shape
carat
color
clarity

Given a 18k white gold ring instead of a Platinum ring..(need help)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

houkin

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am in need of some expert opinion. I recently tried to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend, but when I received it - I realized that the seller gave me a 18k white gold ring instead. (mainly because it started to tarnish !
So, I wrote to the seller, and he said he made the mistake. But I had paid for the price of the platinum ring setting, so I demanded a partial refund..

How do I know if he is fair with the amount refunded. I have been trying to check price difference between the 2 types of precious metal.

The seller gave me this guideline scale:
18k is $7.85

PLAT 900 $15.91 PER GRAM

TAKE THE GRAMS OF THE RING TIMES $8.01 PER GRAM THAT IS THE PRICE

Does this look right ? The ring's setting is a 3 princess cut with 2 x 0.20ct (on the side), and one 0.30ct center piece..
I know the workmanship is where the cost is, but this is the most that the seller offered..

Pls. someone help me. Thanks. E-mail me directly [email protected]

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It is not just a cost of a metal and a work. Retail price of platinum settings is usually 2x of 18K gold settings.

Normally, Internet vendors have 100% money back policy if they make a mistake. I think you can demand to reset the stones into platinum for the vendor's expense.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How much did he charge you for the platinum setting and what was it to weigh?

So in round numbers is he telling you he would sell you a 10 gram ring in platinum for about $160.00?

FYI: If I were you, I would get him to make it over again in platinum, it was *his mistake*. The 18 karat is nice, but the platinum is much better for the years to come. Don't let him give you a few dollars and you not have what you wanted.

houkin

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I purchased the ring from eBay.com - but this seller lists, and sells hundreds of rings each day. I only chose the most nicest diamond ring I could find and afford.

(If permitted, I would like to ask for permission to post the auction link of the diamond ring bought).

Apparently I am having more problems with the actual ring now. I brought the ring to a jeweller for estimated valuation - and was told that not only was the ring 18K white gold (instead of platinum). The size of the diamonds are not as stated..

Instead of 0.70ctw total (i.e. 0.30ct center, 0.20ct, 0.20ct both sides) - past/present/future ring... - this ring was only 0.50ctw total !
The jeweller told me that this ring was more likely only 0.20ct center, and only 0.15ct, 0.15ct on the sides !

I have tried to contact this seller to inform him of his "extreme mistake", but is yet to hear from him..

Pls. help or advise me on the best thing to do. I'm afraid that the seller won't honor his responsibilities..

Thanks !

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Why don't you contact E-bay.
Tell them that one of there sellers misrepresented his product.
Demand a full refund.

houkin

Rough_Rock
Paid alot for shipping via FedEx internationally, and I don't think the seller is willing to refund that portion of it. (which also includes tax & duties). $$$

My fiancee actually quite liked the ring, and would have been perfect if was exactly as described.. Because of the amount of effort already put in to getting this ring all the way from USA to Australia, I would really want to get something out of all this mess !

I guess I am hoping that the seller will do the right thing, and either try to get me the identical ring as previously specified on auction. Or at least have the courtesy to refund me XX amount of money to compensate for the price difference of the 2.

The seller just replied today, asking what amount of $ would make me happy - but I don't really know prices. That's why I have sought help/advise from PriceScope.com

Pls. anyone who know the current diamond market esp. on 2nd hand diamond rings, pls. help me. Thanks.. Would really appreciate it.

E-mail me directly on [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results