shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to London

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 2:42:42 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/22/2007 2:30:56 PM
Author: poptart
Haha, great story Traveling Gal! I''m sorry you had such trouble with the tea! My family is big on the whole tea thing and even though we live in the US, my mom would take me to these little British type tea houses when I was younger for high tea. And every afternoon in the summer my aunt would invite me over for tea... no joke! But there are a whole lot of mechanics involved with drinking high tea, what with the leaves, the strainers, cream and sugar, haha. It sure can be intimidating!

Cinderella: I hope you have fun in England, I don''t have much to offer as I''ve never been there.

*M*
Yes, it sure can to a Korean girl whose experience with tea is pretty much green. Pun intended.
Speaking of tea... did you like the Earl Grey? It''s actually my favorite, with cream and two lumps!

*M*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do love Earl Grey. I have had it here at home. I did actually have tea a couple of times at home, but going by yourself to Browns can be intimidating, and I was playing that up a little in my story. I actually don''t remember what the other choices were that day, but did pick earl grey because it was recognizable and familiar to me. And yes, I love it with cream and sugar!

And I did never bother to find out the difference between afternoon and autumn tea....

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey - sorry for the delayed response but I second what others have said, that you shouldn''t worry at all about going to tea by yourself. I think that the people who served us at St. James were so incredibly polite and courteous that we could have walked in with flourescent pink hair and they wouldn''t have commented at all. I think you should totally do it up and have a tea on your own and enjoy the experience - its tons of fun. Also, if you want another tea that''s a little less costly but still in a gorgeous location and delicious, try the Orangery in Kensington Gardens right near Kensington Palace. Its beautiful and very elegant, and the tea (and lunch) options are lovely.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting more and more excited about my trip, and it's only been 3 days since I booked it! Hehe....I went shopping today for stuff I need and looking for some luggage too. I only have on carry on wheelie, and I'm planning to pack sweaters, coats and jackets, so I don't think it'll work for a full week.

TG, thank you for sharing your story! It was an entertaining and informative read. You're a much better writer than I can ever be, and I'll make sure to wear only breathable fabrics.
2.gif

Larissa, no not forward at all. I really appreciate you making that offer, and I am more than happy to take you up on it, if you're sure that it won't be an inconvenience. Just let me know when and where, and I'll find my way there. I'm always happy to meet new people, especially fellow PSers!

AG, no problem about the delayed response. My trip's not going to be happening until a month and a half, but I just like planning ahead. Especially when I'm super looking forward to it.
9.gif

So now I'm waiting for Macy's to have a luggage sale, because they mark their stuff waaaay down. (Tip for everyone: never shop at Macy's if there's no sale, not if you can help it. In my experience, they have one every other week, and you can save quite a bit of money. Took me several years to figure this out, but finally managed.)

ETA: By the way, what is the difference between autumn and afternoon tea?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 5:45:02 PM
Author: Cinderella
I''m getting more and more excited about my trip, and it''s only been 3 days since I booked it! Hehe....I went shopping today for stuff I need and looking for some luggage too. I only have on carry on wheelie, and I''m planning to pack sweaters, coats and jackets, so I don''t think it''ll work for a full week.

TG, thank you for sharing your story! It was an entertaining and informative read. You''re a much better writer than I can ever be, and I''ll make sure to wear only breathable fabrics.
2.gif

Larissa, no not forward at all. I really appreciate you making that offer, and I am more than happy to take you up on it, if you''re sure that it won''t be an inconvenience. Just let me know when and where, and I''ll find my way there. I''m always happy to meet new people, especially fellow PSers!

AG, no problem about the delayed response. My trip''s not going to be happening until a month and a half, but I just like planning ahead. Especially when I''m super looking forward to it.
9.gif

So now I''m waiting for Macy''s to have a luggage sale, because they mark their stuff waaaay down. (Tip for everyone: never shop at Macy''s if there''s no sale, not if you can help it. In my experience, they have one every other week, and you can save quite a bit of money. Took me several years to figure this out, but finally managed.)

ETA: By the way, what is the difference between autumn and afternoon tea?
I don''t know the difference. All I can find is High Tea vs. Afternoon Tea... I found some recipes online for how to make autumn tea though, as in an actual drink.

