shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG or WF for 3 ctw ideal diamond studs?

cannuck

Rough_Rock
Hello,
My DH has agreed to buy me diamond studs for my anniversary/birthday/Christmas gift this year. I live in NJ, so I am able to go to many vendors in NY. I am looking for Ideal H SI1 quality between 1.35-1.50 carats each in a martini setting. Should I go in person to GOG or go online to WF without seeing the diamonds in person? Any other other vendors? I purchased a GIA Triple EX 1.74 GSI1 diamond from Mark Turnowski of ERD 14 years ago and was very happy, but I love the selection and technology used by GOG and WF. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: AV_

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always do both. Shop online at WF and then go to GOG in person to compare what they have to the WF stock.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check at both places and see what they have and if either is a better price.

cannuck

Rough_Rock
You could always do both. Shop online at WF and then go to GOG in person to compare what they have to the WF stock.

Thanks, MissGotRocks. I should try both places. For some reason I feel guilty if I get a vendor to work for me, then go somewhere else.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MissGotRocks. I should try both places. For some reason I feel guilty if I get a vendor to work for me, then go somewhere else.

I would try not to feel guilty about that! Let them know up front that you're shopping around and they are one of several places you're checking out. I know it helps me to say that just so I know everyone has their expectations set. Most stores are very understanding of that.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
AV rounds might be fun to inspect.

Q

Queenie60

May I suggest you contact Yekutiel at ID Jewelry as he can find beautiful stones for you. Between GOG and Whiteflash, I would go with Whiteflash.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I highly recommend Whiteflash. I am extremely happy with my 3+tcw earrings from them. I ordered from California. It did take 3 sets, but they made the process very easy as their customer service is incredible. If I selected the right settings, I am sure the first set would have been perfect. I suggest looking at their inventory to see approximately what you want, then email them to see what else they have or may have coming in that are similar. I look forward to seeing your new earrings!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that my diamond stud earrings are also from Whiteflash, and I have upgraded a few times. The reason I highly recommend them is that they have a wide selection of well cut stones and definitely have the most diamonds of the vendors you mentioned. It's much easier to find well matched pairs when a vendor carries a larger quantity of diamonds. GOG doesn't have the selection they used to have, and with Jonathan not there, I can't recommend it any longer.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo the thoughts to shop for the best combo of price & performance.

Also, if you will ever upgrade, the difference in those upgrade policies may come into play as well. Of course, the upgrade policy is only as good as the AVAILABLE stock. Without ample supply, the upgrade policy is worth less, at least IMO.

You have a pretty unique opportunity.

If I was shopping for my wife, I'd be tempted to grab a 1.5ct WF ACA and 1.5ct HPD CBI to compare against a 1.5ct GoG H&A in the flesh and blood. I think all would be excellent choices, but would choose the one that spoke the most to me.

For fair comparison I'd gather stones not only with the same carat weight, color and clarity -- but most importantly with as near identical proportions as possible.

If you do this, be sure to photo/video as much as possible. I know many people here would love to see such a comparison.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I've purchased stud earrings from Whiteflash and upgraded with them. It was a very smooth process with them. I may upgrade again! So definitely consider them.

cannuck

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input! I was leaning towards Whiteflash, so the replies were so helpful. Donnabrsd, diamondseeker2006, and hypermom, I’m glad you’ve had positive experiences with Whiteflash. Did they ship the diamonds to you to look at, or just send the photos? Sorry for the silly question, but I’m a little nervous purchasing something without seeing it in person. I guess I’m more concerned about seeing any inclusions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the input! I was leaning towards Whiteflash, so the replies were so helpful. Donnabrsd, diamondseeker2006, and hypermom, I’m glad you’ve had positive experiences with Whiteflash. Did they ship the diamonds to you to look at, or just send the photos? Sorry for the silly question, but I’m a little nervous purchasing something without seeing it in person. I guess I’m more concerned about seeing any inclusions.

Basically, you just order them and if you don't like them, you can return or exchange. Photos and light return images are on their site, so you can see if there are visible inclusions, plus the listing online tells you if the stones are eyeclean. I have ordered earrings there about 4 times (upgrades) and never had a single issue. I do usually get VS2 so I don't have to worry about inclusions, but many people like the value of eyeclean SI1s.

If you'd like us to help you match a pair, I know I and others would be most happy to help you!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock

I looked at the photos, videos and certificate to find what I liked. Then, ordered and paid for the earrings. After I had them for a few days and found they were not for me, I requested an exchange and sent them back. Whiteflash exchanged them for another pair and mailed me a refund check for the difference. Then, I exchanged them one more time and received the pair I currently wear every day. Look forward to seeing what you get.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking at several stones, you can contact WF and have them pull all the stones and do a review on your behalf prior to just having them shipped.

Additionally, you can request additional photos and videos to help you get the warm fuzzies.

Obviously you can return and exchange if you want, but I think it's in everyone's interest to try and get it right before they ship. Saves time and frustration.

Just talk with them, and you will see they are very accommodating and truly focused on customer service.

cannuck

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results