shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle Too Thick on This Diamond?

KSTexan

Rough_Rock
Many of you have been helping me choose a diamond for my wife's replacement engagement ring. I finally chose one, but I'm still educating myself, and I'm a little concerned about the girdle thickness. It's rated Thick to Very Thick. The JA representative told me it wasn't a concern. For whatever it's worth, the cut was labelled as "Ideal". What do you think? I haven't sent the funds yet, so I have the opportunity to change it.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-6768746

DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE: Cushion Modified
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.00
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VVS1
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W (MM): 5.79*5.70
L/W RATIO: 1.02
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
GIRDLE: Slightly Thick - Thick
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As long as the diamond is not Extremely to any side there is no concern, but the thicker the girdle is the smaller the mm sizes of the diamond will be.
On the other hand it will be endless search.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this is a fancy cut stone...as long as the diamond has good light return and the extra weight in the girdle is not eating into the size of the
stone (LxW) then I dont worry about it. Sometimes extra weight in the girdle makes the stones face up smaller.

Edit...with round cut stones we can get pretty picky about what we want and dont want since well cut
stones are relatively standard. Not so for fancy cuts that vary wildly. For fancy cuts you rarely
get everything in one stone that is considered ideal for a specific qualification. You have to set your
priorities and go from there.

Last edited:

KSTexan

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. Unfortunately I made a mistake in the post above. I posted the information for the other diamond (6768746) I was considering. Below (6652414) is the one I picked with the thick-very thick girdle. Notice the size difference, 5.77x5.67 for the thick-very thick girdle, 5.79x5.70 for the slightly thick-thick girdle that was my alternate. Everyone agreed that 6652414 had a little better ASET and looked a little better in the video. Would anyone choose 6768746 over 6652414 just because of the thinner girdle? It sounds like the answer may be "no", but please advise. This decision is driving me nuts!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-6652414

DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE: Cushion Modified
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.00
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VVS2
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W (MM): 5.77*5.67
L/W RATIO: 1.02
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
GIRDLE: Thick - Very Thick