shape
carat
color
clarity

Going on a safari in Africa. What jewelry should I wear, if any?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I'm about to go on a safari in Africa. We'll be staying in lodges in national parks and going on game drives, with a couple of walks/walking safaris. I was going to just wear my (plain platinum) wedding band and plain silver huggies to keep my earlobe piercings open.

But it occurs to me that it would be fun to see what my blue sapphire looks like near the equator. It's 7.4 mm, almost 2 ct, set as a solitaire, no diamonds. I also thought this might be a good chance to reset my eyes by wearing a tiny diamond solitaire--.3 ct--so that when I get home, my 1.65 ct OEC will look gigantic in comparison. (I've found that wearing only small stones for a week or two makes larger stones look gigantic for a week or two afterwards.)

What do you think, PSers? Have you been on safaris? Did you wear jewelry? Will I be offensive or in danger if I wear my blue sapphire solitaire or a little diamond engagement ring?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Woo hoo, lucky you!

I haven't gone on any safaris but in general, in any area with a poverty-stricken population, I go with minimal and plain jewelry, like in your first suggestion. Or colorful, fun jewelry that is obviously not "real." Or at least just keep it out of sight most of the time.

I hope you will be sharing photos of your trip!

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very exciting! When I go on an adventurous vacation I go pretty minimal. Small gold or silver hoops and a simple wedding
band. I dont want to have to keep up with anything expensive, dont want to lose anything expensive, or have anything expensive
stolen.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I travel with minimal jewellery. Costume mostly--I don't want to have to worry about that stuff when you are worrying about passports, documents, Visa's, etc.

cheers--Sharon

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have been to South Africa as well as to Kenya and Tanzania. If you are mainly doing safari and game drives I would think you could wear the sapphire/diamond, but sometimes when you transfer from one place to another you might be in a town or city. I remember being in the car where there are many people trying to sell their wares and they of course are drawn to obvious tourists. Sometimes the safari circuit will include a visit to a local village (like a Masai visit if you are in Kenya for example) or you will be taken to a market. I personally wouldn't want to wear anything flashy in those situations. I never felt unsafe, but it would be weird for me to be wearing flashy jewelry in an environment where people have little to no money.

Depending on time of year, the drives can be dusty and hot and long, so rings would be less comfy. I would stick to the simple minimal stuff. But YMMV.

I am also envious because I absolutely love safari and African animals! I am desperate to go back but will need to wait until my kid is older.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! I'll stick to my wedding band and small silver hoops in my ears. Of course, the camera I'm bringing (borrowed from a friend) cost more than either of the rings I'm considering, and it will mark me out as a tourist--not that anyone would mistake me for anything else. But there's no helping that. I'm very excited for the trip! I've always wanted to see African animals in their homes, especially elephants.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! I'll stick to my wedding band and small silver hoops in my ears. Of course, the camera I'm bringing (borrowed from a friend) cost more than either of the rings I'm considering, and it will mark me out as a tourist--not that anyone would mistake me for anything else. But there's no helping that. I'm very excited for the trip! I've always wanted to see African animals in their homes, especially elephants.

If you're willing, I'd love to see whatever shots of your adventure you feel like sharing! It's going to be an amazing time. So exciting!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to all the sentiments above.

I’ve been on a safari to Kenya and Tanzania; good idea to keep the jewellery minimal. I think you’ve made a good decision. Less stuff to be concerned about, especially with a possible hectic schedule and casual atmosphere.

I just wore a small pair of stainless studs and left them in my ears the whole while. My wedding ring has a small diamond in it, so I left it at home.

i may have brought an obvious costume jewellery necklace. Everyone in my group was on the same page regarding the jewellery that they wore.

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Whilst I completely agree with everyone else regarding wearing minimal jewellery most of the time, I *do* think you can bring a special piece to wear on select occasions.

Many people honeymoon on safari and there are some high end lodges where I would think a little bit of bling for a sunset dinner is fine… if you feel safe enough to bring your sapphire, make sure you have the right insurance for your ring! Specifically that it covers travel in the countries you’re going to.

I went on safari to South Africa and Botswana before I’d acquired much jewellery so probably wore my Tiffany mini bean necklace, some simple freshwater pearl studs and maybe a “fake” wedding band (as you get less unwanted attention that way!). I remember seeing a lady with a small DBTY necklace and it looked ah-mazing against her tanned skin and the sun.

Most of all - enjoy it to the fullest! There’s nothing like being in that environment and witnessing those amazing animals in their natural habitat.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Is it safe to take my wedding band? It's plain platinum and looks like silver--it wouldn't make me a target, would it? I've worn it every day of my life since I got married 20-some years ago. I sure would hate to have it stolen!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a plain band such as you describe would be safe. Same goes for simple earrings.
Just don't take them off and leave them lying around.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
Because of the poverty level in Africa, I agree with other posters and would advise against any visible displays of wealth, including expensive jewellery and handbags.

You could purchase some inexpensive cute and colourful jewellery creations from local artisans, which would help local families and communities.

