s really well known and always crowded with people. There''s an Inn you can explore the grounds around and stay in if you want. And there are other stables and different restaurants on the grounds to explore too - and you can drive up to it all.

Haha now that I''ve finished my salesman speech
3.gif
, I''m done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results