*M*

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing I just thought of: what do you wear to tea? I know TG wore slacks and a shirt, but how fancy do you have to be in order to not look out of place? I was thinking something along the lines of slacks, a nice sweater or sleeveless shirt (not a tank or halter top), and some pointy toe boots. Is that too casual? And if I wanted to wear a dress, is it too fancy and out of season?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I always would wear a dress to tea... but that was here in the US. I think a lady can enjoy tea more in a dress, haha. At least, that''s what my aunt would have me believe. Seriously wear something that won''t be too hot because drinking all that tea obviously makes you warmer. I think the slacks and stuff would be fine though... it''s not like it''s REALLY fancy, but it would be fun to be in England drinking tea and kind of be all prettied up while you do it... but maybe that''s just me.

*M*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 11:21:57 PM
Another thing I just thought of: what do you wear to tea? I know TG wore slacks and a shirt, but how fancy do you have to be in order to not look out of place? I was thinking something along the lines of slacks, a nice sweater or sleeveless shirt (not a tank or halter top), and some pointy toe boots. Is that too casual? And if I wanted to wear a dress, is it too fancy and out of season?
I did not feel out of place with the slacks and shirt, but anything conservative and nice would be fine. I chose to wear pants and a shirt because I travel very light and didn't really need a dress for the plans I had - as London was just a few day stopover to my bumming around in Ireland.

ETA Cinderella, I just read your previous post. Thanks for your kind words. Anyway, I wanted to say do yourself a favor and travel light. I only take a carry on when I travel, as it ensures that my luggage will get there. I have gone on a 3 week trip to Australia with just a carry on...and that included my scuba stuff (OK...just goggles, snorkle and a few other odds and ends, but that stuff takes up room!). It got even more silly when I went to Europe for 4 months...all my clothes fit into two 2-gallon ziploc bags....and those were WINTER clothes.

I love the tube in London and use it all the time. I don't know where you are staying but most likely it will be the most cost effective way to get to your lodging. It will be a lot easier if you only have one small bag.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Cinderella - I think TG makes an excellent point about traveling light, but I''m not sure I could get into a carry-on only every time! That''s very impressive TG. Although now that I''m married, my luggage isn''t usually what pushes us over into the having to check things category, its my DH, who starts with a good list of things to bring and then throws in twice as much stuff when its actually time to pack!
6.gif
3.gif

I think that slacks and a nice shirt is fine for a fancy tea. I brought slacks and two skirts when we went and was most comfortable in the slacks for walking around every day and fitting in, but I think for tea you could really go either way. I would definitely stick with the more conservative side of things in general though - I noticed that people in London tended to dress more conservatively (at least non-teenagers) when we were there, i.e. no super-tight, low cut, revealing, etc...types of clothes.

One other advantage of packing light - more space to shop and take stuff back with you
9.gif
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 12:01:38 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Cinderella - I think TG makes an excellent point about traveling light, but I''m not sure I could get into a carry-on only every time! That''s very impressive TG. Although now that I''m married, my luggage isn''t usually what pushes us over into the having to check things category, its my DH, who starts with a good list of things to bring and then throws in twice as much stuff when its actually time to pack!
6.gif
3.gif

I think that slacks and a nice shirt is fine for a fancy tea. I brought slacks and two skirts when we went and was most comfortable in the slacks for walking around every day and fitting in, but I think for tea you could really go either way. I would definitely stick with the more conservative side of things in general though - I noticed that people in London tended to dress more conservatively (at least non-teenagers) when we were there, i.e. no super-tight, low cut, revealing, etc...types of clothes.

One other advantage of packing light - more space to shop and take stuff back with you
9.gif
36.gif
Just throw all the stuff you want to pack on the bed and only take half with you.
1.gif

Even if you take a full size bag with you, just take one, and not the two that the airlines allow. For a week trip, I can''t imagine that it wouldn''t be enough.

If you are inspired to just take a carry on, check with the airline you are flying for their restrictions. US carriers tend to be more generous - for instance when I did that Australia trip, it was on United. No way would I have been able to carry on my bag with Qantas - they weight your bag. I would imagine that U.S./U.K flights are closely monitored due to terrorist threats, so make sure there is nothing in your carry on that you can''t bring (aerosol hairspray, etc). It''s easy to get this kind of stuff in London.

A few other tips for carry on travel...I bring a cheap canvas zip bag that''s pretty big but packs down to nothing. This way if I have gifts/souvenirs, I bring them home in that bag and just check my luggage through at that point (since I don''t care if it gets temporarily lost). Also, bring your toiletries in travel size containers! (lotions/liquids can only be 3oz or so in your bag). It always amazes me the crap that women lug when they travel. Do they really need their ENTIRE makeup case? Just bring 1 or 2 compacts of eyeshadow for goodness sake, not 20!

