shape
carat
color
clarity

Girlfriends birthday present

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I am trying to figure out my girlfriends birthday present and I am hoping I can get some opions and advice please. She has put me on a budget of $40, she gets upset if I spend more than her. Her birthday is two days after Christmas (which also has a budget of $40), mine is three days after and she is combining Christmas and birthday to get me something that she thinks I really want. So I was going to go and combine mine as well seeing as she doesn't mind that. I am wanting to give her a pendant with either a tanzanite or a fissure filled ruby (she is alright with the idea of these), I haven't made up my mind on that part yet, but I am looking at around $30-$40 for the stone. I am wanting an oval with a halo, for the halo, I already own a bunch of white zircons around 3mm. Can white zircons be used as melee? They're not costing me anything since I own them. I'll be using 925 silver for the metal, her favorite metal is silver, she likes the purity of it and the whiteness. That leaves me with $40-$50 for getting it set, does that sound reasonable? I have never had anything set before. I can afford to spend more, however if I go too much over I will feel a but guilty as me staying in budget for birthday and Christmas presents is a big deal for her. What do you all think of that? Does it sound reasonable?

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Here's a quick sketch of what I have been thinking.

_9729.jpg

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
We're not allowed to discuss lab created stones, but.. you know where I'm heading.

You are sweet to get her jewelry and especially have something made for her. Not sure if that can be done on your budget.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with better ideas.

I have bought 3 natural stones in the past 2 years that each cost was under $100. One was a big 8 (or even 10) carat natural blue topaz that I paid $40. The thing is that even if you get a good deal on a low cost stone, you still have to factor in the cost of setting it. My jeweler charged me $125 to set the last stone I brought to him. The setting itself will cost you something.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
If price is the biggest issue here, I would say go preloved since I'm not quite sure if you can get a stone picked out + set within your budget (If your girlfriend has no objection to that). Another possibility would be to pick a stone with a calibrated size and to pick the setting from there. To my knowledge, the halo would probably be *coughlabcreatedcough* as well given your budget.

That said, I could very well be wrong (and I hope so, since I'd like to set stuff that cheaply too :razz: )

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the replies both of you.

I do at least want the center stone to be natural, I have had my eye on a 8x6mm filled ruby at 1.8 carats, from memory it is around $35. The website is currently down though as the owner is on holidays. I have also been looking at some of Tan's tanzanite s on ebay and some fit into my price range for the gem.

I guess I would be alright looking at other options for the halo, it's not something that bothers her, more so me. I would rather give her something that has been formed within the earth thousands of years ago rather than something produced in the thousands in a factory. For the halo that may be an option though.

I'll look into pre-owned items, I'll try to subtly find out what her opinion on that would be.

We do have several family friends who silversmith as a hobby, I was considering talking to them about it, perhaps I could exchange some sort of manual labour to offset the price of it. I really want to get her something that is beautiful and somewhat unique this year. I feel that what I have given her previously is somewhat lacking and she doesn't very much jewelry either so I want to get her a few nice things she can wear.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert on this forum, but I thought I'd chime in...
First of all, it's very sweet of you to put much so much thought into your girlfriends present to make something nice for her :D
Hopefully you'll be able to talk to some of your metal smith friends about setting the stone for you and maybe trading labor to offset the cost like you said, otherwise I really don't see a possibility of having a halo pendant made within your budget, even if you are using silver and provide your own stones. Most jewelers will charge you about $25-$45 just for the labor to set A stone let alone the cost of making the setting or setting multiple stones like in a halo. It MIGHT be a possibility if you do a very simple solitaire setting. If you are able to work out something with your friends then the halo idea might work. Otherwise if you are open to the idea of simple solitaire setting I did find a stone and a setting on ebay that would hopefully fit together that's within your budget, and still leave you enough money for the cost of setting the stone and buying a chain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-11-CT-SHIMMERING-ULTRA-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-HUE-100-NATURAL-TANZANITE-AAA-COLOR-/271204747745?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3f251009e1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x6-Oval-Pre-notched-Sterling-Silver-Pendant-Setting-Casting-Mount/251333327880?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D1136296981911225904%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D230707931810%26

OR, if you are flexible on what you want to give her for a present there is a beautiful lavender Spinel ring on LT that is somewhat similar in color to a tanzanite and is oval shaped and set in silver for $100 which is just a little over budget. Just thought I'd share that but I know you said you wanted a pendant and tanzanite or ruby. (The ring is the second to last one in the listing)

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/fall-cleaning-rings-for-sale

Also I would be careful if you do decide to go with a fissure filled ruby as opposed to a tanzanite, just because it's going to need extra care when setting which it sounds like you may or may not have a "more practiced" metal smith setting the stone and therefore might have a higher chance of damaging the stone.

