shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to Kauai-should I add Maui too?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

My DH, two daughters (they will be 14 and 16) and I will be going to Kauai for nine nights (seven full days) in July. My DH and I love beautiful scenery, hiking and good restaurants (and I like shopping!). Our girls probably only care about being at the beach and shopping. I wonder if I should take some of the days we're going to be on Kauai and stay on Maui. While I don't go on vacation necessarily to shop, I do like poking my head into neat art galleries and unique shops. I don't think the shopping is too great on Kauai. I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of (so I've been told) good restaurants on Kauai. I love to eat yummy food on vacation. We'll be flying from Ohio so two days will already be eaten up traveling and then probably another half day if we decide to fly to Maui. Is it worth it? I doubt we'll be back to Hawaii anytime soon as there are so many other vacation destinations we'd like to explore. So I doubt it would be Kauai now and Maui later. It's probably both now of never. I'm really confused as to what to do.

My DH did make the suggestion of adding one more day's vacation but we have a cat with a heart problem and while we have a great catsitter, I have guilt feelings about leaving so I don't think I want to be away an extra day.

Just stay on Kaui or add Maui? Help! Thanks!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
Maui is DEFINITELY worth it! If you can stay on/near Ka''anapali Beach you''ll have great access to shopping and food at Whaler''s Village and a short ride to Lahaina
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally would just stay only on Kauai but then again Kauai is my favorite of all the islands and stayed 2 1/2 weeks last time we were there. Also, by the time you pack up your luggage, rent a car, check in/out of the hotel you lose time (just my 2 cents). The island has ATV's on Kauai, Horseback riding, the best snorkling, kayaking, a bird sanctuary at the Lighthouse, ziplines, Waimea Canyon, hiking and more that I can't think of right now . Here is My Kauai trip if you want to look. Maui is laid back like Kauai. If your girls are good swimmers then I would do a boat ride like we did. How fun; you all will have a great trip!!!

eta: there is fun shopping in Maui. Kauai does have some fun shops too but not high end ones like Maui.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there definitely is better shopping on Maui, but that''s more in a name-brand-hunting sort of way. For the things you''re talking about, there are quite a few art galleries on Kauai. My ILs have purchased pieces from one of the galleries on the inland side of the street in Hanalei, and always stop at the one in the Coconut Marketplace on the Eastern Shore. Some of the works are those of local artists, but others are from artists around the world.

Dining options abound as well. We''re in Princeville while we''re there, so most of the restaurants I''ve frequented are on the North Shore. The Hanalei Dolphin has great fish; the Hukelai Lanai has decent food in a romantic setting; the view from Bali Hai is lovely, and they have both an open-air bar with music for casual dining as well as a more traditional restaurant where they serves steaks and Lobster. There''s also a pretty good vegan/organic restaurant in Hanalei. The food at the Gaylord Plantation in the south is lovely (just not at the Luau, lol), and there''s an excellent restaurant at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu (though I forget the name). Even if you''re not a fish eater, you really should try the local fish there-- the Opah is mind-blowing.

In a more casual sense, there are tons of options as well. Going to Duke''s (barefoot bar section) is also a tradition, and the one on Kauai serves the *best* battered fish sticks in the world. (Yes, better than McDonnough''s in Galway, Ireland. I''m not huge on fish, but I literally sigh with contentment with every bite for those.) It''s in the Marriott in Lihue. I''m also addicted to Bubba''s Burgers, just be sure to prepare for lines.

Though I like to island hop a bit while I''m there, there definitely is something to be said about staying in one place long enough while in Hawaii to actually... SLOW DOWN. Changing pace is part of the allure of Hawaii, you know? I mean, sure, your teenaged kids love to shop, but certainly they can go ONE week without hitting an Urban Outfitters or American Eagle, especially when they could be spending that time on Kee Beach or at Tunnels...

If you need any tips, feel free to ask!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto on everything that Skippy said. DH and I also love Kauai, it is our favorite Island.

Linda

cara

Ideal_Rock
Add the extra day and go to Maui...

I loved Kauai but it is quiet and quaint and nature filled (though definitely getting less quaint as the building goes on!). You could easily enjoy yourselves there for a week, no problem, but given your stated activity preferences I think you and your family would appreciate the change of scenery to Maui. You can get some more varied shopping in, some nicer restaurants, and its not like Maui is ugly or anything.

The islands really are somewhat different and if you can add the extra day you woln''t be too rushed to enjoy each a bit.

Guilt, well, is 9 days away really that different from 10? Given that you aren''t likely to return to Hawaii anytime soon, isn''t the added guilt of the extra day a little arbitrary? You can get your catsitter a nice Hawaiian present and your cat, well, I''m not sure how to make up an absence to a cat. Cream and tuna fish?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies ringabling, Skippy, fleur-de-lis, LInda and Cara!

Skippy, I checked out your thread on Kauai and saw that you did fine with your catamaran trip. We are planning to take one. I''m a little worried about how my girls will do. You didn''t take any kind of anti-seasickness thing? I also had read on Tripadvisor that the bigger boats are supposed to be less likely to make one feel sick. But yours was smaller? Ziplines look like a lot of fun, but my youngest daughter and I are a bit afraid of heights so I''m not sure how we''d do.