For a week''s trip in London, I''d just bring 3 pairs of pants (1 of which I wear on the plane, so two go in the bag), 4 tops (3 go in the bag), a jacket, depending on time of year (goes on with me), 2 pairs of shoes (comfy ones worn on the plane- although I also do like bringing a pair of flip flops. They don''t take up much room and are handy) toiletries and hair stuff. I also always take a lint remover.Travel books, camera etc go in a backpack or messenger bag which I also take on the plane. There are other odds and ends I pack...adapters, accessories, etc. Accessories don''t take up much space and can spice up outfits since I don''t bring a ton of clothes. When I went to Ireland (back when they could smoke in pubs), I made sure to bring a travel size febreze with me as well!

Trust me...no one ever comes back from a trip and wishes they had lugged over MORE stuff.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I don''t think I have the discipline to travel light. TG, you amaze me by being able to bring so little with you. I generally like having options, and the only things that would really be taking up room would be my coats and shoes. I''m planning to put that in the suitcase that I''m checking in. I''m not too concerned about lugging around suitcases on the tube because I booked a shuttle to and from the hotel and airport. Plus, I want enough room to bring back some souvenirs, if I can afford them.
2.gif

So I''m thinking 4 pairs of jeans, two pairs of slacks, 4 sweaters, 2 nice tops, assorted undies (TMI, perhaps), socks, travel bottles of my toiletries, believe it or not, my laptop.....oh boy. I have issues when it comes to packing light. I just like having options, you know?

So I''m probably going to buy a 25" suitcase, not too big, not to small, but combined with my carry-on, more than enough space for me to bring the stuff I want and if I pack (somewhat) wisely, I''ll be able to bring back stuff too!

I''m also going to be bringing a messenger bag along with the carry-on, to hold my camera and other essentials that I don''t want to lose, so I think that should be enough space. it''s supposed to be pretty cold this time of year, so the heavy sweaters, coat, gloves, and scarf are probably going to be somewhat essential, along with an umbrella. Oh well. At least I saved money (I hope) by not going during peak season.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Instead of taking an umbrella with you, go to James Smith & Sons when you get there.

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/

It''s on New Oxford Street, not far from Tottenham Court Road tube station.

Best umbrellas in the world. Not too
22.gif
expensive.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 3:37:02 PM
Hmmm...I don''t think I have the discipline to travel light. TG, you amaze me by being able to bring so little with you. I generally like having options, and the only things that would really be taking up room would be my coats and shoes. I''m planning to put that in the suitcase that I''m checking in. I''m not too concerned about lugging around suitcases on the tube because I booked a shuttle to and from the hotel and airport. Plus, I want enough room to bring back some souvenirs, if I can afford them.
2.gif

So I''m thinking 4 pairs of jeans, two pairs of slacks, 4 sweaters, 2 nice tops, assorted undies (TMI, perhaps), socks, travel bottles of my toiletries, believe it or not, my laptop.....oh boy. I have issues when it comes to packing light. I just like having options, you know?

So I''m probably going to buy a 25'' suitcase, not too big, not to small, but combined with my carry-on, more than enough space for me to bring the stuff I want and if I pack (somewhat) wisely, I''ll be able to bring back stuff too!

I''m also going to be bringing a messenger bag along with the carry-on, to hold my camera and other essentials that I don''t want to lose, so I think that should be enough space. it''s supposed to be pretty cold this time of year, so the heavy sweaters, coat, gloves, and scarf are probably going to be somewhat essential, along with an umbrella. Oh well. At least I saved money (I hope) by not going during peak season.
Hehe Cinderella....the most important thing is that you travel how you are comfortable. If that means 20 pairs of jeans, you should go ahead and do it!

BTW, on a few trips, I did bring my laptop. This was back in the day of dial-up, so it was pretty challenging (and expensive). But one of the things I loved doing was writing while I was traveling and so I made the sacrifice. Fortunately, my laptop at the time was a tiny 2lb lavender vaio.

What area are you staying in?

I''ll do the happy weather dance for you. You never know. I have had absurdly fantastic luck with weather when I traveled. When I did London/Ireland back in 2002, they had one of their driest septembers in 100 years. I actually went the first two weeks of October and only saw light drizzle one day. Other days (two whole weeks worth) it was sunny and warm enough just to wear a T-shirt. When I went to Europe from January-May, I was preparing for a very cold winter. I went through countries like Germany, Austria, and the Czech Rep without ever seeing a drop of rain or a dusting of snow the entire winter. Freaky.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 3:01:42 PM

Haha, great story Traveling Gal! I''m sorry you had such trouble with the tea! My family is big on the whole tea thing and even though we live in the US, my mom would take me to these little British type tea houses when I was younger for high tea. And every afternoon in the summer my aunt would invite me over for tea... no joke! But there are a whole lot of mechanics involved with drinking high tea, what with the leaves, the strainers, cream and sugar, haha. It sure can be intimidating!