Your wedding band and and other simple items of jewellery will be fine. Most hotels have small safes in their rooms…..just check all sides and the back of the safe are intact!

Enjoy, I hope you are able to experience The Big 5.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is a no for jewelry. We had a baboon break in and a monkey break in and they stole stuff out of bags. And between the sunblock and bug repellant and dust, I wouldn't have enjoyed having jewelry on top of that.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've always wanted to see African animals in their homes

Amen! DD and I are going next year and I'm so excited! It took some prodding to get her to go. She told me to "just drive down to San Diego and go to the Safari Park!" :roll2:

I've already decided no jewelry. Aside from the risk of losing it, my fingers swell easily and I don't want to be uncomfortable. Plus, I don't want to display my lot in life when there is such poverty.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm about to go on a safari in Africa. We'll be staying in lodges in national parks and going on game drives, with a couple of walks/walking safaris. I was going to just wear my (plain platinum) wedding band and plain silver huggies to keep my earlobe piercings open.

But it occurs to me that it would be fun to see what my blue sapphire looks like near the equator. It's 7.4 mm, almost 2 ct, set as a solitaire, no diamonds. I also thought this might be a good chance to reset my eyes by wearing a tiny diamond solitaire--.3 ct--so that when I get home, my 1.65 ct OEC will look gigantic in comparison. (I've found that wearing only small stones for a week or two makes larger stones look gigantic for a week or two afterwards.)

What do you think, PSers? Have you been on safaris? Did you wear jewelry? Will I be offensive or in danger if I wear my blue sapphire solitaire or a little diamond engagement ring?
Don't wear bling, also don't wear perfume!

hardwear

Rough_Rock
Wear simple jewelry. At the top safari camps/lodges (or 5 star hotels in big cities) you are completely safe!! Especially on safari portion of the trip.
It is the big cities and/or small towns/villages that you have to worry about. Big cities will be your connection points to go to any of the safari camps or further travel, there be wary and wear a belt under shirt for money/belongings and don't wave your phones/gopro /camera equipment around.

Wow! You will have an amazing experience and will remember it forever!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i spent a little bit of time in South Africa back in the 90's in my 20's
granted i dont know what part of Africa you are visiting,
my friend was a mine inspector so i visited a diamond field and also the Vaal reef gold mine which was the deepest gold mine in the world (maybe it still is?)
a safari is a little different, i would be worried about lossing stuff
i had an all too short overnight visit to Krugga national park where under no circumstnaces were we allowed out of a vehical outside of the designated camps

Africa is the home of diamonds
but it is a land of great contrasts and a lot of very poor people, poor like we cant really grasp here in the west

my older South African friends wore a ton of yellow gold jewlery, much more than i had ever seen anyone wearing here in NZ but it seemed the norm, just like security bars on their windows

i would personally wear stuff that you wouldn't be too upset if you lost, or buy something nice and local when you get there to support the economy
i would rather be spending my time looking at the wildlife rather than worrying about jewlery

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the others, don’t wear anything that will attract attention, keep it minimal.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Adding to the chorus that your original thought to wear plainer items is sensible. I was on safari in 2022 with my everyday non-bling hoops, stainless steel watch, and my everyday ring (Cartier Trinity, which is pretty non-descript) and the other women at our accommodations were there with similar basic pieces. The only exception was locally-made jewelry bought as souvenirs - I came home with two lovely strands of clay beads.

Tangentially, pack other valuable items minimally as well. We stayed at tented camps in two locations in Kenya, and I was surprised that there was actually no way to "lock" the doors. And in one location the room safe was actually a truck that secured with a padlock. All the tech (cameras, of course, but also my e-reader) came with us in the Land Rovers every day in my daypack.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take no jewelry but what I was willing to lose. I would not take your platinum WB.

For example I wear Enso bands when I don't want to wear my valuable rings for whatever reason. Hiking, cycling, etc. They are great and comfortable and fit always no matter if my fingers swell. I get a lot of use from them and my dh and I have matching bands too. Many different colors too. They are fun. And a safe bet IMO

ensoringseverywhere.png

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Honesty, I’d do tiny silver studs and a silicone wedding band. Silicone because I imagine it will be HOT and you will swell. You can keep those silicone bands on 24 hours a day and they are comfortable no matter what your fingers do in heat, humidity, etc.

Enso bands are my favorite. I have one from the elements collection and it is great.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I worked in Kenya for a while and went on safari with a friend when we had time off :) I’d probably just wear a wedding band and simple metal studs or hoop earrings. No stones. I bought a lot of pretty beaded and pretty carved wooden jewelry items. I bought some pretty Kazuri beads to support local artisans for example https://kazuri.co.ke/

We stayed in a lodge and did have monkeys get in lol!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot to say: The safari was in Tanzania, so I bought some tanzanite when we stopped at a tourist shopping center. Not jewelry, which was not great quality and hugely overpriced--just a couple tiny crystal shards, one for me and one for my good friend @Circe, as souvenirs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results