shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG Diamond Thoughts

atl3131

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

So the folks over at GOG sent me over a video of three cushions they picked out for me. I have already eliminated the one on the left as I don't like the look of it but am having a hard time deciding between the middle one and the one on the right. The one in the middle is $1400 cheaper than the one on the right but I am willing to spend the extra if it means a better stone. I would really appreciate any thoughts or opinons.

Video of diamonds loose: http://vimeo.com/22364137

Video of diamonds in halo setting (first one is the middle stone from the previous video): http://vimeo.com/22621664

Thanks for all the help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be in the minority. But I like the third one in the first video the best. Far right.

Incidentally... I really um, dislike that particular halo. It's very crusted.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
for me, the one on the right is the clear winner

atl3131

Rough_Rock
Actually did not pick out that halo, they just set the diamonds in it so I could get an idea of what they would look like in a halo. Thanks for the help, keep the opinions coming.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Number 3 is my favorite cut by far. I like the pattern and broad flashes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One on the right, and it's not close :sun:

And I don't like that halo either.. but the cushion looks nice beside pave in the video anyway, which it sounds like was the point of that exercise :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too like the one on the far right - ouch goes the wallet!

I prefer a more defined halo - the one shown just blends in with the stone.

Are you wanting to set the stone in a halo setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Far right would be my choice...dont like that halo either just in case you were thinkin about it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another strong vote for the one on the right! It is worth $1400 more as far as I am concerned. It has chunkier facets and it clearly looks larger than the one in the middle. I also like the shape better. That size cushion is perfect for a halo!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I like the one on the far right best- by leaps and bounds. But I like the broad/chunky facets (thus broad flashes) best. YUM! :love:

Have you considered going down in color/clarity? There's a really pretty 1.03ct H SI1 AVC and a 1.11ct I VS1 AVC on their site that'd probably be quite a bit less $ than the E VVS2. Not that there's anything wrong with E/VVS2!!! :)

KixRules

Rough_Rock
One on the right and it is not even close...did you see those facets light up??? WOW...And i may be in the minority here, but i really do not like the Halo settings that is the trend now. But to each his own. Anyway, the stone on the right is money! Go with that one!

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
Third one- hands down, for the goal, by a mile, leaps and bounds...

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
I have to agree. I watched the video and thought the right one was a clear winner.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree that for me the one on the right is really beautiful and the one I would choose. Best of luck ! :)

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
hands down the right one for me too.

atl3131

Rough_Rock
Yeah I was thinkin the one on the right myself but wanted to get some other opinons, please feel free to keep them coming. As far as the halo setting goes, I like them but more importantly the girlfriend really loves cushions in halo settings, hence the decision.

Thanks All

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I like halo settings but am not crazy about the one in the video. GOG has several nice options though!

atl3131

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any suggestions on whether it is better to buy the diamond and setting from the same place? I know many places will charge a fee to set your stone if you didn't buy it from them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is almost always better to buy the setting from the stone vendor unless you want a custom setting from someone like Steven Kirsch, Leon, etc. But those are going to be $5000 and up for a halo, usually. So if you want one less than that, I'd ask GOG about the Vatche Grace (or is it Princess Grace ?) or the Ritani. I am sure they have other non-branded ones as well.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
The one on the right is the clear winner (no contest) for me out of the three. Not keen on the halo ring. If it were me I'd like to get an idea how the one of the right performs in comparison with an AVC before I made a final choice. Good luck.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the far-right camp as well. Gorgeous stone! :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think the OP is looking for a more modern cushion (hence the lack of AVCs). GOG has a setting called the 'perfect halo' or something similar which might be appropriate, I would ask about that one for sure

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results