shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Ok another pear question.

I have recently knoticed that one pear I am considering has a thin, possibly very thin girdle near and around the tip of the pear shape. I know this is not considered very good, and may be a potential break point.

My question is, once it is set in a setting, assuming that it is successfully set, how likely is it to be chipped at that point, compared to say a pear with a medium girdle near and around the tip?

Is it considerably more likely to chip?

Does it matter if it is set by someone like Mark Morrell?

Thanks

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rook,

I believe niceice said it best, when he said that
the most important concern about a girdle thickness
is during the setting process. When the diamond survives the setting process you should get a sigh of relief
because the prong can then serve to protect the thin girdle.

The truth about fancy diamonds with points are that it will always be a concern weather it has a medium or thin girdle. The tips will always be a weakness.

Common sence should be your best defence when wearing diamonds.

Kirk

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kirk,

"Common sence should be your best defence when wearing diamonds."

I am having Mark alter the original setting I like to make it more protected and lower. My girl works in a lab and wears latex or cotten gloves often. Although Mark likes the regular prongs on the tips of pears, I was considering a specially made v tip that is more rounded and structured to complement the diamond more and to possibly add support. I will see what he says.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rook,

I am glad this advise helps!

Its never a good idea to tell a consumer that their
is an absolute certainty against chipping. It happens,
but that is one of the foibles of owning a diamond.

Kirk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results