shape
carat
color
clarity

Going crazy looking for the right 1.5c diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I''m new to pricescope but have done a lot of research, so I want to thank you all for posting comments and for you guys

who have taken the plunge on an engagement ring and been kind enough to recount the story of how you made the decision you did. I just read the topic "My (Her) Beautiful New 1.27 D/VS2 Strong Blue from GOG" and I wish I could have that type of experience/confidence buying a diamond, but at this point I''m tearing my hair out of frustration from the whole process!

I''ve been to at least 4 B&M stores and been unsuccesful.

In a nutshell : I can''t find the right 1.4 - 1.5 carat round superideal cut diamond anywhere. It seems like all the beautiful ACA H&A or similar type diamonds in my color range (G/H), and clarity range (VS1-VS2) are all 1.2ish carats, and it jumps up to 1.5+ and the prices go out of control.

I am having the cert scanned in on this diamond.... can anyone tell me their thoughts?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=962650

Could anyone be so kind (JulieN?) and give me a little assistance here? I''m looking for a round, G or H color, 1.4-1.5 carat, AGS0/superideal diamond...most preferably of the H&A designation, VS1-VS2 diamond!

I will post pics of course when I''m all through the process -- which seems like so far from now!
15.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is hard to find diamonds around 0.9, 1.4, or 1.9 carat.
Those weights are just under important milestone weights and there is a financial incentive to avoid cutting them.

They get more for them if they can modify how they cut them to squeeze 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 carat out of them.

What I did was pick a vendor and bought a smaller stone than I wanted (but did not set it) but told them I'd like to upgrade when/if a larger one came in before my deadline.
It worked!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey kev
35.gif
welcome to ps!

finding a diamond under 1.5 carat (before that huge price jump!) is really hard to do. cutters are rewarded for hitting those carat marks, so it makes getting those in between sizes a little tougher. if you''re willing to wait awhile, you may find something right in your range though.
2.gif
i have a 7mm diamond and paid half of what it would have cost to get the little extra of .4-.5mm of a 1.5carat. not worth the price jump for me!
have you used the cut quality search http://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx to find some possibilities?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Opening up your color and clarity requirements might help a little.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
um.. i dont know if you looked at GoG, but this one came popping right up...

1.41, G, VS1, AGS000

dont know what your budget is, or how super critical you want to be on the cut.. but it looks pretty darn good.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 6:02:01 PM
Author: avlis

1.41, G, VS1, AGS000

dont know what your budget is, or how super critical you want to be on the cut.. but it looks pretty darn good.
Wow, how could I have missed that? That looks terrific --- and it is a H&A is it not?

Could I ask your opinion as to the actual diamond? the Idealscope looks pretty excellent to me, even the spots prone to leakage seem to be a bit pinkish....

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
It also rates a 1.2 on the HCA.... and its at the top end of the budget but could be done!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
yes it is H&A, girdle enscribed, with AGS report#
i think it look spretty good.. personally, i would like a slightly thinner girdle, slightly larger table, and slightly less deep stone, but everything is so close, this would be worth a good look. i''d call GoG and get some more info on it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2007 6:10:43 PM
Author: kev_800

Wow, how could I have missed that? That looks terrific --- and it is a H&A is it not?

Could I ask your opinion as to the actual diamond? the Idealscope looks pretty excellent to me, even the spots prone to leakage seem to be a bit pinkish....
Looks great.

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
If you like the GOG prospect... you might want to also give WF a call and see what's up with the "Reserved" tag on this one...

AGS-8051404 1.54 ct G VS2 Round Ideal Cut

Negligible price difference and it'll face up bigger, 7.15mm vs 7.45mm.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

1.41, G, VS1, AGS000

That stone would be a knock out.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 6:50:08 PM
Author: Ellen

1.41, G, VS1, AGS000

That stone would be a knock out.
2.gif

oh I agree, looks yummo!!

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your help! I really do like the diamond avlis picked out! Great proportions and I think it would look beautiful in a platinum solitaire setting.

How do you think it compares with this? I know its a bit more clear, which is appealing, but the extra 14 points is nice -- but it only comes down to .3mm difference on the width. I think I''m getting to the point where I''m obsessing.

I saw someone else post some links from the Knox jeweler''s website which has a lot of great looking solitaire settings -- can anyone else suggest one?

I will be sure to post pics if I pull the trigger on that diamond!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 8:06:07 PM
Thanks for your help! I really do like the diamond avlis picked out! Great proportions and I think it would look beautiful in a platinum solitaire setting.

How do you think it compares with this? I know its a bit more clear, which is appealing, but the extra 14 points is nice -- but it only comes down to .3mm difference on the width. I think I''m getting to the point where I''m obsessing.

I saw someone else post some links from the Knox jeweler''s website which has a lot of great looking solitaire settings -- can anyone else suggest one?

I will be sure to post pics if I pull the trigger on that diamond!
To me the JA stone isn''t worth the extra money, the size difference is negligable in my opinion. I''d snap that GOG up, because if you don''t, someone else will.
2.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 6:46:25 AM
Author: Ellen

To me the JA stone isn''t worth the extra money, the size difference is negligable in my opinion. I''d snap that GOG up, because if you don''t, someone else will.
2.gif
I think you''re right Ellen. I did a bbb search for GoG and they have no complaints in 36 months! That is impressive!

When I started looking, my budget was 9k, but I couldn''t find anything I really wanted --- I wouldn''t have felt right spending 9k on a diamond that didn''t meet my expectation. I''ll need to tighten the belt for a few more months for this GoG diamond but I''ll be happier with it in the long run.

Rule of thumb is 2 months salary? Haha this will be like 3 for me....

I will post pictures!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 11:15:02 AM

I think you''re right Ellen. I did a bbb search for GoG and they have no complaints in 36 months! That is impressive!

When I started looking, my budget was 9k, but I couldn''t find anything I really wanted --- I wouldn''t have felt right spending 9k on a diamond that didn''t meet my expectation. I''ll need to tighten the belt for a few more months for this GoG diamond but I''ll be happier with it in the long run.

Rule of thumb is 2 months salary? Haha this will be like 3 for me....

I will post pictures!
Oh, if all that was holding you back was not knowing about them, I can vouch for them, my ring came from there. They are totally trustworthy, and great to work with!

And there really is no rule anymore, it''s just what you can afford. But that stone is great, and will give the definite look of a 1.5. I happen to have a 1.4 myself.

Now get on that phone!
9.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Ellen (and the rest):

I spoke with Tim this afternoon about the diamond, he pulled it and took a closer look at it -- even though it rated a VS1 there were only two feathery inclusions and they were way off to the side near the girdle, which will obviously be able to be covered by a prong.

Tim really knows his stuff and is very enthusiastic about his wares. So I put a hold on the diamond and will arrange for the funds to get transferred! I understand that 1.4x carats are tough to find and they go quickly because they avoid the nasty price jump at 1.5x

Ellen I saw your posting about your setting and it looks like you''ve got a very similar ring indeed! I think its absolutely gorgeous! I will probably get a setting similar to yours... I hope my girlfriend likes it! I will of course post pictures when I receive everything and pick out a setting!

kev
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

kev, don''t worry about those inclusions, unless you or your girl have super human vision, you won''t be able to see them, even with a loupe it may be impossible.
2.gif

I am so glad you got it, you won''t be sorry!

And thank you for the comments on my ring.

We''ll be waiting for pics!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked for months for a stone just like that one! It was very hard finding stones in the 1.4-1.5 range! I also ended up buying from GOG but I had to go over 1.5. They are just excellent and I am 100% pleased with my stone! You made a terrific choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results