No matter what direction you end up going I wish good luck to you, and I'm sure your girlfriend will have a wonderful gift :appl:

**Edited to add that I just found this pendant on Overstock that has a fissure filled ruby and tanzanites if you go the already made route, but it doesn't say if the tanzanites are natural or not, and it only has one review that isn't exactly positive.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Malaika-Sterling-Silver-Ruby-and-Tanzanite-Pendant/6772655/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=nadOCRsk4SoAAEkY:20130908073124:s

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
@Matt
What about going the route of natural topaz/Citrine if your girlfriend likes the colors? That way, you can something decently sized for your budget. Of my purchases below $40, one is a grey-purple spinel (6x5mm), one is a 7.2mm natural clear topaz auctioned off by Uli, one is a 5mm pink spinel by Jeff Davis. I bought most of these to be ring stones, and I like my ring stones smaller, so the topaz was the only one which is, in my opinion, significant enough to be put into a pendant.

There is a pear halo pendant on Diamondbistro at the moment as well that is below budget. I would link it but I'm not quite sure if I'm allowed to.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the link Rissalou, I do really like the look of that tanzanite, however it is slightly off the colour she prefers, she prefers a slightly more saturated stone and with a bit more purple in it. I do have my eye on a possible candidate at the moment actually but I may keep looking as I am not in all that much of a hurry. We have looked at a few pendants together and she always spends more time looking at the stones with halos due because they are usually a lot more sparkly. I could possible go with a solitaire and have the stone re-set into something a little nicer down the track so I can stay within the budget she has given me.

This is the tanzanite I currently have my eye on, it isn't a precision size though, so would it be difficult to set in a pendant like you linked?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-61ct-Exciting-Oval-Purplish-Blue-Tanzanite-/231047005744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cb798630

She does also like pear shapes however from what I can tell they are more difficult to set and as such may be more expensive?

I really like the look of that spinel! She is very very picky when it comes to rings though, she doesn't like many solitaires and she is very particular about them. I do have plans for a ring, however it is a project I would like to do myself, I will be taking silver smithing classes and eventually I would live to be able to make her a ring myself, I already have a stone here that she really likes and always gets out to look at when she is over, it's a heart cut champagne topaz at around half a carat. I won't have the skills to do that though for a long while I don't think.

I'll keep that in mind when I am asking about the ruby, I know they require special care with cleaning and storage but I had not considered the care needed when setting.

I quite like that pendant, however I don't think she would be the biggest fan, she doesn't like jewelry with stones of more than one colour, so she would only really like a ruby or a tanzanite on it's own with white stones along with it.

Thanks Michelle, I do actually already own some larger citrines and white topaz, she doesn't like citrine, or any yellow or orange stone unless it has pink tones in it as well like a pad. Blue topaz could be a possibility as it is used as an alternate birthstone for December. She does prefer tanzanite over blue topaz but if it helps me stay within budget I will seriously consider it. I do own a few blue topaz however they are all highly windowed and I wouldn't want to give any of those to her. I have seen an absolutely beautiful ascher cut blue topaz online though so I know there are some great ones out there.

Do you mean the green one? If so, she is not the biggest fan of most green stones and I also think it wouldn't go well with her skin.

Thank you all so very much, I really do appreciate all the help and suggestions, it is also very great to just get my ideas out there as well so I can look at the, more critically.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Matt! :)
The tanzanite you have your eye on could possibly fit in the setting but there are two things that worry me about that stone. One is the seller's feedback, usually when it comes to buying stones on EBay I don't trust anything below a 99.9 or 100% but that's just me. The other concern is that the seller states that the stone is not treated which for a stone of that color is highly unlikely. Almost all tanzanite of that desirable purple color are heated which is fine and normal, affordable non-heated tanzanite usually has a green hue or is extraordinarily expensive. The fact that the seller is claiming it to be untreated is just a little sketchy in my opinion. I do think if you keep looking, since your not in a hurry you can find another stone in the right color and right budget.

