shape
carat
color
clarity

Going crazy (ie: should I upgrade or not, change shape or not, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I''ve had my lovely 1.5 ct H/VS2 modern cushion for 1.5 years now, and already the upgrade bug is biting me. Doh!

I started looking at larger (2-3 ct) OEC & OMC rounds, but didn''t like that most available stones are lower in color (J-N or so). Plus, I am really picky about faceting (symmetry) and didn''t like everything I saw.

So then I started researching well-cut modern round brilliants (which is homework I skipped the first time, since I knew I wanted a cushion). I like the symmetry of modern round brilliants that display H&A (I don''t need branded though). I''d probably have it set in a simple platinum solitaire setting, or in a thin bead-set pave halo.

Right now, I''m thinking about ~2.5 ct round brilliant, as low as I/SI. But I''m not sure how to know I would be happy with a round brilliant long-term (I''ve always considered myself a non-round lover). It''s not antique-y at all. Note that I''m likely to trade up several times in my lifetime.

I''m thinking another option for now would to be get my current cushion set with medium-sized sidestones? Maybe that would negate the DSS.

Open to any thoughts or suggestions...

Anne

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
why don''t you go and try on 3 stone settings...they are lovely, but not for everyone...same goes for halos. by trying on different styles and shapes you''ll get a feel for what you really want. a solitare rb is very different from a halo or 3 stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with NYC that the best thing to do is go and try things are in person. Add sidestones might be a great option if you like the 3 stone look and with cushions it''s gorgeous (moremoremore''s ring coming to mind). Changing to a RB will give you a lot more bang for you buck in terms of size and being able to go lower in color but I''d definitely try those on in person in that size to see if it speaks to you. some gals just aren''t for rounds.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about the upgrade bug getting you. Only buy a round if you really love it.

Why not spend time searching for an OEC that has higher color?

Or maybe put your cushion in a halo, if it isn''t already I just can''t remember.

Or try on 3 stone rings and RB rings to see if you like either of them.

All of this will take time but so may finding a RB that meets all of your specs.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I did as suggested and went to try on a few things. (At Birks, the closest thing Canada has to Tiffany''s...they are totally overpriced and snobby, I hate going there. But they are the only place in the city where I could be reasonably sure there would be 2-3 ct stones on the floor for trying...)

Anyways, the assessment is that I prefer solitaires to 3-stones. I tried on rounds only... at first I thought they looked too predictable (for me, I usually prefer squarish shapes). But I did like the size & sparkle.

So, I''m pretty sure I can rule out 3-stone for now. That leaves me deciding if I should:

A. Upgrade at all (I just found out my husband has a degree of emotional attachment to my original stone)
B. If upgrade, then to what shape (I have been considering only rounds, since they appear larger for their size), but maybe another option is just to upgrade to another cushion.

If cushion, I think I''d go more squarish this time. Mine is slightly rectangular, but I really love the look of MMM''s recent stone.

Arg! :)

Anne

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 1:55:31 PM
Author: anne_h
Okay, so I did as suggested and went to try on a few things. (At Birks, the closest thing Canada has to Tiffany''s...they are totally overpriced and snobby, I hate going there. But they are the only place in the city where I could be reasonably sure there would be 2-3 ct stones on the floor for trying...)

Anyways, the assessment is that I prefer solitaires to 3-stones. I tried on rounds only... at first I thought they looked too predictable (for me, I usually prefer squarish shapes). But I did like the size & sparkle.

So, I''m pretty sure I can rule out 3-stone for now. That leaves me deciding if I should:

A. Upgrade at all (I just found out my husband has a degree of emotional attachment to my original stone)
B. If upgrade, then to what shape (I have been considering only rounds, since they appear larger for their size), but maybe another option is just to upgrade to another cushion.

If cushion, I think I''d go more squarish this time. Mine is slightly rectangular, but I really love the look of MMM''s recent stone.

Arg! :)

Anne
There is a T & Co in Toronto and Vancouver. (I assume your not in either of these cities)

If Dh is emotionally attached to your diamond you have now and you would upgrade to another cushion, I would suggest the same thing Stone Hunter said, take your cushion and put a halo around it. It would definitely look stunning plus it may help with the DSS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results