Fleur-de-lis, you''re right I''m not looking for "name brand" shopping. I had to laugh about your Urban Outfitters, American Eagle comment. I remember being in an Abercrombie store with my girls in Chicago even though we have those stores here. You''re right my girls can live without that for a few days. We are staying in a condo in Princeville so I appreciate the restaurant recommendations.

Cara, I''m laughing at the "cream and tunafish" comment. Yes, I know 10 days isn''t that different from nine. My cat needs Aspirin twice a week (and one other med) and he is at risk of blood clots developing and traveling to his back legs. The Asprin is to help prevent that. But I realize something could happen if if I''m not home because I''m down the road as opposed to being in Hawaii.

I''m going to show this thread to my DH so we can talk about this further.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 1:46:22 PM
Author: Cind11
Thanks for all the replies ringabling, Skippy, fleur-de-lis, LInda and Cara!

Skippy, I checked out your thread on Kauai and saw that you did fine with your catamaran trip. We are planning to take one. I'm a little worried about how my girls will do. You didn't take any kind of anti-seasickness thing? I also had read on Tripadvisor that the bigger boats are supposed to be less likely to make one feel sick. But yours was smaller? Ziplines look like a lot of fun, but my youngest daughter and I are a bit afraid of heights so I'm not sure how we'd do.

I'm going to show this thread to my DH so we can talk about this further.
I did take the seasickness medicine; my neighbor is a doctor and recommended Bonine and that worked since I am quite sensitive to seasickness. I was fine; I highly recommend Hanalei Catameran but you need to book a few months in advance since they do smaller groups which is awesome and you get to go into the caves (other company's don't do since the boats are too big)!!! I saw the bigger boats and they really pack them on the bigger boats and they don't depart from Hanalei (just my 2 cents). We stayed up in Princeville area the two times we have been out there and I think it is so beautiful. Bali Hai is great for breakfast and you have great views. In Kapaa I really liked Wahoo's (nice seafood), for the teenagers the Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza is delicious (they have great salads and fresh bread and sandwiches) on your way to the lighthouse in the Kung Loung Center w/nice outside seating. I really liked Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant like Fleur-del-lis and I love Dukes in the (Marriot or Sheraton can't remember which one now), Princeville Resort has some great restaurants too! There is also a Costco where we would pick up salads when we didn't feel like eating out. On the South Shore I loved the like Shrimp Station shack on the way to Waimea, delicous!!! There is a Roy's too on the South Shore. I highly recommend the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook Kauai Revealed; it is sooo helpful with waterfall's to see, activities, etc.

Linda, hehee! I agee w/Fleur del lis on Tunnels and Ke'es.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhhh! Ke''e beach, my favorite. And walk up the trail from the parking lot. (if it not windy or wet)

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Right now, I am leaning toward Keeping our trip Kauai, but my DH now says we should add a day and go to Maui too. I think we should figure it soon though!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I say if you can add a day on ANY island you should go for it :)

I just got back from Maui and the Big Island--I so, so wanted to go to Kauai, but we didn''t have time. I really wish we''d gone since we love to hike and love more remote places.

Maui does have some great food (I know that some don''t like Mama''s Fish House, but it''s the best meal DH and I have ever had) and obviously it has the better shopping. Plus there are some really great things to do--the Luau in Lahaina was great, seeing the sunrise over the valcano was amazing--then biking down was fun. We didn''t spend much time on the beach, but the beaches were great--we stayed on Ka''anapali Beach, but went down to Big Beach for a day.

Still, the the more remote, rugged Big Island was our favorite, but for those who love shopping and good food, Maui is probably the best fit.

(P.S. Skippy--we ate at the restaurant you recommended on the Big Island--I forget the name of it now--and ordered the Ono on the recommedation of our guidebook "Big Island Revealed" and we loved it!! The restaurant was fantastic!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 6:13:46 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Still, the the more remote, rugged Big Island was our favorite, but for those who love shopping and good food, Maui is probably the best fit.

(P.S. Skippy--we ate at the restaurant you recommended on the Big Island--I forget the name of it now--and ordered the Ono on the recommedation of our guidebook 'Big Island Revealed' and we loved it!! The restaurant was fantastic!)
NEL, that is great you liked the restaurant! Now that I am reading that you love the Big Island, I know you will love Kauai!!! heee You should start a thread if you have pics; I would love to see your pictures.
31.gif
3.gif
I loved the inside of the restaurant (gorgeous wood), wonderful food and a nice little relaxing view, nice!!!! Glad it was a great trip!!!

Cind, if it is shopping you want I think you can find the best shopping on Honolulu but that is just my 2cents; Ala Moana is the best shopping center w/every imaginable store there!!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
NewEnglandLady,

I guess adding a day sure couldn''t hurt. (except my poor kitties will think they''ve been abandoned) We went biking down a mountain in CO. last summer and my 15 yr. old daughter completely wiped out.
8.gif
You do make Maui sound appealing.

Skippy,

I do like to shop but it isn''t THE most important part of a vacation for me. Honolulu sounds so commercial to me. I don''t really have the desire to go there. I think Oahu is supposed to have good shopping too. But it doesn''t sound appealing to me either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results