Cinderella: I hope you have fun in England, I don''t have much to offer as I''ve never been there.

*M*
Yes, it sure can to a Korean girl whose experience with tea is pretty much green. Pun intended.
Speaking of tea... did you like the Earl Grey? It''s actually my favorite, with cream and two lumps!

*M*
Please please tell me that you are not all taking your tea with cream! Ideally Earl Grey should not have any dairy beverage in it at all, but NO tea should be taken with cream, that is generally taken with coffee after dinner. Only milk should be taken with tea.

I can assure you all that most English don''t know London that well and if you can I would urge all of you to travel further North to fabulous cities like York and Durham, all very wonderful and historical and much friendlier in general than London

It is my fervent wish that everyone travelling to my beautiful country finds it to be friendly and hospitable. I certainly found that to be the case whilst living in Michigan. I do adore my beloved Blighty though.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 7:09:47 AM
Author: Samantha Red

Date: 1/22/2007 3:01:42 PM

*M*

*M*
Please please tell me that you are not all taking your tea with cream! Ideally Earl Grey should not have any dairy beverage in it at all, but NO tea should be taken with cream, that is generally taken with coffee after dinner. Only milk should be taken with tea.

I can assure you all that most English don''t know London that well and if you can I would urge all of you to travel further North to fabulous cities like York and Durham, all very wonderful and historical and much friendlier in general than London

It is my fervent wish that everyone travelling to my beautiful country finds it to be friendly and hospitable. I certainly found that to be the case whilst living in Michigan. I do adore my beloved Blighty though.
Don''t worry! It''s milk. It''s ok. Haha. I don''t even have cream in the house because neither of us drink coffee. Cream, milk... it''s all dairy to me!

*M*

Janice61

Rough_Rock
Hello Cinderella,
I''m totally jelly of your trip! I spent a week in London by myself about 10 years ago and loved it! I did not bring any casual clothes except for dress slacks and low heels. I did have a travel outfit that was casual. One day I was standing in front of a shop with a fabulous display of scarves, I was dressed up for high-end shopping but could not afford to actually shop because I spent all my money on the trip. Anyway, here I was drooling over the window when an attractive, obviously well off Italian man came up and asked me if I like the scarves. I said I thought they were beautiful. He offered to buy me one! I got nervous and declined by thanked him anyway. In that moment, I felt so glamourous! I am sure had another agenda in mind, but just to be asked in a gorgeous city by a handsome man was wonderful. All that to say do bring one outfit with you that feels dressed up - you never know where it might lead!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I need to write down all the places and tips on a notebook to bring with me, like where to buy an umbrella (thanks rjdodd!). Not too expensive is good, and it''ll serve a double function by keeping me dry AND acting as a souvenir! The things we do to save money.....

As for weather, TG, sounds like you were incredibly lucky with the weather. Thanks for the dance, because I have the most rotten luck ever. I''ve been rained on at Disneyland two separate times this past year. And it was a light rain either, I''m talking a serious downpour. Ugh.

My hotel is supposedly a five minute walk to Covent Garden, so I''m guessing the Covent Garden area? I don''t know how big the districts are, so I don''t really have any clue.

As for tea taken with cream or milk: being Asian, I''m used to drinking tea straight. No sugar, no dairy. Well, except when I''m drinking tapioca tea, then there''s an exception. Mmmmmm....tapioca tea. Haven''t had one of those for several months and they are SO good.

SamanthaRed, I''ve been noticing little differences in the way Americans and the English use words when I''m reading travel websites. It''s the best thing ever! Almost like learning a new language, but not quite. For example, you used "whilst" and we use "while." I love the use of "whilst," as I thought for the longest time that it was only used in prose and poetry. It''s going to be part of my regular vocab from now on.
1.gif

Janice, how exciting! I can only wish something so fairytale-like could happen to me! A tall, dark and handsome stranger walking up to me and offering to buy me what my heart yearns for. And although he may have had an agenda in mind, it''s still something that rarely happens to anyone. How flattering! And who is that cutie in your avatar?