Fissure filled rubies just need extra care during setting due to the heat from a torch, could cause the treatment to become unstable or damage the stone.

I think it's really sweet you plan on taking classes and making her a ring yourself in the future. So since you already have a future ring present planned I suppose it would be good to stick to a pendant. I would say talk to your friends first to see if anyone can work with you on a halo OR raise your budget a little, I'm sure once she saw the pendant she wouldn't be too upset. If that doesn't work out I definitely think you'll have to go the solitude route to stay in budget AND have a natural stone.

Hopefully like you said getting your ideas "on paper" is helping. Just be careful about waiting too long to start, a lot of jewellers get really busy around this time and if you get a stone from out of the country shipping can be delayed a lot longer than you imagine, or something could go wrong and you could end up starting all over.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
I got that seller from the sicky at the top of this forum, and was recommended that seller (but a different store) for a tanzanite I bought for myself. I may let that gem slide though as that description does look a bit sketchy now that you have pointed it out.

I won't be seeing anyone who does silversmithing for a few weeks I don't think, but I will be seeing them in two weeks I think at the local lapidary club where I will be getting lessons, there may even be someone I don't know who would be able to work with me. I could raise my budget by around $20 I think without her minding but if I go too much over she will definitely be upset, she likes us to spend an equal amount on each other. She doesn't earn as much as I do and she gets quite upset if I spend a lot more than she does.
However she might be getting a better job soon so that could perhaps mean I am able to spend more. Fingers crossed!

If all else falls through a solitaire definitely looks like a great option. Thank you so much for your help! I feel I have a much better idea of what I can do within this budget now.

Oh and for interests sake, this is a blue topaz (from memory) that she said she loved the look of.

_9733.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a rather tight budget to be honest, and I would second the idea to look in the preloved section. You might even want to start a "Want to buy" thread since many of us probably have a lot of really lovely pendants we don't wear, but haven't listed out of laziness haha. I know a lot of pricescopers who have a lot of very pretty pieces they bought early on pre-pricescope that they don't wear anymore.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you looked on etsy.com?

it is sweet of you to want to stay within a budget that she is comfortable with.
however, I do have to ask: what would you spend otherwise?

I just did a search on etsy and there are a lot of topaz pendants available.
I particularly like this one: http://www.etsy.com/listing/1583373...cit_scope=1&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=handmade
i'm betting you'll find something in silver that you like.....or that this designer could accommodate your desire for silver.

good luck!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I think it's awfully sweet of you to want to get your girlfriend a nice piece of jewelry. :)) However, I agree with everyone that it might be a bit tough to get the design you want in your budget. If you're open to jewelry from the second-hand market, I found this one on eBay (I know it's not silver, but you could have the gold rhodium plated) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-10k-Y...S_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item3f28fb5f14

This one is another one I liked (the ruby seems to be natural [not lab-made] but it's been treated):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-R...ndcrafted_Artisan_Jewelry&hash=item2c710fa61a

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for those links Makingthegrade, I do quite like the first one you linked, however she is not the biggest fan of green and it does make her skin tone seem a bit off. I don't think the others would be her style either unfortunately.

I hadn't looked on Etsy, but I have just gone through it now.
I like the look of these:
http://www.etsy.com/au/listing/162057651/genuine-tanzanite-necklace-sterling?ref=listing-shop-header-0
http://www.etsy.com/au/listing/76662714/swiss-blue-topaz-and-white-cubic?ref=shop_home_active
http://www.etsy.com/au/listing/161481794/8x6mm-emerald-cut-london-blue-topaz-with?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=blue+topaz+pendant&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=AU&ga_ref=auto8&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=handmade%2Fjewelry%2Fnecklace%2Fstoneblue+topaz+pendant

The original amount I was wanting to spend was $300, still not very much but I had a lot more range than I do now. I was planning on some small diamond studs, I have seen a few pairs of small studs come up on diamondbistro around that price so I was looking at preloaded for those.

