shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG return policies

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
So, as one might discern from my Octavia comparison thread, I ended up purchasing two stones (at different times) from GOG and returning the first one. I spoke to them on Friday about the return and got return instructions and the exact amount they'd deduct for shipping. The person I spoke to said that Registered mail was a fine way to return it. So, I did the whole gummed-tape thing and mailed it back on Sunday (24 days after I purchased it), using Registered Priority** mail.

So, now reading all of the threads about how slow Registered mail (Priority or not) can be, I'm worried that it might not get back to them before the 30 day full-refund return period runs out. I'm hoping that they'll understand considering that I initiated the return request with them and mailed it well within the period, sent it via a method they approved, and it was also postmarked accordingly. But I'm a bit concerned that if it doesn't reach them in time, they might still insist on a lower refund amount.

Does anyone have any experience with this and know if I'll be okay?

Thanks.

** I know people don't see the point in Registered Priority, but in this case I didn't have a choice. The box ended up over 13 ounces and could not go as First Class, so Priority was mandatory.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just call them. I bet they'll consider the return as posted from the date of the post mark.... I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Just give them a call in the morning and tell them your concern.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. It well may get there in 6 days anyway at this time of year. The last items I sent RM arrived in about 2 days.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG are reasonable people. Talk to them. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, just talk to them, you've done everything by the book by sending it out with plenty of time to spare.

Ditto USPS registered being all over the place, time-wise - several months ago a package took over two weeks to get from CA to TX. Just a few weeks ago a package took exactly 48 hours to get from the same place in CA to the same place in TX. So - who knows?!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quote from GOG's website: We give our in store customers 2 weeks full refund or exchange, our Internet customers have 4 weeks.
If you decide you want to return the diamond within the first 30 days, you will receive the purchase price of the diamond only (less shipping fees).

While it does not specify whether it means 30 days out of GOG's hands, or 30 days IN the customer's hands it does state, "If you decide you want to return the diamond within the first 30 day"

Well, you did decide within the 30 days, so I'd guess you are covered, but by all means call them and give them a heads up.
I'd also email them too since that is a nice record of the communication.
But wait, does the 30 days apply to the deciding or the returning?
It could be interpreted either way because of how it is written.

If a customer wanted to be a jerk he could notify GOG of the decision on day 29 but not mail it till day 45 or 100 or day 300,000 and still claim he meets the letter of the law when he finally returns the diamond.

I think GOG should rewrite the policy so it can only be interpreted one way.
Things cannot be too clear, I always say.

I'd write either 30 days out of GOG's possession (in which case it is up to the customer to learn from the USPS that registered can take up to 15 days) or write 30 days in the customer's possession.
Even the way it is written now it is not clear if the 30 day clock starts when GOG mails it (perhaps on Thursday before a 4-day weekend during which there happens to be a 100-year winter storm that closes all east coast airports) or when the customer gets it sometime the following week.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1309260651|2956915 said:
I would just call them. I bet they'll consider the return as posted from the date of the post mark.... I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Just give them a call in the morning and tell them your concern.

ditto. That would be my interpretation as well.

Let us know if you find out....

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure you informed them as to why you bought two asschers to begin with, and I would put very good money down that there will be no issues provided the diamond went back sound.

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
So, I guess I jumped the gun and got excessively nervous. The package was delivered today! I imagine I'll hear from GOG in the next few days about the return.

Sorry for the overreaction.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No issues SF Guy. As a courtesy however, when we do ship more than one diamond and you have them side by side for a few days it is appreciated that you send back the 2nd stone as quickly as possible so we can give others the opportunity for it.

Bottom line is that you are satisfied.

All the best,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results