I think I will bring several dress up outfits for shopping and such. I''m not planning to do much my first day there, just the British Museum and probably a bit of window shopping, so I can wear heels for that and live.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cinderella, out of curiosity, what do you mean by "heels?"

Samantha, lol....like poptart, cream means milk to me. I call anything I put in coffee or tea "cream". That can mean milk or half and half. These days I drink everything straight...coffee or tea.

I also love that TGuy says "whilst". It''s just so cute.

Gotta love a handsome man story. I''ve had a few of those on my travels, and boy can they spice up a day. But what''s even more fun is meeting a neat WOMAN on the trip. As you can imagine, it just happens far less often because men tend to be a bit bolder...

velvetfist

Rough_Rock
Hi! I was just in London (my 1st trip) in December- and here''s what I found:

-Definitely go to the food halls in Harrods- it''s like a Epicurien Disneyland. There are tons of full-service counters where you can happily eat gourmet food by yourself. If you like cheese, there''s a cheese food counter next to the biggest displays of cheeses i''ve ever seen- totally fabulous.

Whatever you do, DO NOT eat the scones in Harrods. They''re HORRID. Bland, and with a raw taste, filled with raisins, and yet served with strawberry jam and clotted cream. Yuck.

-Definitely have Indian food! I found almost any other ethnic food to be better than straight up British food. There''s good dim sum too.

-Also, check out a gastro-pub for dinner. Gordon Ramsey has a really popular one. Not that you''ll be out late, but the pubs close/stop serving food/drinks around 10-11 ish? Just check the times- something about their liquor liscences. I''m so used to eating late in NYC that this surprised me.

-I loved the Victoria and Albert museum, however the Jewel gallery is closed for renovations until 2008 . That was a bummer for me. I contented myself w/ the crown jewels instead. The V & A has everything from international displays to recent fashion- a great mix.

-Notting Hill was great to walk around and browse- lots of boutiques and unique designer jewelry shops.

-If you''re not too scared off by the conversion rate, check out TopShop. It''s a cool Britain-only chain store, like H & M - cute clothes that aren''t too expensive.

The Underground is so nice compared to what we have in NYC. Enjoy your trip!!!
35.gif

Janice61

Rough_Rock
Cinderella, the cutie in my avatar is my miracle baby boy who is seven months old. He was a total surprise and gift given my advanced age and late in life marriage (I''ll be 46 on Friday!)

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, horrid scones. I''ll stay away, thank you for the tip, velvetfist!

TG, by heels, I mean wedges, stilettos, and everything in between. :) The shoes I''m planning to bring are as follows: one pair of Nike sneakers that goes with most of my wardrobe, a pair of comfy 3-inch wedges I just bought (Seychelles make the most comfy shoes, and they''re cute too! LOVE them), and a pair of 3-inch stiletto knee high boots. And they''re knee high for the sake of warmth. Not planning to wear a short skirt or anything. I don''t think I own any short skirts......unless knee lenght counts, and all my knee length skirts are all for work, not that I have a job or anything, but just in case....I''ll stop ranting now.

And Janice, your 7 month old is absolutely adorable! He has cheeks that I want to pinch! Congrats on such a precious gift!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2007 3:13:08 AM

TG, by heels, I mean wedges, stilettos, and everything in between. :) The shoes I''m planning to bring are as follows: one pair of Nike sneakers that goes with most of my wardrobe, a pair of comfy 3-inch wedges I just bought (Seychelles make the most comfy shoes, and they''re cute too! LOVE them), and a pair of 3-inch stiletto knee high boots. And they''re knee high for the sake of warmth. Not planning to wear a short skirt or anything. I don''t think I own any short skirts......unless knee lenght counts, and all my knee length skirts are all for work, not that I have a job or anything, but just in case....I''ll stop ranting now.
23.gif

I believe that is the same look you probably had on your face when you read my dollar licking story on the other thread...
3.gif

I guess you are comfy in heels! Just watch those cobblestone streets with those stilettos OK? I nearly watched a japanese girl fall and kill herself in Rothenburg, Germany. And I wasn''t the only one...a lot of locals were having a chuckle...

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
No TG. The look I had on MY face when I read that dollar licking story was this....drat, they don't make a smiley that's laughing hysterically.
9.gif

I don't plan to wear the stilettos all the time! Only for the afternoon tea and possibly on my first day there, since I don't plan to do much sightseeing other than the British Museum and possibly some window shopping. And maybe if I decide to go bar-hopping or something, if I get brave enough or meet some nice gal who's willing to show me around.