Thanks very much for those links! I do quite like the second one you posted, I do see that they have listed it as heat treated, however at that price I am suspicious, it appears awfully clean as well.

Thanks again for all of your help and for listening to my ramblings.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That topaz you posted is definitely gorgeous, it looks like a specialty cut though which can be really pricey. The topaz solitaire pendant that MakingTheGrade posted was really nice though, I'd check that out if you go with topaz.

I like the idea of you having something custom made for your girlfriend though, so hopefully one of your friends will be able to help you out to do the halo pendant that you like. If they would help you out on the cost of setting the stones, I found some things that would work well together. Center stone is still more blue than purple, but much better saturation and clarity than the last one. I know you said you had some halo stones that you could use but they were 3mm's and with this setting those would not fit, so here are some really nice white matched natural topaz that would fit. This would keep you at all natural stones set in silver and put you at $75.80 including shipping, which would leave you just enough left over for a chain. Any cost you go over would be from setting the stones, but as long as your friends help you out you wouldn't be over budget, or at least not that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25ct-Natural-8x5mm-AA-Mind-Blowing-Top-Fire-Flashing-Purplish-Blue-Tanzanite-/360716401401?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item53fc5f7af9

(If you look at the video on this you'll see a little more of the purple come through)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2mm-Matched-Lot-10pcs-Round-Natural-White-TOPAZ-cwt1-/140393291958?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item20b017a0b6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x4mm-10x8mm-Oval-Cluster-Solid-Sterling-Silver-Pendant-Setting-/150739655485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2318c89b3d

(You'd want the 9x7)

Again good luck to you on your journey! :wavey:

*Edited to add, that first link you posted for Etsy is really nice :)

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
An idea just came to me! :bigsmile: I'm not sure if you've heard of Tripps Jewelry, but they sell pre-notched settings. They have one that fits a 7x5 oval shape and (8) 2.5mm melee. Your zircon melee might fit since you said they're "about" 3mm in size... The sterling silver version of the setting is just under $6. You'd just need to find an oval shaped stone with 7x5mm dimensions. I'm wondering if maybe one of your silversmith friends might not mind setting the stones for you, or you could try doing it yourself... (I've used these before, you just pop the stone in and -gently- squeeze the prongs closed with some pliers.)

Here's a link to the setting I mentioned: http://tripps.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=201&page=1

category201.jpg

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! That is absolutely perfect, that setting is almost exactly what I had in mind.

I am a bit wary of straying from a PS respected vendor, I feel that a stone of that clarity and saturation would be worth a lot more than it is advertised as? From the sticky in this forum though, there is this tanzanite that would fit, in the photo it appears dark but I will get on my computer later to view the video, that's the same seller I am currently waiting in my tanzanite to arrive from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18ct-High-Brilliance-Oval-Violetish-Blue-Tanzanite-/331013354734?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item4d11eef4ee
And he has this one here up on another site.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-19ct-Stunning-Oval-Natural-Bluish-Purple-Tanzanite-/350867126265?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item51b14f77f9

I believe I will be taught to set stones, so I should easily be able to get help to do that. Thank you so much for that, it is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Matt_95|1378682932|3516963 said:
Thank you so much! That is absolutely perfect, that setting is almost exactly what I had in mind.

I am a bit wary of straying from a PS respected vendor, I feel that a stone of that clarity and saturation would be worth a lot more than it is advertised as? From the sticky in this forum though, there is this tanzanite that would fit, in the photo it appears dark but I will get on my computer later to view the video, that's the same seller I am currently waiting in my tanzanite to arrive from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18ct-High-Brilliance-Oval-Violetish-Blue-Tanzanite-/331013354734?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item4d11eef4ee
And he has this one here up on another site.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-19ct-Stunning-Oval-Natural-Bluish-Purple-Tanzanite-/350867126265?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item51b14f77f9

I believe I will be taught to set stones, so I should easily be able to get help to do that. Thank you so much for that, it is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Glad I could help! :)) I like the color of the second tanzanite you linked to better than the first one.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
matt, I notice that the etsy listings you linked to are all "classic" and all are in AU.
if in fact you are in AU yourself, you may want to check with doug:

[urlhttp://www.bespoke-gems.com/index.php][/url]

he might have something not listed at this website.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Looks like you and Rissa had the same idea! The setting you linked may be a better fit if I get a gem around 7x5. The zircons may just fit into that, I will have to locate a caliper, I'm not sure how big they are exactly, they're a tad smaller than a stone I have that I know is 3.5mm.

