shape
carat
color
clarity

Given what you know about Dan''s pics, what do you think about this tourmaline?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Obviously, I''d expect it to be darker IRL, but I wonder how much so?

DS 7.12 PTourmaline.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
since I don't have any of his stones, just from the ones everyone else have, I think his pictures don't do his stones IRL justice... Are you thinking of getting it? it looks beautifully cut.. is it portuguese?? Someday I would love to get one of those cut. That looks like it would be such a beautiful shade IRL.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 7:35:35 PM
Author: D&T
since I don''t have any of his stones, just from the ones everyone else have, I think his pictures don''t do his stones IRL justice... Are you thinking of getting it? it looks beautifully cut.. is it portuguese?? Someday I would love to get one of those cut. That looks like it would be such a beautiful shade IRL.
Yes, it''s a Portuguese brilliant. The cut looks fabulous - no hesitations about that. A lot of PSers have been disappointed by how dark his stones are IRL, compared to his pics. And yes, I guess I am mulling it over. It''s slightly smaller than I had hoped for, though.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it has potential, even if it is darker.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And is it just me, or is it a sloooooow night on PS?
24.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 7:48:20 PM
Author: cellentani
And is it just me, or is it a sloooooow night on PS?
24.gif

I don''t know where everyone is...definitely sloooooowww......

I think the stone is going to be a bit darker but the pretty facets will probably show well..JMHO... I wonder if it''s going to be that "candy" pink?? I love that color..
30.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
If you look at the later pics in the picture thread, his recent pictures have been much closer. Someone talked to him about it and he changed some settings. The most recent very close one was someone''s blue-green stone, a present for her mom.

Just ask him how close the pic is to the actual stone.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely ask him if his view of the stone is represented by the picture. Every blue spinel I have from him is much darker than the pic shows, but that was before he changed his photography up.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great cut and pretty color! What size is it?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 7:54:02 PM
Author: karee888
If you look at the later pics in the picture thread, his recent pictures have been much closer. Someone talked to him about it and he changed some settings. The most recent very close one was someone''s blue-green stone, a present for her mom.

Yeah, I''ve been trolling through that thread. I did ask him if he had any other pics - just haven''t heard back from him yet. I guess it is Saturday night.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 7:57:21 PM
Author: packrat
Great cut and pretty color! What size is it?
It''s 1.27cts, 7.12mm.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Based on the one I picked up and returned, I found the colour in normal lighting was about the darkest colour in the picture. So you''re probably looking at a stone that''s at the colour of about 6 o''clock, near the centre of the stone.

That''d be my guess, anyway.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From reviewing people's gems from him, and the newer pictures, I think his pictures are more accurate now. The rough on that stone was very bright. My only issue would be to ask him if it's treated, if that matters to you. Pink tourmaline is sometimes heated. The one stone I purchased looked exactly like the picture. I would also ask him how it looks in various lighting if strong color shifting matters to you.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Just heard back from Dan that he''s not doing additional photos anymore, and has posted a statement to that effect on his homepage. He did say there was minimal color shift towards a slight peachy or goldish pink under incandescent light, but no ugly brownish tones; and that it was more color stable than most.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wow the rough was over 8ct and the finish product is just over 1cts. The gem looks really nice and the cutting appeals to me more than most of the other stones on his website. Hope it''s as great in real life.
12.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 9:44:07 PM
Author: Lovinggems
Wow the rough was over 8ct and the finish product is just over 1cts. The gem looks really nice and the cutting appeals to me more than most of the other stones on his website. Hope it''s as great in real life.
12.gif
Yes, I was surprised about this too. Even Dan mentioned that it turned out smaller than he''d hoped. I''m still waffling about getting this one. My DH likes the cut, but I''ve already got 2 pink stones and an umbalite on the way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t know Dan ever took additional photographs. Per the vendor and buyer picture thread, the colour looks to be accurate but the tone ends up being slightly darker.

Sometimes, bad events happen while cutting the rough and the final yield ends up smaller than expected: inclusion found only upon cutting that has to be removed, stress fracture that keeps growing and more.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 10:08:59 PM

Date: 6/6/2009 9:44:07 PM
Author: Lovinggems
12.gif
Yes, I was surprised about this too. Even Dan mentioned that it turned out smaller than he''d hoped. I''m still waffling about getting this one. My DH likes the cut, but I''ve already got 2 pink stones and an umbalite on the way.
I can relate to the too many pink stones comment.
11.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 7:54:02 PM
Author: karee888

His more recent picture have indeed been much closer. A few months ago I returned a blue/green tourmaline because it was darker IRL than in his pictures. When he re-posted the stone, it was much closer to what I recalled of the real stone. You can also see the better representation in the recent entries on the "photos" thread.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Say no! Don''t get it! I''m only saying that because I''m second in line in the queue

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 3:51:01 AM
Author: SapphireLover
Say no! Don''t get it! I''m only saying that because I''m second in line in the queue

Awww, sorry SapphireLover. Dan did say a few people had asked about this one.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:25:05 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
What have you decided?

Well, I went to bed last night thinking I''d pass on this one, since I already have a stone from Gene and a customized LOGR setting coming this week. Then I woke up this morning and decided I''d get it after all - I thought I''d regret it otherwise. SapphireLover is fully entitled to give me angry-faced or pouty emoticons.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:16:09 PM
Date: 6/7/2009 4:25:05 PM

What have you decided?

Well, I went to bed last night thinking I''d pass on this one, since I already have a stone from Gene and a customized LOGR setting coming this week. Then I woke up this morning and decided I''d get it after all - I thought I''d regret it otherwise. SapphireLover is fully entitled to give me angry-faced or pouty emoticons.

No, all is fair in love and gem shopping! As they say in school playgrounds "finders keepers- losers weepers". I don''t mind- I didn''t know much about the stone and needed more info about the specs in any case!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sapphire - very gracious of you. Funny thing is, I''d forgotten I''d even emailed Dan. I happened to see the size of the rough when he first posted it, and thought maybe he''d get a cushion or barion square out of it - I love those shapes. I''ll try to get some pics when it arrives.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
congrats, cellentani! hope you love it (post photos!)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely. Cellentani I hope you get it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think it is a very pretty stone, I hope it is just as pretty in person.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 7:51:30 PM
Well, I think it is a very pretty stone, I hope it is just as pretty in person.

Thanks - it''s getting mailed to me tomorrow!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious: is this one unheated?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results