Oh boy, I really don't relish landing flat on my face. Let's hope I don't get that unlucky. *fingers crossed*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2007 3:27:23 AM
No TG. The look I had on MY face when I read that dollar licking story was this....drat, they don't make a smiley that's laughing hysterically.
9.gif

I don't plan to wear the stilettos all the time! Only for the afternoon tea and possibly on my first day there, since I don't plan to do much sightseeing other than the British Museum and possibly some window shopping. And maybe if I decide to go bar-hopping or something, if I get brave enough or meet some nice gal or guy who's willing to show me around.

Oh boy, I really don't relish landing flat on my face. Let's hope I don't get that unlucky. *fingers crossed*
The face you are looking for is probably
9.gif
+
39.gif

You'll be fine. But man do I remember her boots...knee high lavendery/purple suede things. Her arms flailing and ankle contortions...fortunately she didn't eat it, which is why I hope folks were chuckling...otherwise it would have been cruel.

Ugh, off to bed with me!

ETA, btw, don't want you to think that bringing heels is a bad idea...London is obviously a very cosmopolitan city and lots of gals wear stilletos around, I'm sure, and survive! I just couldn't do it...not with just a carry on anyway.
2.gif

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
SamanthaRed, I''ve been noticing little differences in the way Americans and the English use words when I''m reading travel websites. It''s the best thing ever! Almost like learning a new language, but not quite. For example, you used "whilst" and we use "while." I love the use of "whilst," as I thought for the longest time that it was only used in prose and poetry. It''s going to be part of my regular vocab from now on.

Cinderella, this really made me smile. When I lived in the US I often heard the phrase ''separated by a common language'', which was certainly true. I had to leave a fast food restaurant empty handed once because I couldn''t get anyone to understand my request for a banana milkshake. It was very charming that people frequently commented upon my accent.

I hope your trip is absolutely wonderful, Convent Garden is delightful, as are many parts of London. I hope you only have positive experiences, which I am sure you will. You will find that London is very cosmopolitan, with people from all over the world living there. Have a safe and wonderful trip
35.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
If your thinking of taking the train out to bath: you have a look here: train enquires

Also from getting from the airport.. assuming Heathrow - theres the Heathrow Express train, thats a little more expensive than the tube, but less than a taxi. plus its easier getting your luggage on the train, rather than having to drag it around the tube stations.

if Gatwick, then theres train services from there too...normal and express.

cant help with places to go, as my visits to London have been infrequent and short - i prefer the countryside of the North, but have fun :)

if you want to make the trip up to manchester - then i''ll gladly show you round
1.gif
35.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for being selfish, but is bumping my own thread okay?
1.gif

Erm....well, my bf and I decided to break up, so I''m planning to have a blast in London. No holding me back now. I''m planning to get tickets for that controversial role that Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is in called Equus. Has anyone read any previews or anything? I know it hasn''t started yet.

elle

Shiny_Rock
How exciting! Your to-see list is growing!
I''d second the vote for Bath - LOVED it - Austen fan. Yummy hot cross buns fresh from the ovens in the bakeries. We managed to combine it with a trip to Stonehenge as well.
Try to pack light cos you can SHOP there! There''s Top Shop and H&M there - uber cool stuff and quite affordable - so don''t bring too much! I love the undies section at Marks and Spencers - from coy agent provocatuer combos to imho the best strapless bra!
9.gif

Covent garden market on weekends has yummy munchies - love their crepes, cool crap/souvieniers/treasures and interesting street performers.
BEST Cantonese roast duck rice to be found near Queensway tube station (Four Seasons or New Fortune Cookie restaurant) but generally most roast duck rice in Chinatown in London is succulent! iF you want to spurlge - try their lobster noodle - a whole hunk of lobester served on yellow noodles drizzled in yummy ginger brown sauce.
Grab a pub meal - steak and kidney pies and finish off with a spotted dick or treacle pudding!
Have a fun trip!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I missed this thread the first time around...

Cinderella, so sorry to hear about the breakup. *hugs* I know it must be a difficult time. We are all here for you!

I'm so glad to hear you booked a trip to London in March! How exciting! My husband and I went there during our honeymoon in December. We really liked it. However, we were only there for 2 days. But we got to see a lot since we were on a tour. Seeing the Crown Jewels was one of my favorite parts! That 530-carat diamond is amazing!!
30.gif
Oh yeah, be prepared to spend a lot. The exchange rates really suck! So everything costs about twice as much! Looks like you have a lot of really good tips already so I don't have much to add. Have a great trip and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results