shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to Mexico City, anyone have any little hot spots for jewelry?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone! (:

I'm leaving to Mexico City soon as my fiance planned this trip minute by minute for my birthday but has alloted time for gemstone/jewelry buying. Hes a sweet guy.

I'm intending to spend only a couple hundred dollars but wanted to get one nice little sentimental piece, most likely a ring or a nice cabochon/loose stone to set later. Souviners for my child and mother will be easy to find but that one special little deal probably won't.

Does anybody have any suggestions for affordable shops or markets for silver or gold jewelry? I also love used/vintage/antique jewelry so if you have a favorite pawn shop or antique mall do share! I'm thinking about malachite as that gemstone reminds me of Mexico for whatever reason- very Aztec, or a nice fire opal which is their stone.

Also I realize that we may not have many members who are from this city but I thought that it couldnt hurt!

Happy New Year to all!
And happy birthday to any Capricorns like me (: (Jan 3rd)!

Also if someone thinks that this thread would be better in a another forum please let me know! (:

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too sure about malachite in Mexico. Turquoise, mother of pearl and onyx seem to be the most prevalent stones. But the silverwork in Mexico is beautiful. I would concentrate on a beautiful sculpted bracelet or necklace made from sterling silver. Most shops in the Zona Rosa neighborhood are for the tourists but there are a few silver kiosks and antique shops that have beautiful pieces. You just have to wind your way through the antique stores to find older jewelry. There are also some places near the cathedral that have high end shops but you may not get a bargain there. There are two neighborhoods Condesa and Polanco that have high end boutiques that should have more modern and trendy styles. Coyacon is an arts area that may have some shops as well. I always check out the many museum shops for jewelry as the pieces can be unique, copies of the artifacts inside or from local artisans. I picked up a cool abalone and silver fish pendant near the Freda Kahlo Museum in a small souvenir market nearby. Have fun with the search and enjoy Mexico City.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much @lambskin !
It truly looks like a beautiful colorful city and i cannot wait to explore it all.

I will have to check those places out (:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results