shape
carat
color
clarity

glitter or slices of light?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fishter

Rough_Rock
i'm deciding between two different looking marquise diamonds. one has a very fine glitter at its ends with slices of light in the center. the other has much more uniform geometrical slices and shapes of light throughout. they both reflect a lot of light, but which is more desirable in a cut?

Thanks!
fishter

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could easily get opinions either way. They are only opinions.

If you could, post a photo of each in similar or identical lighting. The, maybe, we could suggest.

fishter

Rough_Rock
Here are the best pics I could get. The one on the left is more uniform but not as reflictive. The one on the right is actually bigger but sparkles on both ends. The middle has nice slices of light but it looks a bit akward and unorganized. Hope they help.

Thanks for your opinion!
fishter

temp.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Too tough to tell from the photos. The one of the left looks a little "brighter", but that could just be the lighting.

You really should buy one of Garry's IdealScopes. It will get to you within a week, and eliminate all the guesswork when comparing diamonds.

You can read about it on the menu at the top of your screen.

Rich, Independent GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

sam71

Rough_Rock
That's interesting Fishter, I just recently bought a Marquis and with naked eye I get two solid dark triangles in bowtie area and glitter throughout the diamond. I was wondering about it but my girlfriend loves it so I am trying not to get too crazy. I think I like the slices of light that you are seeing, I am not sure but it may have to do with the table size, I have seen a couple Marquis' since my purchase with that pattern of slices and they were both wider and had larger tables than mine. Out of curiosity, what are the specs of your stone?

If anyone is interested mine are as follows:

Marquis
10.02x5.47x3.41
D
VS1
62.3% depth
54% table
Polish VG
Symmetry GD
Thin to slightly thick faceted
no cutlet
no flourescense

fishter

Rough_Rock
Hi Sam71,

Thanks for the reply! Some advice I've been hearing: if you're happy with the rock and she's happy with the rock, that's all that matters. Heck, the day after I bought my ring, I found a better deal. There's always a better deal and you'll drive yourself crazy comparing.

Here are the parameters on mine:
Marquis
Carat weight: 0.55
Cut: Very Good
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 58.7%
Table %: 61%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.34x4.53x2.66 mm

And the biggie ... cost: $1952.00 + setting. I got it from Blue Nile and couldn't be happier. They have awesome service! This the diamond on the left from the picture above. The other diamond was much more expensive and, although it glittered more, it didn't seem to reflect the quantity of light that this one does. I guess marquis diamonds are all different so it's sort of personal preferance unless you're an expert. Well, good luck to you and your girl.

fishter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results