Yes, I am Australian, I have been drooling over Doug's stones for the past few weeks, I was considering one of his cushion cut white topaz however I don't think she likes cushion cuts. For that kind of quality there isn't much I can fit within this budget. The quality of the cut is not something she cares about very much so I don't mind going for something that isn't cut so precisely. Doug's gems are absolutely beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if your budget is doable for a halo setting, even if you bargain for the labour, since the cost is mostly in the labour. The Tripps self-set pendant might be doable if the stones all fit (calibrated size). However, my other concern is that if you get a "native" cut stone, the girdle, symmetry and culet might be slightly wonky and will not fit well into such a setting.

Windowing is a function of a not so good cut so if you find a well cut topaz, you'll be fine. A fancy concave cut blue topaz as shown will blow your budget out of the water. If you are bothered by poor cutting, I don't know if the tanzanite you are currently considering will bother you as well. The culet is off-center, it is slightly windowed and I think will show more of a tilt window more easily.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I don't think your custom designed jewelry piece is at all doable. I think you should look on HSN, QVC, and JTV for ready made jewelry in sterling silver. Right now HSN has many clearance items that will fit your budget. These are the home shopping centers and have some nice pieces at times. $40.00 is very, very, very low. for a completed piece.

Annette

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Maybe contact Multicolour for calibrated 2.5mm melee (white sapphires perhaps) & a calibrated 5x7 oval (rhodolite garnet perhaps). I know they have many very inexpensive stones in these sizes, based on their website you could pick up the melee & the oval for under $30. However, there aren't photos of the actual stones on the website - but maybe David could help if you contacted him directly?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand the desire to be hands-on and design something for your GF.
however, given the budget constraints I personally think you are better off buying something "ready made".
if you decide to satisfy your desire to be hands-on and up your budget to the original $300 then I think the project is doable in a very good way.

Chrono has given you solid advice. there is nothing wrong with a "native" cut stone. however, they do come with issues even if calibrated. many can be "wonky". if you do decide to go that route, have the stone in hand before purchasing a setting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1378742029|3517261 said:
I understand the desire to be hands-on and design something for your GF.
however, given the budget constraints I personally think you are better off buying something "ready made".
if you decide to satisfy your desire to be hands-on and up your budget to the original $300 then I think the project is doable in a very good way.

Chrono has given you solid advice. there is nothing wrong with a "native" cut stone. however, they do come with issues even if calibrated. many can be "wonky". if you do decide to go that route, have the stone in hand before purchasing a setting.

Ditto. Even if you find a very inexpensive stone, having something custom made setting-wise will will quickly put you out of the price range. I would simply look on Esty, filtering by price and by color/stone you want and I'm sure you will find something nice, near your price. there is of course a ton of stuff on Ebay as well.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I agree that your budget isn't going to work for a custom piece, even with silver and non-diamond melee. Daniel M is a good option via Etsy.

I know it doesn't fit exactly what you're looking for, but I would get her one of these. Probably the blue topaz:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/47087558/rainbow-bezels-sliding-bezel-pendant?ref=shop_home_active

You could see how much it would cost to turn this design into a pendant (stone set north/south instead of east/west though):
http://www.etsy.com/listing/59536066/beaded-bezel-blue-topaz-ring?ref=shop_home_active

That last option seems a little similar to what you were designing, just with silver beads instead of melee. Start a conversation with Dan and Caren and let them know what your budget is. I think the price of a pendant would be similar if not a tiny bit less than the price of that oval blue topaz ring.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like that first one, jstar: RAINBOW BEZELS - sliding bezel pendant

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Again.

Yes, that bezel pendent is so nice. It is modern, not overwhelming at all, and completely falling within your price range.

Nice Star(you know who you are.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results