shape
carat
color
clarity

Give me some emerald education, please

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Hiiiii so I bought a very very inexpensive emerald recently to play around with. I don’t know much about emeralds—I have tiny pair of studs from Lucy’s in Cartagena but that’s it.

The stone I bought is very light in color and definitely has some windowing going on. The color looks a little different depending on the lighting (as I’ve read happens?) and I can’t quite get the picture right (also happens.) It’s pretty, and I like it, but doesn’t really say “emerald” to me. When I bought it I was thinking of a three stone or toi et moi ring.

Anyway, I found a video of an emerald that seems pretty similar to me, but costs wayyyy more. I would love it if the PS family would explain the differences between the two stones, and school me a bit on emeralds. My stone is 2.21 carats.

I did what I could with the video so also let me know if you’d need additional shots. Thank you all!

Comparison stone: https://jrcolombianemeralds.com/pro...ing-green-loose-colombian-emerald-emerald-cut

Please bear with me I’m trying to get the video I took up.

Last edited:

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Pic from the I&R website
IMG_0948.png.jpeg

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
What is this little rainbow thing in there? Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.27.34 AM.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rainbow is probably diffraction caused by filler. It’s common to see in emeralds, especially lighter ones.

JR Columbia’s emerald pricing has gone through the roof the last few years (like most everything), so I’m glad you didn’t overpay for your stone.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
The rainbow is probably diffraction caused by filler. It’s common to see in emeralds, especially lighter ones.

JR Columbia’s emerald pricing has gone through the roof the last few years (like most everything), so I’m glad you didn’t overpay for your stone.

Thanks! I know it is not a high quality stone--I'm just really shocked by the price difference, it is around 10x more.

Reactions: T L

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Almost always when you see that rainbow in a stone, it's caused by an inclusion where there is actual separation on the inclusion, one side from the other. You see this effect in pretty much any type of gemstone, not just emerald, but often in aquamarine, quartz, garnets.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Almost always when you see that rainbow in a stone, it's caused by an inclusion where there is actual separation on the inclusion, one side from the other. You see this effect in pretty much any type of gemstone, not just emerald, but often in aquamarine, quartz, garnets.

Thanks! I've learned something new. :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With emeralds apart from size, colour and origin are the main price drivers. The closer to vivid emerald green the more expensive. Columbian is generally preferred over Brazilian.
Emeralds can have tone modifier, with Columbian it’s blue green, Brazilian more yellow green if that makes sense.
Emeralds are routinely treated. They have a naturally flawed crystal structure, it’s how they form. Oil is the traditional treatment, it helps conceal the natural flaws giving a clearer look to the gem. Coloured oil is not well regarded as it’s an enhancement designed to deceive ie give a better colour. There is a resin called Opticon that is permanent treatment and sealing of fissures. For a badly flawed emerald this might be the only way to make it wearable but the lowered value is a reflection of this invasive and permanent treatment.
Because emeralds are structurally imperfect, care must be taken when wearing in a ring. An accidental knock can cause the emerald to shear along any inclusion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results